SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My Zev OZ9c Intial Review/Story
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Zev OZ9c Intial Review/Story Login/Join 
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Oh sure, the Zev pistol has some pretty innovative ideas and on paper looks pretty attractive.
The price point, reliability, and non existent CS turn it into a turd awful quick though. Hence the teenager with the home made rice rocket comparison.
If someone bought a new STI, Dan Wesson, or CS Custom for that price point they can easily get 90-100% of their money back if they decided to sell it off down the road. What are these Zev pistols commanding on the used market?

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I look at more like Mazda making the RX-8: A highly desirable sports car with a fatal flaw and doing little to fix it.

As far as Gunbroker, I think most Gucci Glocks get about 70ish% If it’s a well known brand (Zev, Agency, etc...) while home brews are all over the place.

Most used OZ9s are about the same. Most i’ve seen are about $1200 for the G17 version so you’re losing $400-600. It’s probably where they should have been priced at if they all worked right.

I would still like to know if the OP was having those issues with Glock OEM mags or the PMags the gun comes with. In regards to feeding issues, all the reviews I’ve seen or watch had those issues clear up by using OEM mags.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Mental gymnastics will not change the fact that you can spend 500 bucks and get an ultra-reliable Glock, or you can spend four times that amount to get a drastically altered/modified version of the pistol which won't make it through a magazine without choking.

But, hey- it looks and feels great!!

Just right for the airsoft crowd.

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Glock 35 pistol I have had some "custom" work done to it and bought a 9mm conversion barrel, as I don't like shooting .40. Nothing wrong with the caliber, I am just trying to stick to one caliber of pistol and have a bunch of Glock 17 mags to boot. The slide had some work done on it and I bought a few accessories for it. I think I have about $900 total in it, which is not bad. I bought it for myself to enjoy and keeping it mostly stock has helped. The problem with the fully custom Glock guns unfortunately, is you are not sure what you are going to get. The guns themselves look and sound great on paper but can be problematic. Unfortunately,you will more than likely never get back what you have in them when you sell them. I thought about getting one myself for a retirement gift but the prices are pretty steep for taking a chance. I am not knocking anyone's choice(s) but do appreciate hearing about issues with certain guns that you normally don't hear about problems in a rational manner. Thanks for the review.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like how I can swap Gen 3 parts and slides with the steel chassis and go from a 17 to a 19 grips and back again for a low cost and no trip to the dealer.

If that's the selling point, then why not just get a P320? It facilitates this, has a better trigger than a Glock, and actually works. I don't see what this offers that a P320 x5 doesn't, and the x5 is a lot less money.

Glocks are awesome for what they are. I like my G26, but I like it for what it is and don't expect it to be what it's not. I just don't see any modification to a Glock that is going to make it $1500 better... especially if that modification has an adverse effect on reliability. When I want a gun that does something that my Glock can't do, I'm going to buy a gun that is designed to do that...not throw money at a gun that isn't in hopes that it somehow will.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm still astounded that ZEV sells anything. A quick web search brings up the numerous complaints and gripes. They are lightening quick to delete any bad comments on social media.

Posts: 1660 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I'd like to see them try to delete anything in this forum.

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Mental gymnastics will not change the fact that you can spend 500 bucks and get an ultra-reliable Glock, or you can spend four times that amount to get a drastically altered/modified version of the pistol which won't make it through a magazine without choking.

And I can get a cheap and reliable AK-74 or AKM for dirt cheap that's ultra-reliable or I can pop for a hard to find AK-12 that's much newer and costs more, or why buy a souped up Corvette that costs more than the factory version works just fine Same thing. There's quite a few people out there that have OZ9's that work just fine. Every company makes a lemon, including Glock, and compared to some of the more ridiculous race-pimped Glocks out there, the OZ9 is on the high side of reasonable compared to sending it off to someone to make the ultimate limited/open gun. Different strokes for different folks.

We're also not going to agree on this at all, so we might as well drop it.

quote:
If that's the selling point, then why not just get a P320? It facilitates this, has a better trigger than a Glock, and actually works. I don't see what this offers that a P320 x5 doesn't, and the x5 is a lot less money.

Glocks are awesome for what they are. I like my G26, but I like it for what it is and don't expect it to be what it's not. I just don't see any modification to a Glock that is going to make it $1500 better... especially if that modification has an adverse effect on reliability. When I want a gun that does something that my Glock can't do, I'm going to buy a gun that is designed to do that...not throw money at a gun that isn't in hopes that it somehow will.

I actually have an X5 Legion on order from Big Daddy Unlimited, but thanks to the C-Virus the order is in shipping hell and they can't tell me when it'll ship and refuse to let me cancel the order because of their "distribution model."

The biggest things I like more about it is the 2011 model of the full length steel rail and to be able customize things to my liking at any price point and still be able to do my own gunsmithing. I like the simplicity of the Glock design, I love the reliability, and the lower bore axis. The P320 is starting to get to the point where I'm not stuck with the crappy P250 grip shell, but it's still nowhere close to the Glock yet. I've tried going with other designs like the M&P, but other brands always seem to screw something up. The M&P's trigger is garbage and adds $100ish to junk it for an Apex trigger and in a 9mm I might as well make Apex put it in while they fit a barrel that doesn't unlock early.

