SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Well I bit the bullet, after years of wanting a professional ultrasonic cleaner
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Well I bit the bullet, after years of wanting a professional ultrasonic cleaner Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Rhino, Yeah. I think that is what I am having to go with. I put about 1500-2k through this though and all that 22lr crap really does a number on the areas where the small parts are. My 22lr pistols are the primary reason I went to this solution, er problem maker.

This p226 is my primary trainer. 15 mags, with 15 rounds each. Its a good cheap way to continue training.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
What a lot of people don't know, and maybe what the instructions didn't tell you, is that ultrasonic cleaning is really a very violent way to clean things. Cavitational erosion is a serious problem with finished aluminum and other metals, especially if the temperature is over 130 degrees with even mild solutions. With ionized solutions, it becomes a problem at under 100 degrees. Not using a basket, or not at least suspending whatever you are cleaning so that it doesn't touch the bottom or the sides of the cleaner bowl is a sure way to cause serious damage regardless of the temperature or solution.

Someone mentioned having your frame hard chromed. That may be a solution, especially of the erosion got into the anodizing on the frame. But whatever solution you come up with, cleaning ultrasonically will almost certainly do damage again to a coated frame. Ultrasonic cleaners are used for removing nickel and hard chrome plating.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ajp3jeh
posted Hide Post
After a lot of research, I ended up buying Lucas' Ultrasonic fluid. It doesn't require an oil bath afterwards and tolerates being run at high temperatures.

https://lucasoil.com/products/...trasonic-gun-cleaner

AKA John E. Hearne

"Shoot deliberately" - Wyatt Earp
"Tache/psyche effect - a polite way of saying 'you suck.'" - GG
"The 8th Marines dominate an environment. You, with your pistol, merely exist." - GG
http://www.dvctargets.com - Promoting excellence and realisim in combative shooting.

Posts: 1748 | Location: Northern Mississippi | Registered: November 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Subscribed.

Old thread, but a lot of good info. in it.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
A previous poster got it right, it’s the actual ultrasonic “waves” for lack of a better term that damages aluminum, not just chemicals.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
So is a basket/suspension a sure way to avoid damage to anodized aluminum, or is it simply best to clean such frames by hand?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
So is a basket/suspension a sure way to avoid damage to anodized aluminum, or is it simply best to clean such frames by hand?

Long story short, I think that is the key. I did not use a basket when doing that pistol.

The company refunded me the money for the machine. THey were professional and quick. Class acts, so much so, I bought the machine again and have used it a dozen times over with a basket, and beaker set up on small parts.

It is a fantastic cleaner.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, I'll just stick with doing it buy hand and letting some of them be dirty longer....

A gallon jug of Mineral Spirits lasts me a long time.
If the Ultrasonic route is what you desire, that's great.

But I don't have to worry about what parts not to clean with Mineral Spirits.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post