SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Fiber Optic Front Sight on a carry gun.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fiber Optic Front Sight on a carry gun. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
F/O front on my 320F and it has been fine so far. For all manner of sights for those with vision problems, look no further than Novak. If I ever go all F/O, it will be Dawson.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never cared for fiber optics on guns until I got my Performance Center Shields. Then, two Performance Center Shield Plus models. The factory fiber optics they use are awesome.

I like how they have a metal spiral around the light tube to protect it. Most fiber optics do not come with that.

They have made a HUGE difference to my aging eyes. Now, I have several guns with fiber optics installed.

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 09, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tha1000:
All my guns have FO front sights and black rears. They are plenty durable.

Ditto here.

Dawsons on both my STIs. Both guns have seen thousands of rounds now and been used in multiple classes, banged around, chucked onto gravel, stepped on, etc. and no problem with the fiber optic. (No, that's not an exaggeration, they have been stepped on, etc.)

In fact, it took a lot of effort with pliers to snip the fiber optic out when I needed to swap it. Only thing that "defeated" the sight was me dropping the slide muzzle first when cleaning...right onto the front sight. Scratched up and clogged the muzzle end of the sight post, so I had to cut the fiber optic out to clear the opening. It still worked even when clogged, obviously, but it was an opportunity to swap colors.

Anywho, durability is no concern of mine.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

In fact, it took a lot of effort with pliers to snip the fiber optic out when I needed to swap it.

Easiest way I've found was to use a razor blade and press down on the middle, and it will snap right in half.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I've got a LTT Beretta and a Glock 20 with Dawson Precision sights. I like them a lot, but neither of those is a gun I carry regularly. I've got about 250 warm 10mm rounds through the Glock since I put them on without any issues.

I did remove the fiber optic front from my Wilson Combat and replaced it with a tritium sight. That gun does get carried quite a bit and I wanted a night sight up front.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:

In fact, it took a lot of effort with pliers to snip the fiber optic out when I needed to swap it.

Easiest way I've found was to use a razor blade and press down on the middle, and it will snap right in half.

That was my first go-to with a utility knife and I didn't make much progress so I went to the wire cutters.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I really like the SIG X-Ray front sights for carry pistols.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
I went with Fiber optic + tritium TFX- Pro

^^^^
This is what I have on my Walther PPQ M2s. I know some deputies that like it so well, after shooting mine, that they have it on their personal CCW weapons.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I have Dawsons or Trijicon FO front sights on several pistols including a couple I shoot the piss out of in competition and are used heavily.
I've never had a pipe fall out that was installed properly. I'd think the reason your hear about them coming out is because el cheapo sights from true glow and such are so widely used.
Buy good quality and you won't have any problems.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had numerous fiber breakages and losses on my CZs, OEM and Dawson sights.
On a dark day or in low light they don't do much.
On a bright day people would go look for a Sharpie to dull them down before shooting a stage.
What a winning choice for carry sights.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s just silly. I’ve shot many a match in middle of day bright sunlight and have never found a FO to be too bright. Never seen anyone search for a sharpie to do so either. Oh brother.

Your point could be made for all types of sights. A white dot, a black blade, an orange S&W insert, etc. Lots of sights, the majority in fact don’t perform well under all conditions. Only ones that do are combination sights like the XD or any of the numerous other brand versions that combine a bright daylight ring with a tritium tube. Short of those a FO for carry is as reasonable an option as any.

As for breakage, maybe I’m lucky but my dozen or more guns with FO don’t break. Ever. Coming in and out of holsters too. Installed correctly there isn’t much to break. One tiny exposed bulb at end. Not exactly a spot I hit often. The razor blade in the center is the best way to break them.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like silly.
The only reason I had a Sharpie in my range bag was to dull down FO when the sun was too bright, running the tip along the length of a fiber. Didn't like fiber slowing me down when I was looking for the top edge when I needed it. Me, a couple of GMs I shot with, and a number of people in between. The same reason why people taped half of a tube on ACOGs.
I shot Production with FO sights for about five years, I think, so no, I don't have much of experience installing those rods... I did notice that while I rarely if ever broke a fiber on a Tanfoglio, CZ's broke all the time. Elite II, maybe a couple of times. Maybe it's just me, although I've heard an instructor from South Africa tell a story of hunting somebody down and not finding a fiber on his Beretta when he kinda needed it.
I myself think that fiber is nearly the worst option for a carry gun but if people like them, I am not going to argue. Or did I do just that?

posted Hide Post
You did but like I’ve said before, it is a discussion board so that’s allowed. Now on ACOG’s I agree the FO portion can get bright. As for handgun fiber optics that’s where I disagree. I’ve had older styles and newer styles. All the newer ones have a recess cut into the front so the rod “bulb” is contained. It can’t bloom because it’s literally surrounded by steel. I think if you tried the newer types you would never find it hard to find the “top edge” because it is actually the steel of the sight.

