SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Dawson Precision tool less guide rod
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dawson Precision tool less guide rod Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Hey all-

Based on opinions I have seen here, I bought the Dawson Precision tool less guide rod to replace the 2-piece full length guide rod on the new TRP. I hate having to get an allen wrench to take down my gun and the Dawson is supposed to cure that.
Unfortunately, Springfield has to be a little different. They have a small ridge built in to the guide rod channel that makes using the Dawson rod impossible. I called Dawson and they confirmed the diagnosis. They also said it is common for people to hone out that ridge and use their rod anyway.

What does the brain trust say? Hone it out and use it?
Or use the stock setup and throw the Dawson in the parts drawer? (It can't be returned)

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a new SA Professional Operator (.45). I don't have the allen key requirement but my Springfield was so 'Hard Fit' I thought I'd have a heart attack just field striping it the first time. The Bushing is still a hard fit and makes me wish I had the allen key instead :-)

I'm sure most will disagree but IMHO, if it's part of your carry rotation, I wouldn't hone it out and then depend on it. Consider me a hypocrite however. I've done either a .25 trigger job to my Glocks or replaced them with Zev triggers and carry them so ...

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think I'm comfortable carrying it either way. The ridge is tiny and also non-standard for 1911's. Springfield just decided to be different. I don't think altering that out of the gun compromises the function since it really just returns it to "standard".
Still deciding.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a bushing barrel? If so, I'd go GI and not look back.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
It is a bushing barrel.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Is this a bushing barrel? If so, I'd go GI and not look back.

This. My "Loaded" had the goofy full-length guide rod and I swapped it out for a GI-style unit. Easy, inexpensive, zero modification to the gun, and no regrets.

Posts: 8605 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The Dawson is a sunk cost. I'm having the trigger done on it so rather than buy the GI guide rod I will just have the gunsmith hone that ridge out.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli