SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    HK P7 vs P7M8
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HK P7 vs P7M8 Login/Join 
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
I have owned a P7M8 or two. I liked them, but people came along and waved enough cash around to prove they like them more.

The P7M8 is the way to go in my books if you are going to shoot more than 3 mags in a row. The regular P7 gets frying pan hot and has no heat shield. I have always liked the paddle mag release, in both HK and Walther pistols anyway.

If HK did another run and they sold new for $1,000 I might be tempted. I owned one of the specially marked last 500 produced, so I doubt this will happen.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
So are all standard P7's also PSP's? Because this one I'm looking at doesn't have PSP on the right side of the slide. It only says HK INC ARLINGTON VA. Some I see say Sterling VA. Also the date code is IB not sure when that it was made.

Posts: 4646 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would always go with the M8 variant because it has all the upgrades (especially the later versions). But between the 3 pistols approved and sanctioned for the new "German Police Pistol" at the time, I'd take the P225 all day. I have all three, and they're some of my favorite pistols. The Walther P5 is probably my most cherished, but if I had to carry one, it would be the P6.

Posts: 872 | Registered: October 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LincolnSixEcho:
So are all standard P7's also PSP's? Because this one I'm looking at doesn't have PSP on the right side of the slide. It only says HK INC ARLINGTON VA. Some I see say Sterling VA. Also the date code is IB not sure when that it was made.

The one that PARA posted is one of the last runs of P7s. A P7 is often referred to as a PSP because the original P7s were marked/called PSPs. The one he has is a limited run and highly sought after by collectors. The one you are looking at is also pretty collectible because it is a commercial import versus a police trade-in. The Arlington IB date stamps have the protruding magazine release. The flush mag release didn't happen for the commercial imports until sometime during the ID date stamps.

Bowl cuts are the greatest haircuts in the world

Posts: 230 | Location: Virginia Beach | Registered: March 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Well it turns out that the P7 for sale was a scam. It was an Armslist listing and I should have known when I saw the condition and the price. Too good to be true I suppose. Got an email that said it was flagged as a scam actually. Guess I need to keep looking, ugh. Thanks to all who helped with he info at least. Truth be told I'm not sure if I want the P7 or the P7M8 now. Either would do I suppose.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth the P7 in any variety is a love it or hate it gun typically. I happen to love them. Yeah they get hot but so does a J-Frame after 50 rounds. I love the weird Teutonic staple gun engineering. It allows for a very safe pistol with a very good trigger that is instinctively cocked and uncocked with very little effort. Combine that with the fixed barrel and it will make you look good after 12 cups of coffee and a panic attack.

Yeah they are weird and they have their drawbacks but honestly they are a really well thought out over engineered defensive arm.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7880 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger: I love the weird Teutonic staple gun engineering. It allows for a very safe pistol with a very good trigger that is instinctively cocked and uncocked with very little effort. Combine that with the fixed barrel and it will make you look good after 12 cups of coffee and a panic attack.

Yeah they are weird and they have their drawbacks but honestly they are a really well thought out over engineered defensive arm.

+1! I'd like to add that their design also makes them one of the easiest pistols to do a one handed slide release with too, when a reload is taking place. All one needs to do is to squeeze the cocking lever and a fresh round is decisively stripped from the magazine and chambered!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10263 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought my son a HK P7, IB date code, years ago. I carried it a lot, until he turned twenty-one.

I own a nicer version, marked HK P7 PSP, KH date code, that came in the box with the tools and papers.

Posts: 1989 | Location: metro Atlanta, GA | Registered: July 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
^^^^^thats what isn't like to find like yours and Para's KH.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
LSE, I think the P7 is better looking than the M8 version too. Less cluttered, cleaner looking pistol.

NRA Life

Posts: 1578 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I owned both. The PSP was better for carry since the mag release didn't stick out the side.
The PSP got hot real quick limiting practice to about 4 magazines worth. The M8 was better, but not that much.
I sold mine and went with a Walther PPS when they came out. I have no regrets.

You knew the job was dangerous when you took it, Fred! - Henry Cabot Henhouse III, aka "SuperChicken"

Posts: 132 | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pittwm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
P7M8 Chantilly seam to be the most desirable and $$$$ I liked mine but it really got hot after a few magazines.

I had one and I stupidly got rid of it....

Posts: 5445 | Location: Paducah KY | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of a Series
of Accidents
posted Hide Post
I purchased and kept both models. Hardly ever shoot them but they're hard to find so I doubt I'll ever part with them.

Made back when H&K pistols had innovative designs.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater

Posts: 1971 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: February 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I have a P7M8 Chantilly. It's one of my favorite pieces. Funny thing is I have no interest in any other HK pistols but the P7.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the PSP with the KH date code in Para's post were the last run of these made for the German Police and what was left over were offered for sale no the civilian market. Note the heel release on his. It's the more desirable style in that it does not protrude below the grip panels. Magazines are not as likely to be inadvertently dropped with this set up compared to the earlier style.
On a different note, some P7M8s around 1984 had what was referred to as a "fat trigger". They didn't make them very long and IIRC there was a recall and pistols were re-fitted with the standard trigger. Can anyone confirm that? I actually thought the fat trigger looked kinda neat.

Posts: 2025 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
I'm pretty sure the PSP with the KH date code in Para's post were the last run of these made for the German Police and what was left over were offered for sale no the civilian market. Note the heel release on his. It's the more desirable style in that it does not protrude below the grip panels. Magazines are not as likely to be inadvertently dropped with this set up compared to the earlier style.
On a different note, some P7M8s around 1984 had what was referred to as a "fat trigger". They didn't make them very long and IIRC there was a recall and pistols were re-fitted with the standard trigger. Can anyone confirm that? I actually thought the fat trigger looked kinda neat.

I have heard this as well and my Chantilly P7M8 has the "fat" trigger.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of throwingdown
posted Hide Post
I had two grade A police trade ins, stupidly I sold them for slightly more than I paid for them. Now they are double what I paid.

The M8 offers a few improvements over the PSP, but for the price if you want to carry one I'd opt for the PSP.

The M8, M10 and M13's in near mint condition are money in the bank. They are no longer made and will only continue to increase in value, especially the M13.

No Salient glock or Wilson Combat will hold its value as well as they are still in production and not of finite availability.

Posts: 423 | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of my three P7s I only shoot an M8 regularly. Despite the heat shield it gets very uncomfortable after four mags. I just don't think it makes much of a difference other than keeping your trigger finger from directly touching hot metal. It's still a fantastic pistol. Of the two I'd take the M8.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I owned a P7 like the one Para posted, one thing I noticed, that the slide was seriouly denting the back of the magazine when using the safety to drop the mag.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I really miss my P7M8. I sold it when the prices exploded. No I wish I had it back.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post