SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    OK, How about a "The Ugliest Pistol" thread?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, How about a "The Ugliest Pistol" thread? Login/Join 
posted
Let's just up front eliminate the low hanging fruit, and say no Hipoint, and no Glocks. And of course, not ugly as in "stored in a damp basement, used as a hammer, run over by a truck" beat up ugly, just a design that struggles visually.

I found a few in the safe. Yeah, all three of these are what I like to call "experienced condition" but that's because I have no budget! I still think they might all qualify, even if I had 99% condition fresh from the factory examples.

Colt New Service.

Great revolver, I really love it. But... They have always seemed to me to be designed for "heavy duty" over looks. The cylinder release looks unfinished, the ejector rod just hanging out there, the weird front sight profile...

Webly MK VI

Another revolver I just love, but.... It's very "Victorian", and about as far from sexy as it gets.

Colt 1902 Military

I think it's my least sexy looking automatic. (Apart from the plastic stuff). At least the Military is a little better proportioned, the 1902 Sporting Model with it's short grip is even tougher on the eyes. Just an awful lot of barrel on this guy, and the T Square proportions just seem clunky today.

Bill R.

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of those older guns tend to have crude and unsophisticated features sometimes just because of how old they are (technology of the time made it impractical to simultaneously be aesthetically pleasing). So I sometimes cut them slack. Even though I agree they don’t look great. I agree with the Hi-Point too.

I’d add most of the current lineup of polymer Rugers. Very tough-looking (and Ruger’s quality and reliability is definitely beyond question), but quite ugly IMO.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigerbloodwinning:
A lot of those older guns tend to have crude and unsophisticated features sometimes just because of how old they are (technology of the time made it impractical to simultaneously be aesthetically pleasing).

Definitely a time frame thing for the automatics. I was going to add in the C 96 Mauser, but I only had time to edit three shots this morning.

And I wish I could afford a C 93 Borchardt. Talk about "less than attractive"! Cool, but not a hot looking pistola...

Really, when it comes to cutting slack, the thing about the early Browning designs is, yeah, they look awkward and ill proportioned, but at the same time, they "look like guns". All the stuff any Glock shooter would need to run the gun is there and in the same places, more or less. (Not so much the magazine release) Thats pretty impressive for something that early on in the process!

Bill R

Posts: 1121 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not keen on the new Henry revolver they are putting out. For the price, you would think it would look the part.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Personally, I kind of like that 1902 in the OP, ...it's god the long-slide and full-length dustcover going on, and I think it works for it.

There are a ton of ugly guns out there...if I limit the selection to the ugliest one I actually own, it's probably gotta go to my Beretta PX4. I know in the other thread I made clear my appreciation for the 92...but dang if the Beretta design people in charge of aesthetics weren't out to lunch on the day they rolled out the PX4! It does shoot pretty good, though.

Posts: 8583 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would add in the large frame Ruger Revolvers, they are darned close to a Bulldozer in terms of looks. On the plus side I find the 101 rather pretty.

For Semi's I would nominate the P-38, it's got a lot of ugly to it and the magazine release is horrible.

PS; excluding the Glock is a bit unfair, because every single one of them has the styling of a 2x4.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5651 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Let's just up front eliminate the low hanging fruit, and say no Hipoint, and no Glocks.

Dang. I was going to look for the pic of the gangsta glock w/ trigger guard removed. That just looked awful.

Posts: 7360 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I'm going with the old school Steyr

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Personally, I kind of like that 1902 in the OP, ...it's god the long-slide and full-length dustcover going on, and I think it works for it.

There are a ton of ugly guns out there...if I limit the selection to the ugliest one I actually own, it's probably gotta go to my Beretta PX4. I know in the other thread I made clear my appreciation for the 92...but dang if the Beretta design people in charge of aesthetics weren't out to lunch on the day they rolled out the PX4! It does shoot pretty good, though.
I actually quite like the PX4.

Formerly known as tigerbloodwinning

Posts: 341 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4987 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Today I found a hard cover book on Remington firearms history at the Library. Back in the 19th century, Remington made several different models of Derringers. Probably the best one was what we think of as a traditional stack barrel, round butt Derringer. But the prior models had the worst damn looking grip to them. I don't know what to compare them to but they were fully ugly. Mr Remington probably didn't take much pride in putting his brand on them. Some how the little Smoot revolvers came out quite pleasing to see.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Draco. A "large format" 9mm version of an AK.
Heavy. Ugly. Hard to screw up the AK, but its been done.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Today I found a hard cover book on Remington firearms history at the Library. Back in the 19th century, Remington made several different models of Derringers. Probably the best one was what we think of as a traditional stack barrel, round butt Derringer. But the prior models had the worst damn looking grip to them. I don't know what to compare them to but they were fully ugly. Mr Remington probably didn't take much pride in putting his brand on them. Some how the little Smoot revolvers came out quite pleasing to see.

The Remington Rider Derringer?

[IMG]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remington_Rider_Single_Shot_Pistol#/media/File:Remington-Rider_(DavidFagan).jpg[/IMG]

Or the Remington Magazine pistol doesn’t really look much better, but a cool mechanism…

Neither one my photos, I haven’t yet found either in my price range yet!

Bill R

posted Hide Post
For more recent designs the Chiappa Rhino is not what I'd call a looker. Going back a few decades the Nambu Type 94 is pretty fugly. But there was a handgun from the 1950s (I think) called the Dardick that's got to be one of the awkward looking pistols that I've ever seen.

-MG

Posts: 1997 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
quote:

Or the Remington Magazine pistol doesn’t really look much better, but a cool mechanism…

Bill R

posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by monoblok:
For more recent designs the Chiappa Rhino is not what I'd call a looker.

My first thought as well. The Chippa Rhino is absolutely hideous.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Bill R
Worse yet, the Remington Vest Pocket Derringer. Looks like a gang bangers zip gun. I cannot imagine, back in the day, who would carry one. And yes, that Dardick tround gun was a beauty too.

Posts: 17903 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Clerke made some ugly pieces of shit

[/url]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arfmel,

Posts: 26916 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Webley automatic, the reason James Bond never used British handguns.

Rohm "RG" revolver.

Posts: 27968 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post