SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What is the best Browning Hi Power to look at ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the best Browning Hi Power to look at ? Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted
Seeing Para's Hi Power thread reminded me that I do not have one and always wanted one in my collection.
I looed a bit years ago but remember there were several iterations of this.
Which one, ones, years, etc would be considered the best era to acquire?
Not something for pure collectability but more a blend of performance, nostalgia and collectability as it will be shot.
thanks

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I really like the Silver Chrome 9mm from around the later 80's early 90's that I had.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was always a fan of the practical (two tone) model, have matching 9 and 40 versions of them.

Posts: 86 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's an old friend of mine. 1990 production standard Sport Model, forged frame. Bone stock. Handsome and reliable. I had considered taking out the magazine safety, but I think I'm going to leave it as-is.

Shown with a Mec-Gar 20 round magazine.

Posts: 107599 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
For a shooter most people say the MKIII is better/tougher.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3211 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
As far as collectiblity, I'd say FN Belgium is first with Browning a very close second.
For a shooter, I honestly have never heard of a bad Hi-Power clone. I own a Browning MK III, a FEG and a FM Argentine Detective Model. All have been absolutely reliable and excellent shooters.
I've also never heard anything bad about the Kareem or Israeli guns. The design is so good that you'd actually have to work at screwing it up.
But right now, if you're in the market for a Hi-Power I'd very strongly suggest that you take a hard look at the brand new Springfield Armory SA-35 which was just released yesterday.
I know I'll be buying one. Wink

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This is a MkIIIS, 1995 production, Cast frame, enamel over phosphate. The pistol wears a set of Craig Spegel Delrin grip panels. Very slim in the hand. I've never fired this pistol.

Here's my very late T-series Browning. I haven't seen this one in a while. It's in a safe deposit box.

...along with this one. Here is the earliest Browning-imported High Power you're ever likely to see. According to R. Blake Stevens, High Powers with serial numbers just above 70000 were the first Browning imports of the High Power, in late 1954. Serial number of my example is 70431

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ parabellum, that is a nice collection of HPs you have there!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's my 1989 Mk 3 wth night sights, Hogue Kingswood grips, and refinished by CCR. I bought it with an amazingly crisp trigger, a major reason I bought it.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Para does that last pistol have an internal extractor? Thumb scallop? In my opinion, an internal extractor with no scallop (only made ~2 years) is the most aesthetically pleasing. I have one, and missed out on one with inset adjustable revolver rear sight.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Para does that last pistol have an internal extractor? Thumb scallop?
Yes to both. The external extractor was a change made around 1962.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I wonder how much those sold for back in those days, compared to a new Colt 1911, revolver, or S&W.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know but I could research it. All I can tell you is this is why my example is in a safe deposit box.

Mine is in comparable condition, appears unfired, and the serial number is lower than the one you that went for 3250 earlier this year. The only thing is, the magazine safety has been removed.

You know, I bought this pistol off gunsamerica more than twenty years ago. Back then the pictures of firearms for sale on that site were sometimes very small. I looked very closely at this tiny picture of a High Power, called the guy, got the serial number and bought it right away. I think I paid 900 for it. I asked the guy- how long have you had that ad up on gunsamerica, and he said, oh, about 8 months. No shit. Big Grin

Clearly, my investment has paid off.

posted Hide Post
To many BHP "experts" (whatever that means), the Best of the Bunch of HPs are the "T" and the "C" models. Just get braced on price if they are in primo shape. They could be shooters, but many folks would not shoot them. I own a "C" series Renaissance model that does get shot a bit from time to time.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The bottom of page 217 in R. Blake Stevens' The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've had several over the years but never kept them.

This T-Series was a shooter and handed off to a friend who's a Richmond, VA cop and was looking for one like he used to shoot as a kid.

And an Inglis with stock (it didn't work very well in this config...wobbly).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
PGT, was the leather case in the first picture plaid lined?

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I don't recall to be honest. Got an example? I seem to think it was red but could be totally off on that....it was a factory case.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
PGT, was the leather case in the first picture plaid lined?
I have that same case, made at roughly the same time as the .30 Luger High Power pictured with it. Actually, it's where I store my 1990 High Power. The case has a red felt interior, with a muzzle pocket.

I bought the case in a gunshop in 1982 or 83, I guess a High Power came into the store in trade and the gun store separated the pistol from its case in order to make a few extra dollars.

Picture of mcs1564
posted Hide Post
While I’ve owned a T and C series, I gravitate towards late models MkIIIs, since the entry point is a bit lower, although that’s up for debate nowadays.

I have no issue with stock HPs, but, my preference is modified:

More Pics

My most recent pickup, a ZT date code MkIII. I’ve yet to see a ZR date code, so, the ZTs may be the last new production HPs brought to the States:

------------
SP2022 - 9mm

Posts: 1260 | Location: CT | Registered: January 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post