SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Picked Up A Rhino 60DS 357Mag (Or Good Enough For Halrley Quinn, Good Enough For Me)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked Up A Rhino 60DS 357Mag (Or Good Enough For Halrley Quinn, Good Enough For Me) Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
A good friend wanted to buy a new 4" Anaconda and needed some cash. He offered me his Rhino for $750 with three grips and two holsters. I think the money was pretty much on fire from the reentry speeds of me handing it to him.

I've wanted one since the Total Recall remake and then Suicide Squad sealed it up. I have a thing for movie guns.

It feels very good and is actually balanced as it's an alloy frame with a steel barrel insert.

It for sure will make an appearance at Casa De Cockatoo's Independence Day Extravaganza and BBQ.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34121 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Pretty cool. Great deal, too. I wanna see one with a red dot.

Posts: 2016 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buddy has one, they actually shoot well. Recoil is a push back instead of a push up. The FCG is very complicated for a revolver!

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 973 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I know everybody seems to dislike these and I certainly wouldn’t want one as my only gun vs a good Smith or Ruger but damn I love the way these look and feel. I’ve always wanted one. There is just a certain retro future/Blade Runner esqe thing going on that I really dig.

Enjoy it.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
...hate on...
Let's please avoid this silly phraseology.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Nice. I have a hard time with the aesthetics, but I've always wanted to shoot one, just to see if the low bore axis really does make a difference. It would also be interesting to mount a red dot, as there's no slide reciprocation to deal with.

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
My only concern is the cylinder gap blast so close to my hands.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!

Posts: 34121 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a great looking gun that I would absolutely love to try out. If it shot better I would get over the looks. These have always intrigued me. Innovative design that isn’t different just to be different.

Posts: 7507 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
Buddy has one, they actually shoot well. Recoil is a push back instead of a push up. The FCG is very complicated for a revolver!

Yeah, a friend of mine bought one and I got to shoot it. Really odd feeling, both the trigger pull and the recoil. Not my flavor, but definitely an interesting revolver. It's good to see innovation in firearm design.

Posts: 17138 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Fantastic quality gun. Never thought I'd purchase a Chiappa Rhino based on its looks but all it took was a trip years ago to the LGS and after holding it, I knew the revolver would be a keeper.

Funny all of the ridiculously expensive revolvers I've owned that most ask about, yet I now only own two revolvers... and my Rhino 40DS is one of them. Awesome range pistol, which I liken to more of a super fun target revolver with its unique (more European) grip angle. It's easy enough to maintain one's grip without the thumb in the traditional position due to the lower barrel position/cylinder blast gap. My wife & I prefer shooting .38 Special +P ammo in ours.

Congrats on the new acquisition!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please post a range report.

I have been thinking of getting a Rhino for a while in 9mm.

I don't know anyone that owns one, I have been holding off.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Nice!

This was also the basis for Joe Miller’s sidearm on “The Expanse.”

Always looked different and cool - agree on the “Blade Runner-esque” vibe on these.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
This was also the basis for Joe Miller’s sidearm on “The Expanse.”

I just restarted the series, I'll have to keep an eye out for that

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15333 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 2" models look silly to me but that 4" looks perfect. I have been wanting to get one of these for a while. Reminds me of the Mateba.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
The 2" models look silly to me but that 4" looks perfect. I have been wanting to get one of these for a while. Reminds me of the Mateba.

Because they were designed by the same gunsmith.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
My only concern is the cylinder gap blast so close to my hands.

^^^THIS^^^

I was able to shoot one last fall.
Nice gun, fit my hand well, balanced.
Took a second for the natural point of aim, but no big deal.
.38 round and I hardly knew I shot something! Very little muzzle flip. Even the .357 rounds were extremely controllable! I was pleasantly surprised!!!!

HOWEVER- that SOB almost took some serious skin off my support thumb! I'm so used to shooting semi-auto, and even with revolvers, I can work thumbs foreword.

NOT ON THIS PISTOLA!
The gasses at the gap between the cylinder and the barrel will get you if your thumb is near there!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
HOWEVER- that SOB almost took some serious skin off my support thumb! I'm so used to shooting semi-auto, and even with revolvers, I can work thumbs foreword.

NOT ON THIS PISTOLA!
The gasses at the gap between the cylinder and the barrel will get you if your thumb is near there!

CPD beat me to this very same caution. I only narrowly avoided dropping the gun. It left a nice char-mark across my thumb and smarted quite nicely! Curly down your thumbs!

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
OK I loaded up some 124gr JHP over 13gr of 2400.
And fille the cylinder with those little cowboys!

Let's say it was spirited!
It blew fire out everywhere! Big Grin

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39757 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
We will do a video on Independence Day Weekend.

I could hold it in one hand and just double action it and just ring the 8" steel from 50 feet effortlessly.

It likes double action more than single.

Oh, it sill blast the everlovin shit out of your fingers anywhere near the cylinder gap.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!