SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta Courier
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta Courier Login/Join 
posted
Visiting my LGS, this afternoon, discovered a unique .40 semiauto in the display case. The pistol is a Beretta, 10-shot, finished in a standard black color. The slide is engraved "Courier." I am not familiar with this model, nor did the employees know its history. The pistol was priced in the mid-$300s, probably negotiable, and looked very clean. I came home to do some research but have not located anything online. It resembles the current "Storm" series, somewhat, but the grip frame has a peculiar notched angle, about halfway between the butt and slide. Has anyone owned one of these or might estimate its time of production? I hesitate to purchase obsolete weapons, but this one has a handy, semi-compact size and could find its way to my door.

Posts: 270 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Not a Cougar? Never heard of a Beretta Courier. The Cougar, made during the Klinton AWB era, is the metal predecessor of the current poly Storm.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your photo strongly resembles the pistol I saw. It could be, no one in the shop caught the error when I inquired about it. Whatever it is, it did appear to have a rotating barrel like the current PX4s. Did the Cougar have a good service reputation in its day? Should I leave it alone?

Posts: 270 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Yes, it does have the rotating barrel. It was a reliable pistol. Very soft shooting. But, what killed it was, imo, Beretta's design blunder in making a different mag for it, instead of designing it to accept the already ubiquitous full cap 92 series mag. Who would want a full size 9 that can only take a 10-rounder during the AWB?

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I agree. If they'd stuck with 92 magazines the Cougar would have been a bigger success. I owned one briefly. Felt good. Shot good. The 10 rounders killed it for me.

Posts: 2594 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The clerk did know that it had two 10-shot mags. I probably don't own any compatible holsters and if something breaks, finding parts could be a challenge. I did like the ergonomics but common sense is telling me to steer clear. Thanks for straightening me out on this likely misidentification.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
If it's in good shape for mid $300s, buy it

Posts: 5334 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
If it's in good shape for mid $300s, buy it

This! They're good guns. It has a similar locking system to the PX4, but all metal construction. I recently picked up a PX4 and have been enjoying playing with it. I also got to spend some time with a buddy's mini-cougar in .40 a couple of years ago, and it proved to be a pretty decent gun. IMO the rotating barrel isn't the secret magical answer to recoil that the marketing types want us to think it us, but it's a good system and it works.

Posts: 8589 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I have one in 45 ACP, it's a keeper. I had a compact type L in 9mm, which I should not have sold. They're excellent pistols.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4620 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll have to sleep on it. The price is right for an all steel Beretta, clean and low mileage. It will never replace my EDC P365s but could be a fun range piece.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Beretta handed production over to subsidiary Stoeger Industries in Turkiye. $300 on a Stoeger Cougar was street price when new. $300 on a complete, mint Beretta Cougar is low for any caliber. But, nobody wants .40 anymore.

Check the mag release...if it's an oval style, that's an early one and not worth as much. If it's round; that's interchangeable with the 92 and preferable.

Simpsons has a .40 Stoeger Cougar right now for $325 + shipping plus CC fee and have to call in to buy (as a comparison).

https://simpsonltd.com/stoeger-cougar-8000-c57919/

I still own a couple 8357's and an 8045. Used to have 6-7 of these in total....they're terrific shooters as Q has stated.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My coworker has the Stoeger model in 40S&W
It's like shooting a 22lr next to my 357Sig P320C

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
and if something breaks, finding parts could be a challenge

Not necessarily. While Beretta isn't producing the Cougar any more these days, their subsidiary Stoeger still is. So Beretta/Stoeger Cougar parts are still available.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 9mm Cougar years ago and it was a nice shooting gun. Every bit of quality as the 92 series guns but I agree, the lack of full capacity mags killed it.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need a holster, PM me. I know where there's a good used one for sale.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wasabi
posted Hide Post
I have two 8357s. Great guns I'll keep forever.

Posts: 731 | Location: Lutz, FL | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ogive40
posted Hide Post
Yeah the Mauser M2 had a rotating barrel. In .45acp it really was soft-shooting.

I'd buy that Cougar.

"The final weapon is the brain, all else is supplemental."
John Steinbeck

Posts: 2230 | Location: NJ | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to love Cougars, especially the Compact L’s. The mag issue was Beretta being fucking retarded. So stupid.

Posts: 7538 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was dumb on their part for not having designed the Cougar to use 92 mags from the get go. The only thing I can think of, IIRC, is that the Cougar was announced in 1994 and became available in 1995. The pistol was probably already designed and in production by the time of the AWB in 1994.

As a result of that situation back then, I bought a Cougar 8040F in 40 S&W as soon as they came out figuring if only ten rds are the limit, it might as well be a 40. When the AWB set in 2004, I picked up a 9mm Cougar 8000F and also a 8000L both NIB along with a bunch of Beretta factory LE restricted 15 rd mags when they became available for civilian purchase. Love those pistols.

Posts: 2011 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Any conversion barrels from .40 to 9mm? Or does one just drop in a 9mm barrel and go from there

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post