SIGforum
Bought a Python....again

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/2350035164

September 30, 2019, 09:35 AM
DLC762
Bought a Python....again
So the first pistol I ever had was a Ruger MKI that my Dad bought me when I was 15.
First gun I ever bought as soon as I turned 21 was a beautiful NIB 4" Blue Colt Python for $250.
Over 40+ years, I've owned a bunch of them, 2.5", 3", 4", 6", 8", Blue, Stainless, Nickel.....you get the idea.
So Pythons came and went until I sold my last one, a 6" Stainless, and since I do have some revolvers, mostly S&W snubbers, I rarely shoot them.
So I swore off Pythons.
Right.....
Went into the LGS last week and found this one, shooter grade, Blue, 6". Mechanically excellent, finish not too bad. Two small spots of pitting on the crane, got to look for it, and lots of minor surface scratches/marks, not enough to warrant a refinish.
So once again, I have a Python.
Cool

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
September 30, 2019, 11:02 AM
colt_saa
Congratulations on the new addition to the Family

I have also always enjoyed Pythons

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com
September 30, 2019, 11:26 AM
SSAreGreat
Good find. Great gun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Democracy is 2 Wolves & a Lamb debating the lunch menu.

Liberty is a well armed Lamb!
September 30, 2019, 12:25 PM
trover
Great find! Congratulations. I got lucky and found one a few years ago, but would love another.
September 30, 2019, 12:40 PM
P220 Smudge
Congrats, enjoy, sir. Smile

September 30, 2019, 01:54 PM
ridewv
Nice find there DLC. I have a 6" blued one with rubber grips too, did they come from the factory with rubber grips or would they be aftermarket adds?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
September 30, 2019, 02:11 PM
patw
Nice. I wish Colt would remake these things.
September 30, 2019, 06:13 PM
remsig
Nice pick up DLC762. I've wanted a Python for the last 25+ years and I enjoy see pics of them.
September 30, 2019, 06:32 PM
LtJL
The original Snake!!! I had a couple over the years, but not now. Nice catch.
September 30, 2019, 06:32 PM
low8option
Bought mine, a 4 inch blued model over forty years ago too for $239. I still have it.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment
September 30, 2019, 06:43 PM
SigFan
Very cool! Great find!

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)
October 01, 2019, 05:34 AM
DLC762
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
Nice find there DLC. I have a 6" blued one with rubber grips too, did they come from the factory with rubber grips or would they be aftermarket adds?

This one is from the late '70's and should have had the checkered wood grips, this one had "Colt" grips on it but they were new and not original to this
gun.
I believe later date Pythons came with the black rubber w/ medallions.
Luckily, I had only sold my last one a little over two years ago and hadn't gotten around to cleaning out the Python accessories box.
The grips were in there, along with the speed loaders. I found the wooden grips in the pick in there too, but can't find the right grip screw to use them.

October 01, 2019, 06:15 AM
RobC2
Congrats! I bought a nice blued 4" Python a few years back and it is one of my favorites.
October 01, 2019, 08:55 AM
19tass
Nice! Congrats!
October 01, 2019, 10:22 AM
bcjwriter
Those are beautiful revolvers. I shot one once and yeah...they really are that good. They have gone up so much in value they’re pretty much out of reach for me. Congrats on a great find!

October 01, 2019, 10:47 AM
joatmonv
I need to find a shooter grade one. The one I have is a collector and is still unfired.
I have thought about shooting it but because of sentimental reasons, it sits in the safe.
Very nice pistol.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.
October 01, 2019, 10:51 AM
Jim Watson
Looks good, but...
I don't understand the "come and go" part. I hear frequently of people who buy, sell, and replace the same model.
If I have a use for a gun or just think it neat to own, I keep it. If I don't, I will sell or trade it in favor of something I like better.
If I were to sell my Pythons, there would be no more.
October 01, 2019, 01:01 PM
airbubba
congratulations
October 02, 2019, 07:37 AM
DLC762
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Looks good, but...
I don't understand the "come and go" part. I hear frequently of people who buy, sell, and replace the same model.
If I have a use for a gun or just think it neat to own, I keep it. If I don't, I will sell or trade it in favor of something I like better.
If I were to sell my Pythons, there would be no more.

Yeah, I know....but I'm fickle.
Wink

October 02, 2019, 08:10 AM
dog44
Nice!