As for breakage, same deal. The newer styles have the classic patridge shape with a recessed rod inserted in. If the rod breaks then you have the classic notch and blade presentation with a tiny hole where the rod used to be.

Try new FO sights and I believe you and your South African buddies would find them more to your liking.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithbc:
So heres the deal. I am 51 years old, and I wear bifocals. I would like to get a fiber optic front sight for my S&W M&P Shield on 9mm. I would like one that will hold up to life on a CCW gun, and not get knocked off.

What manufacturer of sight can you guys recommend?

Thanks

Dawson Sights.
If they are properly press fit, and the tube is melted in correctly, they are very durable. But, they aren’t bomb proof.
If you smash them off of something, they are as vulnerable as any iron pistol sight. You can change FO colors to suit your preference in minutes, for very low cost.

Posts: 181 | Location: NEPA | Registered: March 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Shield 2.0 in my carry rotation. I just ordered a set of Trijicon DI sights for it. My 365 and G26 already have night sights so I thought I’d try a FO/tritium front. The FO seems to be protected. I carry appendix in a Tulster kydex holster and there is no way the front sight could come into contact with the holster. We’ll see when they get here and I get them installed.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cool. Never even heard of DI sights. I would love a review. They seem like they might be wider than I prefer to accommodate that set screw. Interesting though.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
You did but like I’ve said before, it is a discussion board so that’s allowed. Now on ACOG’s I agree the FO portion can get bright. As for handgun fiber optics that’s where I disagree. I’ve had older styles and newer styles. All the newer ones have a recess cut into the front so the rod “bulb” is contained. It can’t bloom because it’s literally surrounded by steel. I think if you tried the newer types you would never find it hard to find the “top edge” because it is actually the steel of the sight.

As for breakage, same deal. The newer styles have the classic patridge shape with a recessed rod inserted in. If the rod breaks then you have the classic notch and blade presentation with a tiny hole where the rod used to be.

Try new FO sights and I believe you and your South African buddies would find them more to your liking.

Not sure I know the difference between old and new FO sights. I started with them in around 2013 on Elite II, and did most shooting with them on Tanfos and Shadows till about 2018. They all kind of looked the same to me in their design.

Fibers come in different diameters. At least for CZs they are available in 1 and 1.5 mm. The latter did leave a reasonably notable hole in a relatively thin front blade for me when the fiber departed. I never let it happen in the match though.

These days it is all red dots for me, so I'll leave fiber for everyone else.

posted Hide Post
Well the first ones I remember happened to be the fiber optics encased in a plastic tubing. I forget the name. Had them on a Walther P99 last century. Hated them. Then there were the kind that used rods “bloomed” on both ends. My WC GP100 have these. Still do. Not good sights. The bloomed end tends to obscure the metal outline of the front sight. The newer ones countersink the rod and do away with most issues.

You mention Dawson. They are good sights but they aren’t the only manufacturer of FO front sights.

If you break a bunch of rods, maybe, just maybe, you should look at what you are doing. Many of us have presented thousands of times from a holster in practice and matches and never seem to break rods like the internet claims.

I bought multiple feet of different colored rods over the years because I always was reading about how often they broke. I change rods now just because I get a hankering for a different color. I can never decide if I prefer red or green. I believe one time I was at a match and realized the rod was missing. Like I mentioned before all that meant was that I shot a match with effectively blacked out sights. That’s it. No big drama.

My pocket suspicion has always been that some people are huge, sloppy gun cleaners. The wrong chemical on a tiny fiber optic rod could conceivably make it brittle or fragile. Me, I’m a wipe it down with a rag and lube guy. Cleaning chemicals or chemicals at all never touch my front sight. That is my theory.

All I know is that I’ve got multiple brands, multiple thicknesses, of FO front sight and a lot of use and breakage has never been an issue.

For carry guns I prefer night sight with the luminous orange yellow or green outlines ala the Trijicon HD’s or Tru Glo’s. Would I ever take a gun out of rotation because it had a FO front? Nope. No reason to. Are there better choices? Yep.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

I'm 72 and had cadillacs in both eyes.
My eye doc looked, and told me, "You have a cataract."

"No," I replied, "Rincoln Town Car."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had them on my GP100 at one time. Its easy to see in daylight or at the range, but doesn’t do anything for you in low light. I prefer the night sights with the white outline around the tritium as a go to sight.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post