SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Smoothing the P DA
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smoothing the P DA Login/Join 
posted
Recently got a German Frame P226, short extractor, 9mm and perfect SA trigger. The DA is gritty and choppy. It will work but I’m not a fan. Found a couple obscure videos and one other site that even approaches the smoothing of the double action. From what I can tell polishing the trigger bar and Main Spring strut and possibly the double action interface with a hammer might be good enough to smooth things out. Any thoughts?

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Strut polish and 19 pound spring will do wonders. And it is usually about all I do to mine.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37118 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did a good strut polish with little improvement. This is also my experience with CZs. Strut polish doesn’t do much. I might next do the top of the strut. Then shoot before going further.

Examining the pics of the DAK, it looks like the LEAD prong of the strut is the only one that engages the hammer in DA. So I light ONLY polish this one because SA is perfect.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigg,

Posts: 16 | Registered: December 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
You can isolate where it's felling gritty.

Cock the hammer and pull the trigger, keep trigger all the way back.
With the trigger all the way back you can move the hammer through it's range of motion.

Then holding the hammer all the way forward and you can cycle the trigger through it's range.
That can give you an idea where to start.

So far all I have done is break and smooth the edges on the strut and the trigger bar where it makes contact with the frame in a couple spots.

I run a 19# mainspring in everything and mine feel pretty good to me.
The Select could use some more help somewhere but it's not to bad.
For myself the Wile Coyote School of Gunsmithing courses don't go any further than that so if I want it to be better it would need to go to Burke.

Posts: 1482 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Strut polish and 19 pound spring will do wonders. And it is usually about all I do to mine.

I just did his to mine and I really like it. Much better trigger pull. I will eventually do all my Sigs.

Posts: 5745 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigg:
Did a good strut polish with little improvement. This is also my experience with CZs. Strut polish doesn’t do much. I might next do the top of the strut. Then shoot before going further.

Examining the pics of the DAK, it looks like the LEAD prong of the strut is the only one that engages the hammer in DA. So I light ONLY polish this one because SA is perfect.

Wait, DAK and SA don’t make much sense. Which is it?

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1861 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:

I just did his to mine and I really like it. Much better trigger pull. I will eventually do all my Sigs.

Which Yoshimora worked at the academy range back in '95? That (BAMF) is the one that polished up my 226. I think it was $25 for him to do it, and it was done in about an hour.
Very good job, and a noticeable difference.
It's money well spent.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
quote:

Which Yoshimora worked at the academy range back in '95? That (BAMF) is the one that polished up my 226. I think it was $25 for him to do it, and it was done in about an hour.
It's money well spent.

Yosh is a BAMF. Where did they send you?

Posts: 5745 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Though I’m not overly sure of the intended definition of “gritty”, I had noticed some form of that issue within the DA creep of my old WG 226 after I had swapped out the original mainspring assembly for the newer E2-style parts (including the factory spec “MS-1” spring). I didn’t think much of it until I recently bought a new 220 and immediately realized how much smoother the new 220’s pull was, by comparison.
I then lightly smoothed the strut under the spring (manually holding a dremel tip). But I also turned the MS so that the spring tip (on the hammer side of the spring) somewhat locked / pressed against the very small tab of the strut. Perhaps that was unnecessary and irrelevant but i could feel the “grit” as I turned that spring and wondered if spring orientation was partially the culprit.
Regardless, one or both of those steps fully addressed the issue and the creep is very smooth given that I haven’t pursued a trigger job or lighter spring tension. And I’ve since sent the 226 in for the Sig service plan and the even-newer factory spring feels just as good.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:
quote:

It's money well spent.

Yosh is a BAMF. Where did they send you?

Yes, Yosh is. The two of them are on the list of "Last people I want to piss off"!

I landed firmly on my feet in 008 on 3rd Watch.
DC and the XO Ive known before we all got on the job.
All 3 of my Lt's are phenomenal, and I have a great group of Sgt's that I can bounce questions off of. And a great group of officers that still like doing the job, and are pretty good at doing it.
Im happy going to work again! Zero complaints at all!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. Protect the home front.

posted Hide Post
Damn right!
A lot of our friends and co-workers are on the south and west end.

It's hard to drive through the 10sector without running into someone I worked with.

A quick 15 minute drive up Kedzie, hang a left and I'm at work.

Like I said, it's "fun" again! I enjoy it! I've got a great group of Coppers that like doing the job, and are doing the right thing and the right way. A little guidance on case & arrest reports.
I'm (pretty sure I'm) doing the right thing, and getting shown the how's and why's by some great bosses. Then again, I've had some phenomenal examples through the past 23 years.

The only complaint I have is youngins are calling me "Sir" all the time. Damn academy brain-washing them... It's a Marine Corps thing, I guess. I'm a fuckin' Sergeant, I still work for a living.