SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Another HiPower clone hits the market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another HiPower clone hits the market Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Of all the recent remakes, I’m interested in seeing the Longthorne Defiance make it to market.

https://youtu.be/1d4AGk_AL5c

Though, I’ll stick with my Browning.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Longthorne Defiance won't be cheap... I'm betting between $2500 and $4000.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16133 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
The Philippines are a Muslim dominated nation, too.

Nope. Only ~5% of Philippinos are Muslim.

You're thinking of Indonesia, which is just to the south of the Philippines, and which is ~87% Muslim.

Posts: 32380 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My reservation to anything Turkish made is parts availability / interchangeability / long term support. Most of the shotgun companies I've dealt with fail on that front--and I mean fail hard. It seams none of them produce a design for more than a few years (even though many are off patent Beretta / Benelli / Remington copies to various degrees), then they tweak it to some small but totally significant degree, such that parts you'd think outwardly should be compatible--aren't.

They rotate designs so often that parts houses can't build an inventory from old guns, and after a few years even the companies they have that support their products in the US run out of parts--and then you're completely boned. It's amusing to me that I can go to my local auto parts store and find parts that fit an original ~70 year old small block Chevy, but can't scare a part for a 4 year old shotgun anywhere in the country.

If they were known to be straight Browning ripoffs, and I mean built off of the same prints or reverse engineered REALLY well, my reservations would be assuaged to a large degree. They might be great pistols in their own right, but if in ten years you can't find a part you need (like Llama pistols) you've got a really cool looking paperweight.

Posts: 459 | Registered: February 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Longthorne Defiance won't be cheap... I'm betting between $2500 and $4000.

Put an English pound symbol in front of that 4000 and you may still be a bit low. My guess is that Longthorne High Power will run between 10 and 12 thousand US Dollars. Longthorne is primarily a bespoke shotgun maker in the old English very high dollar tradition and if you want to spend 20 thousand pounds on "starter" gun they are the bees knees for that.

Note, Holland and Holland have now been acquired by Beretta. While production has been kept in London I really have to wonder if H&H will go forward as makers of 100% hand made guns or if some modern machining methods will be implemented.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5588 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While surfing Youtube last night before I went to bed, I saw that Honest Outlaw had a preliminary review on the Girsan HP. He said he'll do a follow-up once he has his normal 1,000 round test completed. He appeared to be favorably impressed.

I'm not sure how much experience he has with the HP, as he remarked that the mags didn't drop free but they would probably start once the gun was broken in. (The Girsan has the mag safety/disconnect.)

Posts: 778 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Tirod:
The Philippines are a Muslim dominated nation, too.

Nope. Only ~5% of Philippinos are Muslim.

You're thinking of Indonesia, which is just to the south of the Philippines, and which is ~87% Muslim.

Phillippinos are Catholic, like really Catholic. Culturally I see a lot of similarities to Latin America, probably due to the Spanish influence. In general they are the most "westernized" country in east and southeast Asia.

Posts: 4687 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Well, the fudds probably won't like it, but Girsan made an updated Hi Power that I've been looking for, but never wanted to pay for the custom work.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com...5-year-hi-power/amp/

No MSRP yet, but it's 100% compatible with Hi Power parts, and will even have an optics ready version. Only thing I'm sad about is no checkering or texturing on the front strap or backstrap.

Either way, they've taken care of the buyer who wants the classic and someone that wants some upgrades. Can't wait to see one in the wild.

Posts: 4106 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I like the looks of that updated Hi-Power and can't wait for Girsan to do an over-gold version. Wink

Posts: 3169 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post