SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P210A Guide Rod Maintenance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P210A Guide Rod Maintenance Login/Join 
posted
The breakage of the captive guide rod used in P210A guns has been reported repeatedly since release. Replacement with another or “upgrade” to aftermarket is normal for repair.
The failure occurs during disassembly and removal of guide rod from slide. Normal details are plastic end of guide rod shoots off and releases the captive spring.
On post purchase tear down of my first P210A I found gun was dry. It was fresh from Sig, two months old. I had noticed it was not the ball bearing like smoothness mentioned by many owners.
I am a little OCD and wanted to lubricate everything. Wiping down with gun oil fouled several gun patches. Kept wiping until patches came back with no Nitron coating. Posted on another forum and was told it was normal. Talked to Sig and they said same thing.
Wanted to lube guide rod and compressed recoil spring. It felt notchy as the bushing, a soft plastic plug, slide down rod. Felt same way as it was released and returned to normal. Compressed again and wiped down the guide rod with oil patch. It was black with loose coating.
Repeated until patch came back clean. Noticed the spring compressed and released smoother. No more notching feel.
On reassembly the gun now had the smoothness expected for a P210.
SO, cleaning the guide rod will make a new P210A cycle smoother.
But real meat here is breakage. The captive guide rod is in compression when installed in slide. There is no possibility of bushing hitting the dog knot on guide rod while installed.
It is on disassembly that the bushing hits the tip and shoots it off, breaking the guide rod.
I found that some of the coating was built up on the guide rode a little back from the tip. The bushing May hang up on the build up during removal from slide. Once it travels to full length it hit the tip hard and shoots it off.
So rather than keep replacing guide rod with either factory or aftermarkets, clean and lubricate the guide rod. I think after 100 rounds do again.
The guide rod will last forever. While installed the bushing cannot strike the tip to break. The in battery position is where the coating builds up on rod.
I felt the difference after cleaning and oiling while hand cycling the slide.much smoother.
Think I am around 2000 rounds on P210A Target and 500 on P210A Standard. No breakages yet.

Posts: 12 | Location: Houston | Registered: October 15, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks for the information - will use extra cre when taking apart for cleaning. Still looking for a detailed view of a P210CA (Carry). Lots of dry firing improved the trigger.

Mac in Michigan

Posts: 504 | Location: Below the Bridge in Michigan | Registered: July 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post