SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New To Me P220, .45acp
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New To Me P220, .45acp Login/Join 
posted
In early 1990 I bought one of my first Sigs, an all black P220. It was a favorite for many years until about 3 years ago. I foolishly decided to downsize calibers and the P220 was the only thing I had in .45acp. Therefore, I sold it a friend and it quickly became his favorite as well. That Sig included a nice Boyt carry case, 11 Sig mags, Hogue finger grips, a Lasermax guide rod laser and about 1700 rounds of ammo.

Last month I found an all black CPO P220 ST at Bud's Guns in TN that looked great. They were asking $760 and I paid $720. It came with two (2) 8 round stainless Sig mags and the new to me E2 grips. It seems like it already has a SRT installed as well. Even the red box from Sig has a label that says: UD220-45-B1 Excellent Condition. Another label on the box says: 22Jun2019 Made In United States. I'm uncertain if that's the original manufacture date or the date Sig certified it as a CPO.

I quickly found a nos Lasermax red guide rod laser as well as an another Boyt carry case, another new 8 round Sig mag and eight (8) new 10 round Sig mags. I'm slowly building my 45acp ammo stock back up. Why 11 mags? One in the P220, two in a belt mag holder and eight 10 rounders in the boyt bag for range duty.

I quickly fell in love all over again the first time I took this new to me P220 to the range. IMHO, there's just nothing like a classic Sig P series. And to me that means SA/DA. I also have a P229 and a P239, both in 357Sig. Perhaps a P226 is in my future to complete the 'set'.

The only issue I've had is the seemingly familiar failure to feed with the Sig 8 round stainless mags when using Sig brand 230 grain JHP rounds. Speer Gold Dots, Winchester Ranger, Federal FMJ, Lawman FMJ, Ammo Inc FMJ and PMC Bronze FMJ all feed perfectly fine. It's the Sig JHP that simply fails to feed 100% of the time when using the 8 round Sig mags. The 10 round Sig mags work fine. Fortunately, my preferred SD round is Speer Gold Dot.

As many others have found before me, the second 'flat' spot on the Sig 8 round stainless mag feed lip seems to be the culprit. The Sig 10 round stainless mags only have one 'flat' spot. The Sig rounds simply fail to feed high enough in the mag to get past those two flat spots. The leading edge of the Sig JHP is simply too wide. I have to use a small screwdriver to force the round up past the two flat spots. It's not the length of the Sig ammo because it fits in the mag 'tube' just fine. It just can't get past the two flat spots at the top.

Yes, I'm sure I could use a strong pair of pliers and bend one of the flat spots out enough to allow the Sig JHP rounds to function. But, it may not be worth it, I've never bought these Sig rounds before and once these 40 rounds are gone, I'll likely not purchase them again.

What I never needed with my previous P220 was a mag loader. I bought the UpLULA Universal pistol mag loader, 9mm to .45acp. It sure makes loading the mags a lot easier. Well worth the $34.00.

Sig Sauer, never leave home without one.

Sig P220, 1.jpeg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TN Mark,

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 233 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Even the red box from Sig has a label that says: UD220-45-B1 Excellent Condition. Another label on the box says: 22Jun2019 Made In United States. I'm uncertain if that's the original manufacture date or the date Sig certified it as a CPO

That's the date the CPO, not the original gun, was born.

Q

Posts: 26472 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Even the red box from Sig has a label that says: UD220-45-B1 Excellent Condition. Another label on the box says: 22Jun2019 Made In United States. I'm uncertain if that's the original manufacture date or the date Sig certified it as a CPO

That's the date the CPO, not the original gun, was born.

Thank you for that. This particular P220 wasn't used a whole lot between the CPO certification and me buying it. The barrel looks new and it has a different sn plus the rails have very little indication of wear.

I just called Sig Customer Service and Jeff was very helpful. My serial number shows this particular P220 ST was made in 2004. He was unable to give a month but that's fine by me. He did confirm the 22Jun2018 date was for the CPO but he was unable to confirm if they installed the SRT. I know they did as it performs just like my P229 and P239 with the SRT system.

Jeff didn't have an answer to the Sig 8 round feed lips with 2 flat spots that prevent Sig JHP ammo from feeding. To me, that's also not a big deal as I never purchased Sig JHP ammo before and likely won't again. Thankfully it cycles fine in the Sig 10 round magazines and I prefer Gold Dot for SD anyway.

Are Gold Dot's 'better'? Probably not, they're just my 'go to' for SD rounds in all my carry guns, semi and revolver. I like consistency and familiarity for these kinds of issues.

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
This post is worthless without pictures! Razz

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Cool!

I like the P220 as well.

Now you'll need one in 10mm, 9mm, etc... Wink

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to the fold.

Ummmmmmmm yeah, we are going to need to see some pics.

Does anyone remember the P-220 Posse hat? If so, please post one for this P-220 owner.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are the best ways to post or attach pictures?

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org