This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2590067394

July 30, 2022, 03:06 PM
SIGnified
NGD; Olde skewl P6
After waiting flipping forever …

New to me, well worn P6

Any notion with the stamping on the slide muzzle end is? NW 1/83 830

Making stuff up here. Is it a particular police department and the issue/number of P6 issued … in total? No idear …

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 03:11 PM
pedropcola
Nice pickup.

Just an FYI if you are interested. I bought a bunch of PW Arms Beretta Cougar L’s back in the day. My FFL knew I hated the import marks. He cleaned them off and used some Aluma Black and to this day you can only see the marks if you angle it just right in the light.
July 30, 2022, 03:17 PM
SIGnified
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Nice pickup.

Just an FYI if you are interested. I bought a bunch of PW Arms Beretta Cougar L’s back in the day. My FFL knew I hated the import marks. He cleaned them off and used some Aluma Black and to this day you can only see the marks if you angle it just right in the light.

Thank you for that… It is ugly… However I may have a reason for not minding so much… just darken it is a great idea!

Do you know what was done to prep the finish?

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 03:23 PM
pedropcola
It was years ago but I think it was the standard iso alcohol on a q tip to clean out any residual oils, let it dry, and a couple “coats” of the AlumaBlack.
July 30, 2022, 03:58 PM
Beretta92
I saw one just like it the other day with the blue box
If you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back?
IIRC the gun shop wanted $599 for the one they had & was a CIA Import IIRC???
I used to have a P225 Orange Box I got CHEAP & sold like an Idiot
That flat thin gun fits the hand most excellent

Trying an Avatar & think it must be hosted HERE on SIGFORUM

July 30, 2022, 04:19 PM
PCWyoming
quote:
NW 1/83 830

My guess:
I think NW is the unit the pistol was issued to.
1/83 is month and year of manufacture.
830 should be the last three of the serial number.

PC
July 30, 2022, 04:24 PM
parabellum
NW = Nordrhein-Westfalen

1/83 = January, 1983

830 is probaly an inventory nuber for the pistol.
July 30, 2022, 04:42 PM
SIGnified
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta92:
I saw one just like it the other day with the blue box
If you don't mind me asking, what did it set you back?
IIRC the gun shop wanted $599 for the one they had & was a CIA Import IIRC???
I used to have a P225 Orange Box I got CHEAP & sold like an Idiot
That flat thin gun fits the hand most excellent

Trying an Avatar & think it must be hosted HERE on SIGFORUM

EDIT: correction $610. (Auction)

Thank you Para for the information… Much appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 04:45 PM
Udo
The 830 should be the last three digits of the full serial. It’s fuzzy at magnification, but I read 838 and it appears to be matching.
July 30, 2022, 04:47 PM
SIGnified
^^^ yup!

~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 05:13 PM
parabellum
NW could stand for something else. IIRC, it's usually abbreviated as "NRW".
July 30, 2022, 05:24 PM
Udo
Both NRW and NW are correct. When the first pistols were purchased the area was called Nord Rhien Westfalen, later it morphed into two words as Para noted Nordrhien. This police unit purchased P6s over a long period and was an early adopter. Regardless the P6/P225 pistols are a fantastic police/carry gun and a joy to carry and shoot.
July 30, 2022, 05:47 PM
SIGnified
I used to compete on plate racks with a P225.

Indoors, side-by-side with another fella… It was one really smart feller who also was wicked handy with a pistol…

He would start with his gun unassembled down to slide, barrel, guide rod, frame.

“Beeeeep” then assemble to clean the rack and be done before I can get to plate number 4/6. Humbling.

~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 06:34 PM
mike28w
I had one years ago and regret trading it! Mine was a good shooter!
July 30, 2022, 07:56 PM
Kobren
You got a great deal on that P-6. With the money you saved might want to buy a few spare factory mags.
July 30, 2022, 07:59 PM
SIGnified
I will say the magazine pops out with vigor!

It has the American style release… I assume P225 mags will work. I guess I could just go try it. Wink

~Robert A. Heinlein
July 30, 2022, 08:25 PM
P-220
What a fine looking P6.

I never tire of viewing old school Sigs.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve
July 30, 2022, 10:04 PM
TheFrontRange
Congratulations!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza
July 31, 2022, 09:40 AM
SIGnified
Thank you brothers.

Today I’ll clean it and look at the chamber. Do some comparisons with a P225. See how hard the mod is to accept HPs. The other P6 thread was very helpful.

~Robert A. Heinlein
July 31, 2022, 02:35 PM
SIGnified
I found this mark underneath the right hand grip.

~Robert A. Heinlein