SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Decision decisions Which P229 should I buy?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decision decisions Which P229 should I buy? Login/Join 
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted
I posted about a 229and 320 in the last weeek and decided to buy both. The 320 X-Compact is on "order" as I couldn't find one. Now for the 229. While I won't say money is no object, I can buy a P229 Elite Custom for 629.00 new or a Talo edition with the scalloped hammer with 3 mags new for 689.00 or a like new or new 229 Legion for 900-1000.What would you guys recommend?
Thanks, Bob

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Please make your subject line a little more descriptive, if you don't mind.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
P229 Elite Custom for 629.00 new

I would buy this ^^^.

That skeleton hammer for an extra 60 bucks that doesn't do anything better than the regular hammer can do? Nope.

The Legion? I wouldn't buy it, even if it were cheaper. Reasons? I hate the long external extractor and anything that is "Legion".

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
Sorry boss. As you have noticed I don't post much and will change it. Going forward I will be more aware of posting.

But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 239 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
12131 - With the Talo, I would get 1 extra mag for a total of 3 and a holster and a barrel badger. Being a noob at this, I greatly appreciate your advice. I had thought that the Legion was a much better gun and after your comments I have to change my mind on that.

― Marcus Aurelius

and every one of them words rang true and glowed like burnin’ coal.
Picture of TannerBoyl
posted Hide Post
I’m not caught up on Sigs current offerings so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I think the Talo and the Elite come with the short reset trigger. To me, that is a big factor. I’m not sure if the Legion has it.

On a side note, I like the looks of the Legion series. It’s tough to get my hands on one out where I’m at, but I think they look cool. I would buy one if they were available at a reasonable price by me.

Good luck with your decision! Please post pics of your new guns!

Posts: 4594 | Location: Redondo Beach, California | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TannerBoyl:
I think the Talo and the Elite come with the short reset trigger. To me, that is a big factor. I’m not sure if the Legion has it.

It does.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You did not mention it, but what about the M11A1? No rail and the SRT. Maybe a few dollars more than the Elite, but much cheaper that the Legion.(And I do like my P220 Legion - the pistol, not the marketing hype.)

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
DAV
I thought long and hard about the M1A1 and read a lot of reviews. My thought was to spend a grand on a P229, I would get the Legion. So now I see more than two guns in my future. I am leaning toward the Elite custom at 629.00 with the G-10 grips, SRT and night sights and the P320 X-Compact on order. So over the next few months, I will probably get the Legion as well. I am sure that I will give it a lot of thought, but we can never have too many guns right?

― Marcus Aurelius

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
229 Legion in SAO.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
229 Legion in SAO.

And Recoilgunworks has recently been selling CPO Legion SAO’s for $929’ish.

I’m not saying that’s a good price but it is hard to find the SAO for less generally.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
229 Legion in SAO.

Absolutely love mine. Doesn't hurt that knowing someone at Sig means I paid half of MSRP for it. haha

Posts: 2190 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
either of these "Elite" P229 would be a great choice as they are both basically the same, short extractor and Short Reset Trigger and legacy P229/P228 9mm frame + cosmetic features.

The main difference between P229-1's like a M11-A1 vs these "Elites" is that the Elite Custom and Classic Carry are legacy-frame P229
(also same frame as P228) w/short extractor's.

While "Legion" or "M11-a1" are really P229-1's with long extractors, P229-1 slides, P229-1 barrels, P229-1 magazines, P229-1 frames

Original M11/P228 has no major parts compatibility with M11-A1/P229-1, differences being the frame, DE stamped vs US milled slide, short vs long extractor, 9mm magazines, 9mm barrel

P229 Elite's are technically closer to P228/M11 since they have short extractor and legacy 9mm 229/P228 frame.

M11 was just the US military designation for the original German-made P228, like M9 was the 92FS etc

Mec-Gar magazines for both 229-1 and P228/P229 legacy frames both hold 15 and up to 17-18 rounds and are great and affordable

SIG made a majority cut of all classic model lines for 2020 going forward.

This includes all non-legion P220 and more than most of the non-legion P226/P229 lines and a lot more.

FYI Google "2020 discontinued SIG" - you'll find info

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Austin228,

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The Legion has frame features that cannot be found in other models.

It has a weak finish.

It has a good DA / SA trigger.

I prefer it. You may also.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Napoleon, I forgot that list on the M11A1 was within a few hundred of the Legion. You'll be pleased with any version of the P229 you get, maybe even especially multiple versions. And do get a P series Legion, whether 229, 226, or 220. The only weak spot may be - repeat may be - the finish. Oh, and Sig's marketing.
Regarding Austin's concerns about the long extractor, I've got Sigs with each type of extractor, and I've never once had a bit of trouble with either in any of my pistols. Appearance may be the reason some folks don't care for the long extractor - and that's OK - but function isn't affected.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been happy with my M11A1 for the past six years or so. Shot Distinguished with it out at Front Sight while it still had less than 500 rounds through the tube. It's grip is a bit round for me, but I've gotten used to that, and the accuracy is all that I can expect...~3" @ 25 yds with ammunition it likes. Reliability has been virtually 100% with anything I've fed it...from 115 FMJ American Eagle, through half a dozen types of JHP's and even my own reloaded, hand cast 124 gr LSWC's. It's a good gun....Rod...rig below is my version of a Tom Threeperson open top holster. Tight fitted, it needs no safety strap for civilian use. Just checked the pic, that may be my P225A1, which also fits like the M11A1...

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
West German P228.
Why not get the classic original and be done with it?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the finish, grip and trigger on my legion. Plus you get a free pistol bag from 5.11 tactical. Smile

Posts: 7 | Location: King Street | Registered: March 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NaploleonSolo:
P229 Elite Custom for 629.00 new or a Talo edition with the scalloped hammer with 3 mags new for 689.00

I would go with one of these. I have a Legion P226 and it’s a great gun so I don’t hate the legion, but I’m not sure it’s worth the 300-400 price bump for me.

I would probably go with the 629. Meg-gar mags can be had for $25ish so I would probably go with the Elite custom and 2 extra mec-gar mags for the same price as the one extra mag the other one comes with.

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I ended up buying the Elite custom for 629.00 and picked it up yesterday. I will be buying more mags for it and need to remember this has the 228 frame essentially and needs the old style mags.

― Marcus Aurelius