SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M11-A1 has me wrapped around her little finger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M11-A1 has me wrapped around her little finger Login/Join 
posted
Yep, I think I'm hooked. First a little background. Mostly a wheel gun shooter/collector. While serving in the Navy I developed an appreciation for the 1911A1 and still have an early Series 80 GM. First and only experience with a Sig was a P226, 9x19 back in the late 1980's. Felt like I was trying to hang onto a 2x4. Didn't care for it.

Over the next few decades I acquired bottom feeders from Beretta, S&W, CZ, Glock, etc. All good and varied firearms but no SIG's. It's not like I was intentionally avoiding them as there are lots of other brands I've never purchased either but to be honest I'd say the price and the memory of that P226 probably had something to do with it.

Fast forward to autumn of 2017. Our local Gander Mountain was closing and I would stop in once or twice a week to see how much more they had marked things down. It was about two weeks before the scheduled closing date for the store and the handgun selection was getting sparse. Most of what remained I had or just wasn't something that fit my needs.

That's when I noticed several M11-A1's marked at $579. Didn't take but a few minutes on the old IPhone to figure out that was a pretty good price. Asked to check one out and I was quite surprised and pleased with the way it felt. It's a 2013 model with two mags. Evidently it went from one store to another as they closed til it ended up in mine.

There was a coupon in the case saying Sig didn't have enough mags back then to include three but send in the coupon and they'd send me one. I did but I've never seen the third mag.

Anyway I've had her to the ranges quite a few times and I'm hooked. Feels and handles great, shoots pretty small groups where I aim it and functions 100%. Love the sights and the trigger. Also love the fact it has no rail. Really nothing about it I don't like but. Yes I had to add a but.

I'd kind of like a little less width to the grip. Thinking about trying a set of the E2 grips. Will they make enough difference to warrant the expense?

The only regret I have, if you can really call it that is twofold. First at what ended up being $601 out the door I wish I'd have bought all they had that day and secondly, I should have taken another look at Sig years sooner. This is one good gun and will likely relegate my Glock 19 to retirement status. I can't be the only one who likes this model, can I?

Posts: 91 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice find. Wish I stopped by the few GM stores around me before they closed shop. Never took the time.

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't be the only one who likes this model, can I?

Love mine. Get rid of the short reach trigger and it's a gem.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trigger reach is a personal thing. I actually put the short trigger in both my P229 and P228. On the P239, and interestingly on the P220, the regular trigger fits fine.

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Love mine. I did switch out the trigger and swapped the grips with some G10s.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
I am already a sig fan and have several, even a p229 in 40. But my new M11-a1 has recently become my favorite. First time out---160 rounds, zero failures, mixed brass and ammo; including reloads, 1 inch groups at 15 yards. The only thing I did was add the E2 Grips for much the same reason you may want to. I have E-2's on my 226 and my 229 and now on my M11-A1. I have nothing but good things to say about this model.

Bob

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the replies. Also thank you Bob for the comment regarding the E2 grips. I believe I'll order a set/kit. Is there one specific to the M11-A1 as I'm not seeing one on the Sig website?

Any suggestions for a strong side, leather, OWB holster?

Posts: 91 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
Hard to beat the Galco Fletch. you can normally find it on Amazon, Midway, ebay etc

"And that the said Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the Press, or the rights of Conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms; …"
Samuel Adams

Posts: 126 | Location: Southern Missouri | Registered: November 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
You can order the P229 E2 grips. Mr. Gray put them on mine, that i had shipped to his shop. They really helped me, especially with my bad right hand. I am carrying that M11-A1 almost constantly. However, please be aware that although they are quite slender, they are also *very* grippy/abrasive. I don't think you will be disappointed Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I bought my first Sig (a P229 Legion), I was choosing between the Legion and the M11-A1. Even though at that point I did not run a WML on a pistol, I chose the Legion. Good thing, too, since I now run a WML on all my social pistols. That said, the M11-A1 and MK25 models do have some allure for me still.

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First my Stainless west german P230 was the finest sig ever made, and then the M11-A1 /P228 is/was probably the finest sig made, however my M11-A1 has been sitting in the safe for a few years now that my new finest sig ever made, the P225-A1 is in my carry rotation. looking forward to acquiring the next finest sig ever made any time now...

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
10 posts and no pictures? What's wrong with you people? Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Jeepers, rough crowd ! Wink

(BTW, iffin i knew how to do this from my phone, it would likely happen more often :P )

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's better! That the exact gun I want to buy! Can you get it with the E2's, or is that an add-on?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rwilli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
That's better! That the exact gun I want to buy! Can you get it with the E2's, or is that an add-on?

You can order the E2 kit from Sig and other Midway, Brownell's and other parts dealers.

Samuel Adams

Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:

The E2 grips were added...

So, you want an M11-A1 with E2 grips, P-SPIT trigger, all custom tuned by Bruce Gray ?

Well, I suppose if you asked *someone* really, really, really nicely . . . Wink

Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ersatzknarf:
quote:

The E2 grips were added...

So, you want an M11-A1 with E2 grips, P-SPIT trigger, all custom tuned by Bruce Gray ?

Well, I suppose if you asked *someone* really, really, really nicely . . . Wink

Awfully generous karma! Big Grin Unfortunately, I need to save up a few more shekels before I'll be looking to buy one.

ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

posted Hide Post
I fully agree of swapping the trigger and the addition of some G10 grips. I went with Hogue and they are perfect for me.

Posts: 210 | Registered: February 17, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
My M11-A1 is my EDC. I bought it in May 2014 and paid close to MSRP. I think if I had run across the deal you did, I would've bought two (more). It feels great and shoots great. Mine is stock, and the short reach trigger doesn't bother me.

Here's the obligatory pic:

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Will the E2 grip be a better/smaller fit than the Hogue Aluma or G10 grip?

Posts: 18 | Registered: December 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post