SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Did the P239 ever come with a steel or alloy frame?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did the P239 ever come with a steel or alloy frame? Login/Join 
Picture of Rick Lee
posted
I have a total beater of a P239 in .357SIG. I got it for a song and it's one of the best shooting pistols I have ever owned. Again, it's a beater, and a good candidate for refinishing. I know refinishing an anodized aluminum frame is dicey. I got to thinking today that this thing feels too heavy for the frame to be aluminum. But I can't get a magnet to stick to it. Worst case scenario - it's aluminum. But I really want the Wright Armory NT7 (NP3 successor) on the whole gun. What are the other options for this frame?

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
P239 - Never was made with steel frame. Only aluminum alloy.

If you don't want to strip the anodization from the frame, then get CCR to do their Cera-Hide on it. Any plating process (Nickel, NP3, NT7, CPII) will require stripping off the anodization. CCR will not do CPII on alloy frames for the reason stated.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
CCR is the way to go....

and 12131 is right ... as far as I know... they were all aluminum alloy... at least the frames were... stainless slides...

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I should add that there is already some bare aluminum showing on the backstrap. I don't know how that anodization could be worn off there, but I think refinishing would require a total strip. Or can it be done some other way?

Posts: 3541 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I should add that there is already some bare aluminum showing on the backstrap. I don't know how that anodization could be worn off there, but I think refinishing would require a total strip. Or can it be done some other way?

Why do you think it's necessary to totally strip the anodization? Again, CCR will Cera-Hide your frame without stripping off the anodization. And, if you really want to go cheap, go Cerakote. I personally don't care for Cerakote, but that is another option for you.

If you want NT7, then expect the anodization to be stripped off before the plating.

Q

Posts: 26417 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Just my $.02, and it ain't worth much, but the only anodization that probably matters is the top frame rails. Shiny better than dull gray iirc. Bringing back a p239 is honorable though.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
If you want NT7, then expect the anodization to be stripped off before the plating.
Is there a downside to that?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
At the moment the official line on NT7 is that they won't take in aluminum frames. I talked to some of the Wright Armory folks at the last Phoenix gun show and they said a solution was coming, but no ETA yet. Really miss my old one that Robar redid (completely) in NP3. The guy who bought it will sell it back to me, but wants a lot more than he paid me for it.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Is there a downside to that?

There have been quite a bit of this discussion previously. See the 2 links below.

November 21, 2018 - Klein Electroless Nickel (EN), Robar EN and NP3, and original factory anodization with respect to SIG aluminum alloy frames

September 18, 2023 - Who strips aluminum frames these days?

Q

Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
CCR's Cera-hide is a nice finish.
I had my P229 SAS done in it years ago....

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
CCR is the way to go. They have done several pistols for me now, and all came out fantastic and still look good years later.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
Accurate Plating and Weaponry did the P239 in my car in Industrial Hard Chrome

Decades ago I had my issued p220 finished by Robar in NP3. they had no problems with the alloy frame so I am not sure why the current company does

CCR has also done work for me. Cera Hide is a good option. I have used it several times

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Accurate Plating says right on their site that they'll refinish aluminum frames for a surcharge. I don't think CCR will. I bought a totally beat up P220 gunsmith special and sent it to CCR, and they did a great job on it. But the frame looks painted (albeit perfectly painted), while the rest of the gun looks refinished.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My carry P239 I bought from a fellow member here so many years ago I can't remember and he claimed the lower was refinished by CCR. I got flamed here a few years back for posting a picture of it with some of the coating coming off. I was not criticizing CCR at all... you know if you use a pistol and ride it hard and put it up wet then it is going to show over time, at least that's my opinion. If you want one to look perfect then lock it in the safe and only take it out to look at it once a year.
I carried a Ruger LCP for a couple of years but got tired of trying to keep it and the magazines from rusting.... who's to blame for that? I'll stick with this Sig, even with the blemishes:

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post