SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Does anyone have the P-220ST/Nitron article written by a member here
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone have the P-220ST/Nitron article written by a member here Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted
Ok, this is a long shot. I am asking for your help to find the story/article that was written by a SIGforum member.

The subject was the early 2000's P-220ST/Nitron models that were made as Test and Evaluation models for Law Enforcement.

I have one of these models and have misplaced the research that was done for this model.

The research included details about the guns and serial numbers from those who were willing to share that information.

IIRC, the gentleman who compiled this research lived in the Midwest, maybe even in Southern, Ohio. I apologize, I do not remember the member's name.

If you have access to this article, would you be so kind as to share it with me?

Thank you!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Hoping someone remembers who comprised this information.

Thx.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36838 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Posted Oct 17, 9:29 PM

Originally Posted Oct 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
A Call for Data & Information: SIGforum P220ST/Nitron
18 October 2010

I Suspect there still are a few double-counts since I have not been able to tack down the 'original' quantity of the P220ST's finished in Nitron - and still awaiting serial number identification of previously owned LEO pieces.

If you are amenable, I would like to discuss with you:

1. Any reasonably accurate specifics regarding the dates of the P220ST Nitron Project
2. Information regarding one of these pistols you currently own
3. Information regarding one of these pistols you may have previously owned
4. Model Number: 220-45-SBS-G or 220-45-SP

Please contact me at: 937.405.7475 or Crescendo@woh.rr.com

Background Information -

1. I recently have gotten interested in establishing a SIG P220 collection, with specific interest in the 220 all stainless models. Recent transactions on the SIGforum have highlighted the P220ST in an all Nitron finish. This aroused my curiosity and sponsored some research into this project.

2. The P220ST/Nitron seems to be an unusual piece to some degree, in that reportedly, a quantity these were prepared for a Law Enforcement (LE) Test & Evaluation (T&E) Project. The LE Project resulted in the SIG P220ST/Nitron pistols being returned to SIG for disposition. Quantities of these pistols have been put into the open market, with some initially appearing around the fall of 2005.
3. My research into this project, or more specifically, the disposition of the pistols made for this project, has uncover sketchy information as to: The preparation of these pistols (Fall 2004?); the time frame for release of these pistols into the market, (Fall 2005?); the number of pistols prepared, (reported figures are between 36 and 86, with 80 something being the most prevalent); whether they were in used condition, CPO's, or new in the box pistols.
4. The range of serial numbers of the project pistols.
5. My correspondence with SIGARMS has revealed the only P220ST's in the Nitron finish were made for this project.
6. I have accumulated data on 116 pistols to date from discussion with owners or previous owners. I appreciate your sharing of this information.

Intended use of this information -

1. A report of findings for my personal interest.
2. The report findings will be made available to current owners of the 220ST/Nitron.
3. The fielding of legitimate questions from SIGforum members regarding the P220ST Nitron pistol.
4. This set of data, may or may not have bearing on either the current value or the future value of these great pistols.

Thanx, Richard

For the Proud Owners of a SIG P220ST-NITRON:
220-45-SBS-G or 220-45-SP-All Nitron

Glad to hear you landed one of these beauties! Following is some background information regarding these great pistols I have amassed by virtue of SIGforum members and dealers who have expressed an interest in these pistols.

HOW MANY OF THESE WERE MADE?
Determining an exact count of these great pistols is difficult. Some of the early estimates of the all-Nitron 220ST' were: 36; 80; 86; 135; and 190. These estimates were obtained from discussions and correspondence with SIGforum members and dealers. My best guess at this point is 120 as of 18 Oct 2010. I feel this number is STILL actually too high, although I have not the data so as to say by how much. Not being able to tie down exact numbers of those produced and/or those in use hampers this effort. Additional information is presented later in the document.

