SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver trigger pull...which one is best?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver trigger pull...which one is best? Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
When I bought my GP100 back in the early 90's, it had a somewhat heavy, slightly gritty DA trigger pull- at least compared to the 686's the other guys were duty carrying. I started a regimen of dry firing (with spent brass) and after a few thousand cycles found that the internals had self polished to the point that it exceeded the Smiths for smoothness. Also, since it uses a coil spring, there was none of the stacking effect you get with the leaf spring in the Smith. Were I hunting for a large frame revolver, I wouldn't hesitate to get a GP; dollar for dollar its the best option IMO. I'll never part with this one.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15598 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pizza Bob:
quote:
Originally posted by bcjwriter:
I am looking at getting a full-size .357 mag revolver in the future. I have an older S&W 640-1 that has a decent trigger pull, but nothing to write home about. I have heard Smith's factory trigger pull's have gone downhill, and usually need tuning. I have heard the ones from Ruger, Kimber, and Colt are far better.

What's been other's experience? I may invest in a Performance Center model, which do have much better pulls.

To compare a full-size Smith's trigger to your 640 is an apples to oranges comparison. The J-frames use a coil spring while the full size (I assume we're talking an L or N frame) use a leaf that, despite what some people say, is tunable with the strain screw.

New S&W's generally have more consistent (not necessarily better) triggers than their forebearers due to the use of MIM (again, contrary to what some may tell you, not a bad thing) becuase it produces more dimensionally consistent pieces, which means less handfitting, or less work for a gunsmith to get it to competition level.

Ordering a PC gun is no guarantee that you will get a super trigger - it's a crap shoot. I've seen many regular production guns that came with better triggers than the PC guns. Consider a PC gun as a starting point. Buy it for the features and design, not because you think you'll get a fully tuned trigger.

Yes, you can install a lighter main and rebound spring, but that often comes with a host of its own problems. If you are not happy with the trigger out of the box, take it to a competent gunsmith and remember, smooth is better than light (and smooth and light with reliability is best of all).

I've shot IDPA, USPSA and ICORE all with S&W revolvers. This past year I've started using a Ruger GP100 MC for IDPA. It's a nice gun, but I much prefer my Smiths.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Lots of good points. Nothing magical or breathed on with my PC smiths. pro series one started out great and remains great the PC guns have worn in, like a GP100 I have that has seen lots of rounds through it. Hadn’t thought about the leaf versus coil springs, not sure why but explains stacking in colts and Smiths. Smooth and nice break is what I appreciate.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Kimber triggers are great. The edge goes to the kimber DASA in either 3” or 2”. I have a 3” dasa and a 2” DAO kimber with a 2” DASA on order too. They are the best I’ve tried so far.

Is interesting about the kimber triggers. I would not ever buy a kimber 1911 but might entertain the idea of one of their revolvers. Course the panic buying needs to die down a bit.

Posts: 1258 | Location: Duvall WA, USA | Registered: February 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I have a new model S&W Model 66 with a 2.75" barrel that has been worked over by the Performance Center. The trigger on it is very good!

Posts: 6623 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Colt Cobra (2017) and Colt King Cobra (2019) both had excellent trigger pulls out of the box. Compared to my friends "original series" Python even he preferred my newer Colts. Cool

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC (Ret)

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
My latest revolver is a Ruger 3" GP100 in 10mm. It has one of the easiest to stage DA triggers out of the box than almost any revolver I have ever owned. It is a heavy pull but as others have stated that can be tuned with a spring change.
Trigger pull is just one aspect to the feel of a revolver. Balance and the way they feel under recoil are just as important. Handle and shoot as many as you can to find out what your preferences are.

I have the same gun, and as you note it is extremely easy to stage right out of the box. I gave it to Don Williams for a general works polishing and clean up, and one weight lighter hammer spring. It now has such an easy, lighter and smooth DA pull that I don't even think of staging it, though it is still easy to do.

Don did note that a lot of the GP-100's he is seeing now from Ruger are a little shabby on inside clean up, with shavings, etc. from the machining process left inside.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a S&W 686 + 3" and the trigger was OK, nothing to brag about. My friend bought a PC 686 and honestly I could see no difference for the almost $400 cost difference. My local gunsmith for $75 changed the springs and fooled around a little, his words, and made the trigger real nice. BTW, throwing a Korth out into the mix is silly the cost is so out of line with all the other revolvers all parts should be great.

__________________Making Good People Helpless . . . Will Not Make Bad People Harmless!___________________

Posts: 1731 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: May 26, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I did forget to mention that the trigger on my Colt Night Cobra is pretty nice too, although it's a little mushier than the Model 66 or my S&W Model 327 PC.

Posts: 6623 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post