SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Converting a CZ Czechmate to a .357 SIG?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting a CZ Czechmate to a .357 SIG? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
Or even to a .40 S&W.

Random I know, but it’s the same base frame, magazines etc. as the TSO that’s offered in 9mm and 40. Besides the barrel and comp, the biggest issue I see is potentially the breech face of the slide. The TSO in 9mm I looked at seems to be the same barrel, hood and such in size as the .40, just with a different chamber and bore.

Why? Because. Mainly because I have no desire to mess with 9mm Major. The Czechmate isn’t an option in .38 Super Comp etc. and both .357 Sig and .40 SW brass is much easier and cheaper to find and both make USPSA Major power factor in the original design. Plus it would be an oddball. I saw a guy shooting an STI open gun in .40 and it was cool.

I thought about making my TSO in .40 into an open gun, but the frame has to be cut back to allow the comp to move back and down during firing. The biggest issue there is it that the serial number is in the way. I believe that can be addressed with the right paperwork but I’d rather not.

Crazy thoughts on a cold foggy morning.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Not so crazy, IMHO - that'd make one hell of a 357SIG, and the comp would definitely get some use.

Does CZ's custom shop actually do custom work, or do they just produce "custom shop models"?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Here's a .40 S&W barrel.

https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-...tactical-sports.html

You could call and ask about 357 Sig barrels.

They were selling first generation TS pistols in 357 Sig a few years ago.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
For USPSA you will be putting your initial magazine capacity down quite a few rounds. For some stages this might not matter but you will definitely find a time where you will want those extra rounds. You will also be sinking a lot of money into a TS slide modification, barrel reaming, refinishing, and hassles tuning a 9mm stick magazine to 357SIG that you will struggle to get your money out of if you ever grow tired of it.
For what it's worth, I run 9.6 of Major Pistol (similar to AA#7) and a 125gr theBlueBullets at 1350fps. Not signs of pressure on the case, but I did throat the barrel a little deeper to take advantage of a longer overall length. It shoots flat and 9mm brass is a dime a dozen.

In regards to just the barrel work, I fitted a 9mm barrel to a 40S&W slide and had it reamed to a 357SIG chamber by CZ Custom. You will probably have to reshape the feedramp as well but it works out nicely. I can push a 125gr Gold Dot at ~1500fps. It's too much of a round for USPSA gaming. Smile

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Mag capacity isn’t a concern, I can get 23 into a .40 TSO mag with mag extension. More for fun but something different that I can still shoot for USPSA.

I could put a TSO 40 slide on a Czechmate and that would leave me needing a barrel with comp.

KKM was going to make CZ barrels when I talked to them in 2019 I think it was but I don’t see any listed.

I had a .357 Sig 1911 but sold it before USPSA changed to allow .357 Sig as a Major power factor cartridge.

Posts: 8343 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Mag capacity isn’t a concern, I can get 23 into a .40 TSO mag with mag extension. More for fun but something different that I can still shoot for USPSA.

Since CZ Custom is making their own pistols and the bull barrel slides, it would probably be an easy change for them to the larger breech face.

You could always get a TS 40 slide, threaded 9mm TS barrel, convert it (barrel) to 357SIG and put on a threaded comp. It would be long but functional.

Sebo makes aftermarket compensators that should match pretty closely with the TS profile.

There is a guy in the San Diego area on the CZ Forum who does crazy open builds all the time. If you look on that forum you should find them. He even had some aluminum compensators made and I picked up a couple "in the raw" but can't get anyone to hard anodize them for me.

Posts: 1789 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
That was the other route I was thinking. TSO slide with a new barrel and comp on a Czechmate frame.

It’s probably the same guy on the Enos forum building CZ Open guns.

Whether this happens or not, it might be a good enough excuse to buy a Czechmate. Shoot 9mm minor for a Steel Challenge gun.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I'm a little lost. Do you own either the Tactical Sport or a Czechmate, and you're trying to convert it? Or starting from scratch.

ETA:
Okay... I think I see part of my over all confusion." Mainly because I have to desire to mess with 9mm Major."

You meant to type "no desire".

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Yes, good catch. NO desire to mess with 9 Major. Looks like I need to fix a grammar and spelling mistake or two.

I have a TSO in .40 and I am thinking of buying a Czechmate to convert.