SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting a P320 .40 to 9mm?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a P320 .40 to 9mm? Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
A friend has a .40 S&W caliber P320 Compact and would like to convert it to 9mm. I know that I when I converted my P250 from .40 S&W, I only needed to swap out the barrel, recoil spring system, and magazines with those designed for 9mm. Does the same apply for those wanting to convert their .40 S&W P320s to 9mm?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10199 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
P320s chambered for 9mm, 357 SIG, and 40 S&W all use the same grip modules and fire control units. Switching among the three cartridges requires the proper magazines, slides, recoil spring assemblies, and barrels. Between 357 and 40 requires only a barrel change.

I use all three rounds with the same “lower.” Smile

Added: I just realized you didn’t mention the slide.
P320 357/40 slides are different from 9mm slides. In addition to the breech face dimensions and how that affects the extractor interface, the former are heavier than 9mm slides. Perhaps most important, though, is that 357/40 barrels are slightly larger in outside diameter than 9mm barrels. Checking just now, a 9mm full size barrel fits into a 357/40 slide, but not surprisingly, it’s a little loose. That combination might work, but I suspect the accuracy would be poor, and perhaps there would be chambering problems.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While it's true you will need a new magazine, slide and barrel when doing stock. Bar-Sto sells a conversion barrel for the P320 that allows you to use the same slide and will only require new mags. Though, for the price of their barrel you can find slides and barrels on ebay for about the same.

Posts: 16 | Registered: November 15, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
The conversion kit is sold out at Sig's website but you can find them for less on GunBroker with a simple search. I wanted to sell a compact 9mm slide barrel and recoil spring assembly last year here and received no interest. Still have it.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Wish your friend was local to me as I would be willing to work a deal on buying his .40. Then he could just buy one in 9mm.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4136 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does the same apply for those wanting to convert their .40 S&W P320s to 9mm?

No. A P320 is just like a P229 in this regard. A .40/.357 slide and barrel have different dimensions at both the muzzle and breech face than a 9mm slide and barrel.

Option 1, factory supported: Acquire a 9mm slide, barrel, recoil assembly, and magazine(s).

Option 2: Acquire a conversion barrel, recoil assembly, and magazine(s).

A conversion barrel is manufactured to the external specs used for .40/.357 but the internal specs used for 9mm.

Posts: 353 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ah3:
A P320 is just like a P229 in this regard.

Actually, not “just like.” When trying to change cartridges with the P229 there is also both the locking insert issue and the fact that original 9mm P229 magazines and 357/40 P229 mags are somewhat different as well. P320 9mm and 357/40 magazines differ in their feed lip dimensions, but they are all the same width and fit into the same grip modules. Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
since in another thread I was sort of trying this in reverse with a P226 I decided to look at my P320 Compact in 9mm. Seems the barrels for the p320 Compact are the same for the older P250 and I had recently bought a 40 cal conversion slide/kit for the P250 but wanted it to be 357 and so ordered a 357 barrel from Sig for a P320 compact. This actually does work in the P250. My point is I looked and the two barrels... 357 & 9mm are a different size outside and the 9mm slide for the p320 will not work with the 357/40 barrels...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the advice. I'm posting a WTB in the SF Classified section for a P320 9mm Compact slide (milled for optical sight), recoil spring assembly, and a 21 round magazine.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10199 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I only have a non milled slide so I can't help you but try doing a search on gunbroker for "P320 complete upper" to see what pops up. A lot of dealers break pistols apart and sell the parts and assemblies separately to boost their profits. You may find a deal that way.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post