SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P30L fans?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P30L fans? Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
So I finally picked up a HK P30L V3 the other day, got it cleaned up though haven't shot it yet. I honestly always thought the P30L was cool, and of course with the first Wick movie that increased my interest in it, though I never really wanted one enough to spend the money on it. When I finally held one though few months back, between the ergos and balance coupled with the light weight and seemingly excellent overall build quality that is common with HK, I knew I had to have one.

I think I'll keep the stock size small grip panels in as they fit well in the hand and I can't imagine it being more comfortable, though maybe I'll play around with the panels after I shoot it.

Dry firing the trigger I'll echo what has been said as it's a decent amount of take up though an acceptable break, and the travel is smooth IMHO so I'm fine with it. Again, we shall see at the range. If I remember correctly, Grayguns worked on HK triggers so maybe there is an option there down the line if it needs attention.

Does anyone have any tips or testimonials on owning or shooting the P30L?

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No longer have any HK, but the the Light LEM is my favorite action variant. The DA/SA on the P30 sucks almost as bad as that on the USP.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been a big fan of the P30 for many years now. I've held a P30L and really liked the balance, but I've never run across one at a fair price. One day...

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
No longer have any HK, but the the Light LEM is my favorite action variant. The DA/SA on the P30 sucks almost as bad as that on the USP.

I've had a P30 DA/SA for years and the ergonomics & reliability rank right up there, but the trigger is really crap compared to my P226's & 229.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
To those who have a P30 and P30L, is there any appreciable difference in shooting in terms of recoil and accuracy?

Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend the GrayGuns Short Reset System for HK. They also make a straight trigger made of metal instead of polymer.

quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:
I've been a big fan of the P30 for many years now. I've held a P30L and really liked the balance, but I've never run across one at a fair price. One day...

Depending on which variant, I've seen them online lately for ~$700.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hlb14:

https://www.cdnnsports.com/hk-...ongslide-v3-9mm.html

699 at CDNN for P30L V3 - only 6 left

I have a USPc45(light LEM), P30, P30L, VP9( with also a VP9L OR and VP-T OR slides.

My P30 is grey guns DA/SA so that's nice, my P30L has light LEM which is my favorite trigger for HK.

I'd say honestly not much difference they're both accurate and 100% reliable

P30L's are forever overpriced due to John Wick I think.

If you pay attention to gun.deals or www.wikiarms.com you can find deals

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P30S, P30LS, and P30SKS. With the small inserts they fit my hand better than any other pistol. Using same mags as the VP9 is a nice benefit too.

P30L can have weak ejection with range ammo. It's tuned for Euro/NATO 124 I think. 115 WWB isn't quite stout enough. With break in or leaving the slide locked back in the safe, should improve.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Have the p30Ls with a stream light in the house. Always shot well with Hk range. Had the p30 pre wick but decided to upgrade. Never had a problem with the trigger - I’m just not that sensitive.

Ccw p2000sk. Can use the mags for the p30 in the p2000 as needed.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
To those who have a P30 and P30L, is there any appreciable difference in shooting in terms of recoil and accuracy?

Don't have L anymore, and barely shoot my P30 but I did run them extensively, 2011-2017 or so. I bought L for competition because everyone said gotta use longer slide. Maybe L was a bit softer but I ended up preferring a faster cycling, or so it seemed to me, regular P30. The sight radius didn't seem to matter much either.
That preference carried over on other makes. For example, I prefer G19x/G45 over G17 or G34.
Overall, I didn't feel that there was a huge difference in performance between the two but fast, relatively up close stuff went better with a P30 for me and it carried better so I let P30L go.

Posts: 481 | Registered: April 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I bought a P30L in 2013. I just love it and it is one of my very top favorite 9MM pistols along with my SIG P226 and Glock 19. I also have the HK45.

I suggest trying out the various back straps and see how you can shoot the pistol under live fire with each and don't go by "what feels the best" as the results may surprise you.

If you find the DA too heavy or stacking that is not to your liking there are a couple easy spring changes that could remedy that - a lighter hammer spring and/or the lighter firing pin block spring made by HK. That would also lower SA trigger pull a bit too.

Here is mine.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post

Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys thanks for the info!

posted Hide Post
I bought my P30L from Bud's for $589 shipped. HK was having some sort of promo, and at the time (mid-2018) there was no tax charged.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had mine a month or two now. Stock trigger is pretty lousy but the Grayguns short reset kit and trigger help a bunch. It shoots wicked soft being a fairly big pistol and 9mm. Really happy with it.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Anyone get finger soreness from the trough line cutout along the bottom of the trigger guard? Dry firing a few times it seems like it rubs some though my finger isn’t sore after. Maybe after a hundred or so rounds though we shall see.

Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
Yes, My P30L's trigger trough chaffs my index finger too, so much so I had to sand & buff it out. Much better now.Smile

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just recently sold my P30L. Wanting a little smaller DA/SA gun so it’s come down to a P229 or a regular size P30 decocker only .

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
Just recently sold my P30L. Wanting a little smaller DA/SA gun so it’s come down to a P229 or a regular size P30 decocker only .

Love my P229 but for carry I went with the P30SK, might be worth looking into. HK makes 13 round and 15 round magazines for it. I CCW it with the 13 round magazine. P30 has the same grip lenghth as the P30L.

This is mine before they came out with the HK 13 round magazine and I was using X-Grip extender.

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P7M8
I have had a USPc, P2000SK and I think another one still in the mix.
I still own the P7M8 and several HK Black rifles (91, 94, 94, SP89, UMP and something else I can't recall) but HK handguns don't work for me. I have smaller hands and have never been able to find a short trigger like Sig offers so I have to pass on HK... Now, if there is a short trigger avail please let me know!!!!

Posts: 298 | Registered: December 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post