I'm also the kind of guy that will spend a little extra in the beginning instead of save money by sending things out and waiting for work to be done, and for the most part you usually keep the reliability unless you really start cutting a lot of holes in stuff to a point that key components are too light to function properly.

quote:
I'm still astounded that ZEV sells anything. A quick web search brings up the numerous complaints and gripes. They are lightening quick to delete any bad comments on social media.

Name recognition. Several years ago I bought a Glock that had the Zev Fulcrum Trigger in it and it was amazing. From the sounds of things with Polymer80 exploding and more companies building great stuff for less, they're cutting quality and keep prices high. I'm interested to see if they turn around like Sig did or follow Remington to the bottom.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
We're also not going to agree on this at all, so we might as well drop it.
"we"? You post a response, then say "Let's drop it." No, you drop it. You want to defend these guys who are charging an arm and a leg to ruin perfectly functional pistols, then you say "we" need to drop it? Sorry, no. Speak for yourself.

Absolutely bizarre. They charge two grand to fuck up a 500 dollar pistol, and you're defending these guys??

I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I will speak for myself, and I don't like that GroundedCLK's gun doesn't work. On the other hand, I'm not going to shit on the entire company right now for sending out a he lemons.

If Zev tells him to pound sand and not do anything about a broken gun, that's REALLY going to make me reverse course. That goes with any company. It's intolerable and unacceptable.

The part I'm arguing in general is there's nothing wrong with blowing a lot of cash on a Gucci Glock as long as the buyer likes it and it works. Narrowing it down, I don't think the OZ9 product line has hit complete total failure yet. I know they had a recall because it a bad batch of trigger bars, but for me there still a lot of potential with this design if they get over the teething problems.

I do want to apologise if you thought I was giving Zev a complete pass and thinking I thought it was perfectly fine to send it a defective product and do nothing about fixing it. I don't it's right at all and I don't remember if GroundedCLK saying that's how Zev treated him.

Picture of GroundedCLK
posted Hide Post
Guys, I love you all (cough, cough)..... as I have been here for 15 years I have met several of the members from the forum. They have seen my "collection" so they are aware that I own a couple guns. Now I am really not being a dick when I say I have a 320 Xcarry, 320 XFive, 320 Carry, four 19's, four 32's, and maybe one or two guns more than that.

STI's track record is worse than Zev's, at least what I have read so yeah... and The ZEV was a cheaper option. Around 99% of all the videos on YouTube say they are slick as shit. I bought a house six years ago when I turned 30 now every year I get a bonus around 17-25k and based upon an agreement with my other half I can spend 20% of it on myself. So I spend it on guns and my reason for buying the Zev is.... I was too cheap to buy a Salient after watching American Assassin.

I tried Glock & Magpul mags both were shit(gun not the mags).

The gun was shit, all mags were shit(with the gun not the mags themselves), didn't function at all, tried to charge me a restocking fee for having it two hours, promised me a refund that never got processed, now I am filing a Better Business Bureau complaint.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQs-goH2uLk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DodRhkDGiDA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15xQjNYRol4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTCtueJ-sZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pE1iBBlyE8k

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GroundedCLK,

Posts: 1843 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry about your experiences with Zev, ever since their pistol came out there were reported problems and bad CS. I come across also about several negative experiences with other Zev pistols and mods. I hate to read how someone's hard earned money is invested on something and turns out in a bad experience.

Posts: 931 | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised about ZEV!

I've shot 2 of them, and loved it. No problems with either one. I put about 100 rds thru one, 300+ thru the other. Not a hiccup, and laser accurate, and I liked the trigger. Never heard a bad thing from the owners of the guns either.

That's the only two experiences I've had with them, and they were favorable.
Now, with that said, I couldn't ever see me spending that much on a Glock!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8349 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Texaspoff
posted Hide Post
I have shot a few OZ's and never had any issues with them.

It is a novel idea, but their pricing is ridiculous.

I have heard about their customer service and it no being so friendly. My wholesaler isn't carrying the OZ pistol any longer, and they are a large outfit so that is saying something.

It is a shame too since they came out with the OZ-9C X I was seriously thinking about trying one out, at dealer pricing of course.. Smile

TXPO

Coldborecustom.com

Posts: 258 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GroundedCLK:
Guys, I love you all (cough, cough).....

Awwwwwww. Smile

It sucks that you got a piece of crap. I also own a gun or three and feel the want to buy something higher end to try but reading posts like yours don't fill me with confidence.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
LGS is a dealer for Zev so I"ve done the Finger frig with a few of them, the trigger is very good at least from a dry fire, and the firearm seems well made, is it a grand better than a normal glock, hard to say.

Still they sell everyone of them they get....

Someone likes the guns...

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It's a neat design, the modular insert. But isn't it fighting the same battle that the metal "Glock" frames did? Finding that they really need the flex of the plastic frame to work well?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Who tried the metal frame before?

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
CCF RaceFrames for one, possibly others.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Don't have experience with Zev pistols, but my lone interaction with their CS left me pissed.

I got a Mega ambi lower years ago to build the wife's gun, but took a long time to get around to building the gun. By the time I did, Mega had been bought out by Zev, but Zev was supposed to support the Mega units. Turns out I was missing a proprietary pin on the Mega lower and Zev fought me when I tried to get it from them.

When I finally got them to send it to me, it literally took 3 weeks to arrive.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post