SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Snake Gun gunsmiths
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snake Gun gunsmiths Login/Join 
Picture of wrightd
posted
Do any of you guys know of any bonafide Python gunsmiths ? The one I used about a decade ago didn't know what he was doing and did absolutely nothing for the gun. I'm thinking Cylinder and Slide or Colt Manufacturing. The gun has a mild case of hammer push off, but is otherwise tight, clean, and shiny. I won't sell it like that, so I want to get it fixed and checked for tune and tolerances before selling it to get top dollar.

Any ideas or advice much appreciated.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Heffron Precision.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Frank Glen
I've never dealt with him, but he has an excellent reputation.

http://www.glenncustom.com/pricing_colt.html

http://www.glenncustom.com/index.html

Posts: 1551 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Greymann:
Frank Glen
I've never dealt with him, but he has an excellent reputation.

http://www.glenncustom.com/pricing_colt.html

http://www.glenncustom.com/index.html

I do have experience with him and can confirm it was all wonderful.

I had him work over a Colt OMM in .22lr and a Colt Model 357 [predecessor to the Python- basically, different barrel and higher polish on Python].

I explained my goals: complete reliability with any factory loads in either caliber, but as light as possible within that range, and reduce/eliminate stacking in DA pull.

I am VERY satisfied!

I was content with the cost [he IS transparent there], and was really happy with my turnaround time. I had them back within 6 weeks. I actually think he shipped them back within 2 weeks of receiving them.

Now, I didn't have timing or any other mechanical issues, so that would probably take longer.

Also, I have no idea what his backlog is today.

However, I would send any Colt revolvers to him in a heartbeat!

I know nothing of Heffron Precision, and this is not meant for comparisons. It is simply MY experiences.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
On the Colt Python forum Heffron Precision is highly regarded.

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
That's a good confirmation there. Thanks Nick.

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick B:
On the Colt Python forum Heffron Precision is highly regarded.

Are you talking about the ColtForum dot com, with its' Python section? or a different forum?

At the one I list, both Heffron and Glenn are positively referenced, with over 400 results of a search for either name [but more for Glenn, who may have been around longer].

In the cursory overview, the most recent ones for Heffron were regarding the 'new model' Python, as opposed to the original lockwork design born in 1955.

However, I didn't dive deeply.

I point this out for context: the members of Colt Forum have a lot of great things to say about either of them.

If Heffron is a newer company, that gives me hope of a good 'smith for the next 20 years, as so many Colt revolver gunsmiths have retired or moved on in other ways.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 684 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Yea I saw that too. Heffron doesn't work on original pythons.

posted Hide Post
Not what it says on his www
If your Colt double-action old style revolver isn’t operating properly, or if you wish to you’re your old Colt tuned like a watch, HEFFRON PRECISION© is the best place to send it!

“Thank you so much for repairing my dad’s New Service and Python.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post