SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P365 Manual Safety Q
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P365 Manual Safety Q Login/Join 
posted
Have a Q on that perennial favorite, manual safeties on strikers. Specifically, the P365 series.

My question is simply whether carrying a MS P365 with the safety OFF is any different (mechanically) than carrying a non-MS version?

Asking because I'm considering a P365 for carry:
(1) Buy a standard P365 and an XL Grip Module (plus 12 rd XL mags).
(2) Eventually choose either (a) 3 O'clock IWB (XL grip, safety OFF) or (b) AIWB/pocket carry mode (Standard grip, safety ON).

Undecided right now, want to leave options open and shoot the gun first. Kind of a mini project.

Unlike other posts I've seen, this is not about the desirability of a MS generally, or whether it should be used in certain carry modes.

Thanks.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The issue with planning to carry a MS gun with the safety off is that you still need to train to deactivate it on your draw, since it could be inadvertently activated. If you're going to do that, you might as well use it, and get the benefit of having it.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The issue with planning to carry a MS gun with the safety off is that you still need to train to deactivate it on your draw, since it could be inadvertently activated. If you're going to do that, you might as well use it, and get the benefit of having it.

Very good post! (I say that because I was going to post the same thing Wink)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

Absolutely

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m an old 1911 shooter, the thumb safety is just a natural movement for me. Both my regular 365 and XL have the MS, I wasn’t sure how I would like them but they are very natural feeling to me. I have carried Glocks plenty and never gave a thought to not having a MS but I sure think Sig did it right with these. My opinion only

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
It's the same with safety off. I have one with the safety, and I find it holds it's off position very well (hard click) unless you're playing with it or have a holster that interferes with it in some way, I don't think it's likely to be put on or off without you purposely doing it. I carried a 1911 for quite awhile and of course that's safety on, and safety off with draw and present. Never an issue. But if you're main concern is that you'll find yourself wanting to fire and the safety will accidently be engaged then by all means get a non safety version or buy an extra grip module without the cut out and pull the safety out.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I did exactly as you are thinking. Bought a non safety gun, then bought the safety kit and grip module.
The safety itself is just three parts, the lever, spring and plunger. Look on sigsauerparts.com and other sellers and you can see what they look like.
There are YouTube videos showing the installation too. Very simple to do.

https://sigsauerparts.com/sig-...ual-safety-parts-kit

Posts: 9442 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did the same - bought non-safety models and added the safety and a grip with the safety cut. Nice to be able to covert them either way.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the posts. Didn't know you can add (or remove) a manual safety later to any P365, solves my dilemma:

1) Order P365 or P365X with NO manual safety.
2) If I decide later to AIWB or pocket carry rather than IWB later, buy/install manual safety conversion.
3) Alternatively, buy with manual safety. Can always reverse if desired. Point is I'm not locked in to either. My choice.

Generally, I don't like AIWB or pocket carry for a primary gun. Current EDC is an IWB G19. However, with advancing age and medical issues, it may eventually be necessary. At least I have options with the P365 Tinker Toy set. Smile

Thanks again...

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I have an extra P365 frame for no safety. If you get a P365 variant w/ manual safety and later decide you want to go w/o it, I'd be glad to trade frames w/ you.

Posts: 3171 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
I have an extra P365 frame for no safety. If you get a P365 variant w/ manual safety and later decide you want to go w/o it, I'd be glad to trade frames w/ you.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. Right now I'm brainstorming and developing a plan going forward.

With the arthritis in my shooting hand, I may no longer be able to use some of the guns near and dear to my heart. Still range testing and determining what I can shoot/keep. PITA getting old. At the moment, I can still shoot 1911's and DA/SA Sigs. My concern is damage to the hand/muscles/joint/tendons going forward. I feel the .45ACP recoil in my hand for three days and my DA trigger finger aches for a day or two as well. The Glock and P320 Sig strikers don't have any issues. While I'm really a 1911 and classic Sig guy, I may have to leave them behind. Dunno yet.

The P365 fits into the overall plan, especially if the sciatica affects the ability to comfortably carry my Compact size pistols IWB. Lot of unknowns, but I'm attempting to plan ahead.