WILL THESE PISTOLS REALIZE A SIGNIFICANT INCREASE IN VALUE?
Many of you have the same questions most of us do: “Is this thing going to be worth anything special in future years?”; “Should I keep it unfired and make it a safe queen?”; “Will I ruin the value if I have some trigger work done?”

Responses to these questions must be determined by the individual owners, and will probably be contingent upon their primary reason for purchasing the piece. Whether you are of the ilk that SIG’s are to be shot, or since it is worth X now, if I keep it in an unfired condition, it should be worth X++ later. Both are sound reasons for purchasing such a pistol, and several buyers/investors/users will undoubtedly do both. If you only have one, and maintain it well, it should (in my humble opinion) retain good value for the life of the pistol. I am, however, unable to affix a dollar value on this at this point.

Several folks have bought them and put them away for an investment. I have a NIB one which is unfired since purchase and I also have one I shoot. I really do not think the value will become exorbitant in my lifetime. That said, I believe a well-maintained pistol, will maintain its value for what it is. The total density, give-or-take 120 is less than most models and there will probably not be anymore of these made.

The following dialogue from a well established SIGforum member has been lifted to exemplify the thought processes folks go through in trying to answer this enigma. This particular person will not be named and is representative of the various commentaries I have seen relative to this issue. (I am using ~ “ “ ~ to indicate approximate post wording since I have taken the liberty to edit some contractions, abbreviations and such.)

~ “I am torn at this point as to whether to make this one a safe queen or not. Due to small numbers of these produced, I am considering sitting on it for awhile to see if any collector value develops. After all, it was purchased 'new' from the shop, even though it had been a demo gun. If this gun were mint, a safe queen it would be. And it's not like I don't have my other 220ST to shoot in the mean time.

The other side of the coin is that the pistol isn’t mint, and SIG's are shooters, none more so that the 220ST. I may not subject this one to a lot of abuse, but I wouldn't mind taking it to the range/match from time to time. I’m going to have to think on this for a bit. I would guess it probably has about 500 rounds through it, just looking at the barrel exterior.

I am also considering sending the pistol back to SIG for the Action Enhancement and Short trigger. I will have to see, based on what if anything develops toward collector status.” ~

A later post from the same individual is interesting and may be of benefit to current owners:
~ “The original P220ST-Nitroned SIG was sold to finance my Navy purchase.

However, prior to the Navy, I came across a second Nitroned 220ST that was in even better shape that the first one I had obtained; it was both a blessing and a curse. I had been quite happy with the first pistol as I had rated it conservatively at about 95%. The second one I came across was rated at 99%, mint, and barely fired. The second one took some of the luster off the first, and since I could not afford to keep both and acquire the Navy, one had to go.
So the first pistol, the 95% one, was sold and I kept the 99% one. It is now residing comfortably in the safe, to soon be put next to the Navy. As I have a regular 220ST (gray colored) that I use for most of my Sig shooting, the Nitroned unit will be in a holding pattern until later. I have heard that SIG is planning on making the Nitroned 220ST a regular in the line-up, so we'll have to see. This particular post was made in September 2005, so that production decision (if made} was probably restricted for LEO/Security/Military use only, and then, unfortunately lasted only until release of the balance of P220ST-Nitron’s produced frames through the end of 2005. However, the one I have was one of only a limited number of LE test pieces, so I consider it somewhat unique. It's also why I was surprised to find a second one. It would appear more than a few made it into my neck of the woods.” ~

WHAT ARE THESE WORTH NOW?
The real worth of any purchase is actually determined by the individual and their reason(s) for purchase. Here is some purchase information which has been provided to me: (These values are still appropriate as of 14 Feb 2009).
USED: $550 to $700
LNIB: $750 to $825
NIB: $850 to $1075

Some lower dollar values were reported which were encumbered by trading; Those prices are not included in the above.

