SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 92X Compact Trigger Bar Problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 92X Compact Trigger Bar Problem Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I bought a brand new 92X compact a few months back. It's probably got somewhere in the area of 500 rounds through it, and probably 4x that dry-fire with a laser cartridge (functionally a snap cap).

The gun ran perfectly until about 2 months ago when I got busy with some other projects and it retired to the safe. I took it out yesterday planning to give it some range time, dry-fired it a couple of times, and noticed that the DA pull wasn't working. Initially the hammer would start to travel rearward, then fall. After just a handful of test iterations, the hammer stopped actuating altogether. SA worked fine.

I took the grips off, and observed that the trigger bar was not rising up to engage the hammer. The spring was in place, but was not strong enough to push the trigger bar up into position. I was able to push it up into place manually, but it required a decent amount of force, and audibly clicked as it popped into place.

I took the trigger bar out and discovered that it had some pretty clear wear on the spot where it engages the hammer hooks, and a bit of a burr. I stoned it (it actually required quite a bit) until it would just slip past the hammer hook, and it seems to be working ok now, but I'm concerned about what might be causing this on a relatively new gun.

I have two thoughts...either the trigger bar is improperly heat treated from the factory and it's wearing prematurely, or the spring somehow lost its tension while it was sitting for two months (although with the amount of force required to push that thing into place, I doubt even a new spring could have done it).

I ordered a couple of new trigger bar springs just to have them on hand, and they are on the way but I was wondering if anybody else has seen this behavior with the Beretta 92, specifically the 92X? My old-school 92FS with thousands of rounds thorough it has never had this problem, but I think the fit of the 92X trigger bar is far tighter than the older guns, just based on the lack of pretravel alone.

Posts: 8544 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Does Langdon make a trigger bar for that gun?

It might solve your problem and be a general improvement.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to say make sure the grip panel isn't screwed on too tight or rubbing the bar. Also those springs are tiny and vital so having spares is a good thing. With the right grip panel removed will the DA work? That is a good starting spot. I know that the new Langdon bars have extra material to, I believe, limit overtravel. Occasionally you have to relieve them to even make them work.

I have extra stock trigger bars from swapping them out with TJIAB stuff and general 92 parts hoarding. If you can't figure it out and want to try a stock trigger bar before going the expensive route send me your address and I will get one in the mail and see if that fixes your issue.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does Langdon make a trigger bar for that gun?

They do indeed, and that may be the route that I go if the factory one proves defective.

quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I was going to say make sure the grip panel isn't screwed on too tight or rubbing the bar. Also those springs are tiny and vital so having spares is a good thing. With the right grip panel removed will the DA work? That is a good starting spot. I know that the new Langdon bars have extra material to, I believe, limit overtravel. Occasionally you have to relieve them to even make them work.

I have extra stock trigger bars from swapping them out with TJIAB stuff and general 92 parts hoarding. If you can't figure it out and want to try a stock trigger bar before going the expensive route send me your address and I will get one in the mail and see if that fixes your issue.

Yep, tried that. Was my first thought, too, that it could be somehow related to the grip panel, but it turns out that didn't affect it. Grips on or off, it still wouldn't go into position.

I really appreciate the offer, but I believe I have a spare lying around somewhere as well from when I put the LTT Optimized bar in my old 92. If the factory part from the 92X proves to be improperly hardened, I'll probably just spring for the Langdon parts...I'll run it with my polish job for a bit and see how it holds up. Mainly, I'm curious if anybody else here has seen this issue with their 92X.

Posts: 8544 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not had that issue. In fact I would say the triggers on the 2 92X's that I own are far and away better than any stock out of the box trigger of my prior iteration 92's. They were good enough that I was tempted to not do the TJIAB. They weren't that good though. lol

If you get the new optimized bar I would appreciate a rundown of whether they are worth it. I don't want to drop the extra coin since the TJIAB came with the previously top end trigger bar. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze for me.

Posts: 7460 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have not had that issue. In fact I would say the triggers on the 2 92X's that I own are far and away better than any stock out of the box trigger of my prior iteration 92's. They were good enough that I was tempted to not do the TJIAB. They weren't that good though. lol

If you get the new optimized bar I would appreciate a rundown of whether they are worth it. I don't want to drop the extra coin since the TJIAB came with the previously top end trigger bar. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze for me.

Out of the box, I had the same experience. The stock 92X trigger feels phenomenal compared to my old 92FS. There was far less mush, no stacking, extremely short reset, and the pull weight leads me to believe that they are putting the "D" spring in at the factory now. Even now after it stopped working and I stoned the burr out, it's still excellent. Smooth, clean take-up and short reset. But if the trigger bar is going to continue to erode, I'm going to have to do something about it. Time will tell.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The beauty of the Langdon trigger bar with both the 92 & PX4 is with the reset. Definitely worth the investment.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
The beauty of the Langdon trigger bar with both the 92 & PX4 is with the reset. Definitely worth the investment.

It is indeed a huge improvement over a regular 92FS/M9 trigger. If you've ever shot a 92X, though, the factory trigger has those same characteristics of the LTT...not sure if Beretta stole/bought the concepts from Langdon or what, but the "X" models have a huge improvement in reset right out of the box over your old-school Berettas.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Put a couple of hundred rounds through it today with no problems, and that's with the original trigger bar spring. The new ones haven't come yet. The immediate issue is apparently resolved....we'll see how it holds up over time.

Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
There’s a guy on the Beretta subreddit that I believe is having this exact problem with a full size 92X made in Tennessee. I’m located in Greenwood south of Indianapolis and have an extra LTT Optimized trigger bar if you’re in the area. May try that.

92FSTech I sent you an email with a link to the Beretta subreddit thread.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Got your email and responded. I appreciate it!