SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P320 loaded magazine durability
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P320 loaded magazine durability Login/Join 
Picture of SDlocal
posted
Any input on how OEM mags are holding up under pressure from being loaded for extended periods? Specifically the feed lips. Not worried about springs.

San Diego Local
Grayguns Full House Custom Commander
STI Trojan .45
Nighthawk Talon

By all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!

Posts: 128 | Location: San Diego | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Folks have stored loaded mags for long periods for a very long time. Reports of feed lip issue are very very few and far between. Is there something about the P320 mags that is different from other quality mags?

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SDlocal
posted Hide Post
No not necessarily 1911 mags tend to spread after awhile. Mags are obviously a consumable part but can sometimes be a weak point. Just curious how these are holding up.

San Diego Local
STI Trojan .45
Nighthawk Talon

Posts: 128 | Location: San Diego | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've had mine since 2017. When not being used, most of them have been stored loaded that entire time. A number of years back I picked up a couple of designated range mags that don't get stored loaded, but those two have thousands of cycles through them. The others do get used occasionally as well. I've had zero problems. Haven't even needed to replace springs yet.

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Somewhat related; years ago a relative had an issue with magazines for a Beretta 92 in 40 S&W(96?). Basically, when filling the magazine to listed capacity, it would spread a little to the point of effecting fit & possibly function.

To a younger shooter(maybe everyone), if it’s listed for 8 rounds, by God they have to fit 8 rounds in it. I showed him how it worked fine if just backed off one round.

I have nothing against filling to capacity, when all is working. If presented with a reason that things work better backed off one round, I have no problem with doing so.

Yes, certain organized training events, there may be requirements. I’m mostly referring to casual shooting or maybe the CC individual.

Posts: 6170 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SDlocal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I've had mine since 2017. When not being used, most of them have been stored loaded that entire time. A number of years back I picked up a couple of designated range mags that don't get stored loaded, but those two have thousands of cycles through them. The others do get used occasionally as well. I've had zero problems. Haven't even needed to replace springs yet.

This is great thanks!

San Diego Local
STI Trojan .45
Nighthawk Talon

posted Hide Post
quote:
No not necessarily 1911 mags tend to spread after awhile.

Huh. I have certainly heard of polymer mags with polymer feed lips having some issues. I have never heard or seen a metal mag with metal feedlips having an issue solely from storage. Ive worn out mags, I've bent mags, I've had springs that need replacement, I've had feedlips fail from use but over lots and lots of experience I have never seen one deteriorate from just sitting there loaded. Literally never for a quality modern mag. And I have personally been gifted 1940's era 1911 mags that have been loaded at least since the 1950's and they work just fine.
Where do you see any reliable evidence we have long term storage problems on metal mags?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11003 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
No not necessarily 1911 mags tend to spread after awhile.

... I have never heard or seen a metal mag with metal feedlips having an issue solely from storage.
Where do you see any reliable evidence we have long term storage problems on metal mags?

The following two are what I remember.

P220 ACT mag. A member on has posted his pics several times.

I have also seen pic of the German SIG zipper back mag with spread feed lips.

That's why I didn't say "never".

Q

Posts: 26413 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post