PISTOL SPECIFIC INFORMATION:

The SIG identification of the initial P220ST-Nitron pistols is: 220-45-SBS-G with UPC # 798681 295746

In 2001 SIG entered the Law Enforcement Organization (LEO) market. During the period of 2001 through 2005, the P220ST’s were made. I am reasonably confident the last P220ST-NITRON left SIG on 18 January 2008. Unless SIG changes its direction, there will be no more all stainless P220’s made other than the current Elite series.

In approximation, there are less than 120 123 of these jewels available. My research has provided an estimated count of 117 - 118 - 120 123 which includes both the 220-45-SBS-G pistols and the 220-45-SP pistols. The 123 figure may in fact include a double-count or more, given the inability to verify all the serial numbers. I will cover the 220-45-SP pistols a bit later on.

The 220-45-SBS-G was initially issued as: an all-stainless 220ST finished in NITRON: Trijicon Night Sights; the DA/SA Trigger System; Hogue Rubber Panel Grips; the older narrow serrated trigger; a magazine disconnect safety; and 3 stainless steel 8-round magazines. Some of these pistols have appeared with the “220ST” roll mark on the slide; some have not. However, this was probably an element of stainless NITRON slide availability at SIG, especially during the later releases. I have seen several NITRON 220ST’s with each type of slide; however, I do not know how many of each were released.

These pistols were primarily made for the LEO, Security Agency and other Government Agencies use. The “G” at the end of the model number indicates LEO/Security model and therefore was issued with 3 magazines and the Night Sights; most of these being State Police Forces, SWAT and ERT Teams.

I do not have a very comprehensive accounting of which LEO’s received the pistols for use, but many were sent out for consideration and testing during procurements. One organization I am aware of (through contact with a previous Armorer) was the New Hampshire State Police SWAT Squad.

Approximately 30 – 35 of these were issued for their duty pistols in April 2004. After 3 years of service, their 220ST-NITRON’s were turned in during August 2007 to S&W for replacement with S&W M&P’s. An Armorer at the time related that S&W was not releasing the 220ST-NITRON for individual officer purchase and the P220ST-Nitron pistols were identified to be sold overseas.

In March and April 2008, several of these 220ST-NITRON pistols, which had been under S&W control, started appearing across the US, with the source primarily being CDNN in Abilene, Texas. Some of these were NIB, some lightly used, and some used a bit more, although very much functional.
To what degree Smith & Wesson coordinated their itemization and release with SIG is unknown at this point. The 220ST-NITRON’s S&W released had the label of 220-45-SP and reflected a UPC# of 798681 117680. I recently learned SIG has included several models of the P220 under the 220-45-SP label with additional information identifying some as the P220ST-Nitron pistols. The additional labeling for the Nitron pistols re-released via Smith & Wesson is – 503325 2028647-2.

The unknown regarding the actual number of the 220ST-NITRON pistols is still prevalent due to the inability of getting total production numbers from SIG. Additionally, all of the owners of these may not have provided cognizance of ownership and knowledge of their serial numbers.

Some pistols have been showing up with differing configurations, such as triggers, grips and sights, but these were adjustments made by the owners after acquisition.
--------------------------------------------------------------
If you discover any additional information regarding your pistol, or you acquire one (or more), I would appreciate your sharing of that info. Also, perchance any Armorer’s, either current or previous, have any information regarding numbers, serial numbers or usage, WHICH CAN BE SHARED, I would greatly appreciate such.

And last, but surely not the least, I thank all of the forum members, owners, dealers, and otherwise interested parties who have assisted in compiling the data set I currently have.

Thank you for your patience and I will be embellishing this info for the report to be presented to the owners and dealers I have on record.

Richard / Crescendo on SIGforum

Posts: 2211 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir!!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2494 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU!!!

I'm also one of the original P220ST Nitron owners. I got the email and article back in the day but that laptop died a decade ago.

Thanks for putting this back up.

I bought mine in 2005 for about $565. Sent it back to Trijicon in 2018 and had them relamp the sights (they actually installed new ones for the same price as they didn't make that style anymore).

