SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    DAK Trigger System
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DAK Trigger System Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I really like DAK. It is like having a really nice, smooth, S&W revolver that holds twice as much ammunition, and reloads way faster. I developed serious DA revolver skill, because I had to start my LE career with revolvers. In spite of being able to carry autos on duty as soon as 1985, I mostly kept using revolvers until 1997, except for a notable break with a P220 from 1991 to 1993.

In 2004, I transitioned from G22 duty pistols, to a P229R DAK, the first one I found for sale in Houston. The first time I fired it, was on the PD qual range, and I shot a better score than I had with Glocks, in over two years of trying. The second time I fired the P229R DAK, I regained my Expert pin. After running 500+ rounds through it, within another range session or two, the DAK SIG became my duty pistol.

The similarity in triggers really helped as it became increasingly painful to fire .40 Snap & Whip with the P229R DAK, starting in 2011, with my aging hands and wrists. This was, of course, aggravated by the high bore axis typical of most SIG pistols. I did most of my live fire with .22 LR through my S&W Model 17-4, and .38 Special through my S&W Model 19. (I credit the Magnum big-bores I fired in the Eighties for causing most of the damage.)

In 2015, when my chief OK'ed 9mm as an alternative duty pistol cartridge, I returned to Glock at the same time, for the lower bore axis, and because Gen4 Glocks fit my hands better, so I shoot them better than my previous Gen2 and Gen3 Glocks, though not as well as I could shoot the SIG DAK. Perhaps, I will eventually buy a 9mm DAK SIG, or convert my .40 P229R DAK to 9mm. (I will not sell my P229R DAK; we saw too many adventures together. I get sentimental about my long-term duty pistols.)

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JJexp:
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

The DAK is similar to the HK LEM trigger in feel, and I like them both.

This is a question I've been searching for an answer to. How similar are they? In a previous life I was issued an HK USP with the LEM trigger, and I've missed it since turning it in, but I don't miss the USP. A SIG with the same trigger would make me a happy camper.

Very similar. I carried a HKP2000SK on my ankle for several years and got very comfortable with the LEM trigger. I've thought of swapping several of my HK's to the LEM (especially my 45C), but never have. HK's are not known for particularly good triggers, especially double action variants. The LEM changes that.

The Sig DAK is a bit better than tbe LEM in smoothness and feel and stacking toward the end of the pull, but longer. Sigs tend to have some of the best triggers out of the box, in my opinion, and the DAK is no exception.

LEM or DAK; either is a good choice, easy to learn, easy to use. The best thing would be to get hands on one at a range and try it for yourself.

That said, I'm not carrying a Sig presently. If I were, I'd probably be focusing on my 229 Legion, or my old standby, the P239. Neither bear DAK triggers. To me, the DAK smooths out a disjointed crunch-tick effect of double-action/single action, for those who might prefer something other than a da/sa. Sig triggers are very good, either way.

The downside to DAK and LEM is the potential to short stroke, or greater care in prepping the trigger, and more trigger travel and manipulation.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A DAK and LEM trigger feel very different to me. The DAK has weight throughout the pull, the LEM has almost no weight until it breaks at the end of the pull. I prefer the LEM, it's more like a single action trigger.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3537 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post