SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 Aftermarket Grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 Aftermarket Grips Login/Join 
posted
A fan of wood/steel classics, I bought an economy priced set ("KSD" brand) of wood grips for my P220 Carry. When they are installed and the four grip screws are tightened about a quarter of the way, the magazine cannot be inserted or withdrawn. It's obvious that the screws are interfering. I have never used washers, rubber gaskets or other spacers on the original Sig grips. Before I give up and return this pretty wood set, has anyone had a similar experience? Given the .45 recoil, I cannot use this pistol unless the grip screws are adequately tightened. Advice?

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
Samps,

You should use washers. They are, unfortunately, about $5 - 8 for a set.

These are what you need. You should be able to find them much cheaper than that. *That is not my auction, just showing you what you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/30421...c:g:4T8AAOSwIytgTDe4

I've also had luck with the cheap rubber o rings from Home Depot that are in the bathroom aisle.

Similar to this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DA...-Kit-34443/100135126

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the o-rings with the KSD grips. They seem to hold the grips well without squeezing the soft wood which can lead to loose or damaged grips.

However, those grips will never get tightened down like g10 without damaging the wood.

Posts: 25 | Registered: February 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had G10 grips on this P220, for years. I've had no need for washers or O-rings. The original Sig plastic panels are in the house, somewhere. I don't remember if the factory grips included washers? I'm wondering if Hogue and Nil wood replacements would also need washers?

Posts: 265 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
You asked for advice and I gave you advice. Do with the advice as you will.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Another source for washers at $3.95 per: http://www.topgunsupply.com/si...-p225-p232-p245.html
quote:
I don't remember if the factory grips included washers?

They should have. They were intended to work with the washers.
quote:
I'm wondering if Hogue and Nil wood replacements would also need washers?

No on the Hogues, although they do (or at least have in the past) recommended the blue Loctite. Some have balked at that in the past due to the relatively thin portion of the frame threaded for those screws.

I don't believe so on the Nils, and don't remember any recommendations for Loctite.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is just sanding down the screws to take some length off of them, a plausible option? I know that from time to time, I have had to make some adjustments to grips screws that were packaged with new panels.
Just one Mann's thoughts.
LaMont in AZ

Posts: 41 | Location: Apache Junction, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had some of the hogue checkered hardwood for my old W German p220 and needed the o-rings to avoid contact with the mag and protect the grip, YMMV. O-rings are cheap and at nearly every hardware store.

I’ve seen people file down the screws, just make sure you clean up the threads so they don’t damage the gun.

posted Hide Post
Sig sold shorter grip screws. I don't know if they still do.

I've made standoff rings before using stainless wire and the screw itself, which serve like lock washers. screw length can also be reduced.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Crappy wood grips piss me off. They cannot get the screw shoulder depth correct so you play modifying grip screw length. Go to far and you risk stripping the frame. When you finally get every screw length correct and all is well you decide to pull the grips off and clean/service the gun and they have to go back in the same hole they were fitted for or they are to long or even worse to short.

I learned long ago to stick with factory grips or Hogue grips that are spec out correctly and no grip screw BS.

Posts: 18016 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had that problem. Some #10 split lock washers took care of it. A pack of 30 are $1.28 at Home Depot. Add some blue threadlocker if you want extra security.

If the link below doesn't work for you, go to HD's website and search for SKU 529705.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Ev...Pack-20211/202704575

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've now ordered a set of washers and screws from Sig (ten bucks plus ten bucks postage, plus tax. About $22!). I hesitate to shorten my screws since I'm likely to swap the grips sometime, causing a future fit problem. The O-rings are cheap. Thanks for the size info, iron chef. I'll give them a try until the washers, arrive.
Next time, I'll shell out extra for Hogues.
Merry Christmas, remsig!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
KSD grips are absolute crap. They fool you with good look, but they are out spec shit. Personal experience.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
12131: I agree about the KSD grips. I just located my original P220 grip washers (after ordering a new set from Sig). The grip screw holes on the KSD panels are not relieved wide enough for the washers to drop into place. The diameter is too small. In other words, there is no way to squeeze the factory washers into place ahead of the screws! I'm not going to try the O-rings. I'm shipping these KSD panels back for refund.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:
12131: I agree about the KSD grips. I just located my original P220 grip washers (after ordering a new set from Sig). The grip screw holes on the KSD panels are not relieved wide enough for the washers to drop into place. The diameter is too small. In other words, there is no way to squeeze the factory washers into place ahead of the screws! I'm not going to try the O-rings. I'm shipping these KSD panels back for refund.

If you don’t want to try the o-rings, I’d stay away from the Hogue hardwood grips too. In my experience, they are only marginally better than the ksd grips and still needed o-rinhs over the factory washers. You may get lucky though.

Take a look at Nill if you want to try some more wood options.

posted Hide Post
I think I'll stick with the G10s. I don't carry the 220 much. The wood was for vanity. Functionality is what matters. I used rubber O-rings, once, on a 229. I was forever retightening the grip screws because they never seemed snug over the rubber rings. It was in my head, more than anything.
Thanks everyone for great support!

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Samps:

It's unbelievable that these a**holes still pull this kind of stunt. They have done this for years, holes not big enough for not just washers but for the screws themselves. Several years ago, I was fooled by the good look and bought 4 sets (2 each for the P228 and the P226X5) from them on fleabay. All of them were with the screw slots too small. Mad

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Amazing.
Buyer beware.