The rust on the screws is from sitting in the basement up in Maine for a decade while I was out and about. It cleaned off lol.

I shot the hell out of this while I was in VA. Probably close to 3K rounds, a lot of them cheap Lancer reman. It gobbled up 185 and 200 grain SWC's with no issue. (I shot at an indoor range in Woodbridge off of the Dixie highway. I think someone committed suicide there and it burned down? After I was gone anyway).

Checking my logs the last time I fired it was 2016 here in the ENC. Put 170 rounds through it. (Log only shows the 170 as the original, like the report, was lost when my laptop died somewhere in southern CA...)

I have a stamped slide P220 but this just feels good in the hand.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always such helpful people on this forum.

Posts: 713 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

posted Hide Post
quote:
Model Number: 220-45-SBS-G or 220-45-SP

Interesting

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since this post has been "bumped", I will add a variation that falls into the batch of pistols which are the subject of Richard's research project.

What I have recently acquired is this:
Early model with internal extractor slide (G389923)
Mine happens to be a factory "Red Box" which made it back to the consumer market around (2017)

Response from Sig Sauer:
Thank you for contacting Sig Sauer
The build date is 09-JUL-2007. It shipped to a LE agency in Texas around the same time, we are not at liberty to advise specifically where unfortunately. All firearms shipments are confidential. It was sent in as a used department trade in around 01-MAY-2017 and refurbished to factory specifications.

The "Red Box" configuration as follows:
Box label - UD220-45-B1 (P220, 45, USED, EXELLENT CONDITION)
Contrast sights, rear post, front dot
Factory Sig black plastic grips, right - "SIG SAUER", left - "P220"
Slide right side "P220 ST"
Slide left side "SIG SAUER" "SiGARMS INC." "EXETER-NH-USA"
Frame is NOT marked with "DE"
Frame right side "-SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-" "FRAME MADE IN GERMANY"

Posts: 159 | Location: PA | Registered: December 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
^^^
quote:
Frame is NOT marked with "DE"
Frame right side "-SIGARMS INC. EXETER NH-" "FRAME MADE IN GERMANY"

This is a 2007 gun, originally. That's why you don't have the "DE" marking. The Germans didn't start marking "DE" on their SIGs until 2009.

Q

Posts: 26344 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a nice older thread regarding the P220 ST All Black, (Nitron).

I also have one of these, sn: G355231 that I think was originally made on 22-June-2019 and refurbished at Sig in 2004. Some of the other stickers on the red box say: UD220-45-B1, P220 45 Used Excellent Condition. And on the serial number sticker: 220R 45ACP 4.4"BL LN CPO.

The only markings on the frame is the serial number on both sides. The left side of the slide has SIGARMS INC. EXETER-NH-USA.

I bought this used in a CPO red box from Bud's Gun Shop in TN a couple years ago. It has the factory E2 grips (without screws) and looks to have never been fired. I'm sure it was fired at some point but if Sig rebuilt it, they covered up any and all signs of wear. The only sign it shows to have been pre-owned is that someone put a piece of grip tape on the front of the grip. I have a new set of E2 grips on my Sig Parts Shelf but I haven't installed them because the ones on it show so little wear.

I have a Sig Foxtrot 1X light on the rail.

This P220 ST is a perfect compliment to my P220 Compact.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 232 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one. With the original case.

Posts: 3483 | Location: Illinois | Registered: September 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember the post from years ago. I have one of the NITRON stainless P220 pistols. Model listed on the box is 220R-45-SBSS. Date on box is 09-Sept-2011. Pistol has siglite sights on it. I had crimson trace grips put on it before I left the store with it.

Posts: 6 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: December 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a P220ST that's finished in black but I don't know if it's one of these. The slide says only P220 (no ST). Serial number begins G376. It has the thin, serrated trigger & internal extractor. I've been using it as a suppressor host and it makes a really good one. Very nice trigger.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post