SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig MK25 or Legion 226
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig MK25 or Legion 226 Login/Join 
posted
Looking to buy either one. I like the MK25 due to its durability/finish but the Legion 226 is nice as well.

Which would you purchase and why?

Pics?

Question:
Which would you purchase?

Choices:
Sig MK 25 in 9mm
Sig Legion 226 in 9mm

Posts: 397 | Registered: June 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I voted for the Legion. The trigger guard undercut, trigger, and G10 grips push it over the top when compared to the MK25. Honestly though I'd be very happy with either.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I LOVE my Legion. As Ryan said, the undercuts really do make a difference over a standard 226.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The only major drawback of the Legion is the tiny slide lock lever. While to cool factor is high, the thing is as useless as tits on a boar.

In the event of a double feed under stress, you'll mess with it way too long in the event that you have to lock the slide to the rear. I've had to modify mine so they will take the standard slide lock lever.

If you plan on doing much competitive shooting, or taking classes, you had better get good at manipulating the thing before you show up. While not impossible, it becomes difficult if you are cold, wet, or tired. So much so, that I cringe when I see Legions show up to class. The student always struggles by the end of training day two to do simple functions like lock the slide to the rear.

I would go with the MK25 for that alone.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I would go with the MK25, just because of the long external extractor on the Legion P226. Both are great P226s, but one looks hideous in your eyes. Which one would you pick? Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CAR
posted Hide Post
I am lucky enough to own both. If I could only have one, I would choose the Legion due to the sights, trigger, checkering, grip and all the other little details.

Posts: 926 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very pleased with the Legion in SAO. Feels great in the hand and is nearly effortless to shoot well. The slide lock is small but I use mine for fun at the range.

Posts: 14 | Location: TN | Registered: February 07, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good, bad, I'm the
guy with the gun
Picture of 45ProCarry
posted Hide Post
MK25. It just seems more visual appealing to me.

Posts: 2343 | Location: USA | Registered: May 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Between these two, I prefer the MK25. I'm not a fan of the Legion Gray finish, and the MK25 is a couple of hundred cheaper.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I have both & prefer the MK25. Take your pick, but I don't see Sig producing the MK25 for much longer. Since they no longer have the NSW contract, I look for Sig to phase them out since they're the only current production 226s with 1913 frame rails & short extractor slides.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I have the MK25 and it is the only P226 model I have.
I shoot this pistol better than anything else I own.

The phosphate finish makes it dishwasher safe.
Smile

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MK25. I know the long extractor is probably here to stay, but it just doesn’t look right.

Posts: 1362 | Registered: October 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
I would take an older Mk25 in very good to excellent condition over a new Legion.

Just me tho.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1743 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I tried the small decocking lever on a standard 226 and hated it. I'm sure I would dislike a gun even more that had both that and a smaller slide catch lever.

I vote Mk 25. And, I was going to buy one but I ended up with a relatively cheap trade in 226 'E2' to which I added standard grips and a Grayguns PPAK 2 competition kit, plus some other stuff. I spent not a lot less than what a Legion costs but have a better gun for what I want to do (which is mostly to shoot matches) without the Legion stuff I didn't want (controls, the 'X-Ray' sights, etc).

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Mk25 for me. The Legions have a slightly better sight setup, though 3-dot isn't my preferred choice anyways. But I particularly dislike the smaller slide stop control surface on the Legions, and like Q I don't care for the hideous looking long extractor on any classic P-SIG. I have also heard and read quite a few tales about its PVD finish prematurely wearing away and/or failing; Nitron never had it this bad. No Legion coin and Legion exclusives will erase those things.

As for the Mk25: well, one can argue that the SRT would've been nice to have straight away from the factory. Or that G10 grips are way better than the factory plastics. But I shoot plenty of old school SIGs and to me those characteristics work more than good enough as-is. A grip revision is an easy upgrade, and installing a SRT kit if so desired isn't that tough. I've done neither to my Mk25 because that blessed sweetheart has never leaves me wanting something better. YMMV of course but the Mk25 just feels spot-on classic SIG to me. The Legion continues to seem like spot-on classic SIG marketing to me.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I have a M25 and like it... but had to replace the factory grips with G10's and also i put a short reset on it....

that's all I can add... I think my next Sig might be a 226 legion...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Looks like the MK25 is leading. I do like the Legion pistols also but see above about the Mauser rifle length extractor. BTW, there is a real NSW model on GB... Cool

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My MK25 is my BBQ gun..

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In reference to the SRT.

While it may be a nicety for some, it doesn't lead to faster shooting. The shooting community has become obsessed in years gone by about reset. Banging the drum for shorter reset, for a distinct reset, blah, blah, blah.

Fact is, ALL SIG DA/SA guns can be shot at the exact same speed, with or without the SRT. Half of my guns have SRT installed, half do not.

Obsession with short reset is a crutch for people with poor trigger control. The only federal agency who is still shooting DA/SA SIGs buy their guns without the SRT. Why? Because they have found the same thing that anyone that studies the gun seriously does. The length of the reset and the "positive click" nonsense doesn't matter when it comes to speed shooting. The shooters job is to prep/reset/prep. If you focus on that sole function, you can be prepped and ready before you can exploit what you see anyways, with or without an SRT. The SRT is a nicety. If you like it, fine. If you don't, fine. But, the idea that short reset has a damn thing to do with being faster is patently false.

I'll qualify that with saying I am talking about DA/SA guns only, the DAO and DAK guns are a tad harder to shoot because of reset.

With all that being said, MK25 for the win.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Agree. Very good summation. I don't shoot my one SRT any faster than my non-SRT's. Reset aside, my thoughts have always been that the gun still has to come down from recoil before the next shot. As long as the trigger is ready to fire at that moment, how you got there doesn't matter.

I shoot a number of different action types. It's all about trigger control. The trigger has to be manipulated the way it wants/needs to be manipulated...NOT the way the shooter WANTS to manipulate it. Many shooters don't understand the difference. Unfortunately, we live in an equipment centered age.

Regarding the tiny dysfunctional SSL on the Legions, Sigs choice boggles the mind. Makes you wonder who decides this stuff...marketing or design engineers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nipper,

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post