SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Opinions on Taurus 856?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Taurus 856? Login/Join 
posted
For some reason I like this recent offering from Taurus. My only problem is I swore off Taurus revolvers in the early 1990s. Had bad experiences with three different guns. I realize Taurus has made significant progress in the last 30 years ... so ... anyone with trigger time on this specific model? Likes, dislikes, general comments?

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go with your original experience with Taurus...I'd stay away and not look back. Too many great options out there.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You will not find many on here who think highly of Taurus.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My Dad has two Taurus revolvers; one full size in .44 and a .32 H&R Magnum snubnose and neither has ever given him any issues and they both seem well made.

Maybe Taurus had issues before but it seems like their more recent stuff or at least what he’s got are fine.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
You will not find many on here who think highly of Taurus.

You’re probably right and I have been one of those people based on my experiences 30 years ago.

This is why I am asking for informed opinions on a specific model Taurus revolver, not Taurus in general.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:
I'd go with your original experience with Taurus...I'd stay away and not look back. Too many great options out there.

Really?

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yep, really. I've been burned by Taurus twice. Won't be buying another....especially when I can get similar designs from manufacturers with better QC like Ruger or S&W.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Yep, really. I've been burned by Taurus twice. Won't be buying another....especially when I can get similar designs from manufacturers with better QC like Ruger or S&W.

So where can I buy a Colt D frame size 38spl +P rated 6 shot revolver from ruger or S&W for under $300? That’s the Taurus 856.

I am aware of Taurus’ low reputation. I’ve experienced it first hand 3 times 30 years ago.

I also know Taurus isn’t the same company it was then. The recent lawsuit against them wasn’t for their revolvers but several of their polymer pistols.

I am asking for specific, first hand information on a specific revolver. I assumed some here would have first hand experience with it. If not, so be it. But I try and make decisions based on concrete factual information, not generalities. Hence, the reason I’m asking for specific information on a specific Taurus revolver not weather or not someone likes or dislikes the company.

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
So where can I buy a Colt D frame size 38spl +P rated 6 shot revolver from ruger or S&W for under $300? That’s the Taurus 856

You can't, because it costs more than that to build a quality revolver with quality materials and manufacturing processes, and consistent quality control. The problem with Taurus is not limited to one specific model, but is instead systemic...as evidenced by your past experience, my past experience, and the experiences of many others on this board. Sure you can buy one and maybe you'll get lucky and get a good one...it's not unheard of for that to happen...but there's also a good chance that you won't.

Even if I did have a positive experience with that particular gun, based on Taurus's track record, there's no way I could in good conscience recommend that someone else should go buy one, because I'm not confident that they can produce a functional product consistently.

If you like the gun and want to give it a try, by all means buy it. I sincerely hope it serves you well. But you aren't likely to see many glowing recommendations from prior Taurus owners on this board, for reasons that are self-evident.

Posts: 8567 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Taurus hate runs deep here. I have half a dozen in my safe. The shop where I work has sold dozens of 856's with no returns, if that tells you anything. I wouldn't hesitate. My old 92 Compact is still running, along with a number of other revolvers as well. It's funny, if a Sig malfunctions, well, every factory makes mistakes. If a Taurus fails, the entire corporation sucks.

BTW, all you haters who warned me about the G2 was going to have return issues? None yet, folks.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's not only Taurus (although I have two Taurus revolvers, each has been back to the factory more than once, neither is reliable).

"Better QC like Ruger?" How about the new GP-100 that I bought, fired two rounds, then locked up tight. When I mentioned this, somebody else on this forum said that he had had a similar problem with a new SP-101.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any real experience with their revolvers, though their polymer G2/G3 series are dynamite for the money! And their .22 auto pistol seems to be quite popular. I think as a whole they are doing much better than say 10 or even 5 years ago.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Given the price of ammo, even before the panic but especially now, and the value I place on my life, I have never understood buying a "cheap" gun.
There are so many other better options out there for not much more money.
My opinion of a Taurus is that price is the only thing that would attract me to one if I didn't hold my already expressed opinion.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Better QC like Ruger?" How about the new GP-100 that I bought, fired two rounds, then locked up tight. When I mentioned this, somebody else on this forum said that he had had a similar problem with a new SP-101.

I do remember that, and that was indeed a regrettable situation. I still feel bad about how that worked out for you, but IIRC Ruger did make it right. I personally own 6 Ruger revolvers, both double and single action, new and old manufacture, and have had zero problems with any of them. I have thousands of rounds through them, many of which are very hot handloads, with nary a hiccup. My Mini-14 and MKII Target have also been rugged and reliable...the MKII in particular is more reliable than any rimfire semi-auto has any business being. I've also had two other Rugers that I ended up selling (SR-22 and PC Carbine), but that was due to design features that I didn't care for, not because the guns didn't function. Ruger has established a solid reputation by me over years of ownership.

Taurus, on the other hand, has had a 100% failure rate with two examples, and I've got friends who have had problems as well. Maybe Taurus has gotten their act together in recent years, and then again maybe they haven't. It's true, any company can mess up and put out a bad gun...but how far do you let it go before you have to protect yourself and others from a pattern of poor performance? I gave Taurus a second chance, and my buddy took a chunk of lead to the back of his head when that out-of-time POS shaved it off and spit it off the side of the forcing cone...and he was standing 20 feet to my left and behind me. Thankfully there were no serious injuries, but that was the end of Taurus revolvers for me.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Somewhat annoyingly, Neither S&W or Ruger make a small frame snub nosed 6 shot revolver. I find this strange, especially for Ruger which seems to have no problem making a million different variations of everything.

Taurus is selling a lot of these small 6-shot snubs because very few other companies are. And I'm hearing a lot of good things about their G2C and the G3 line. Maybe they've gotten their act together? Is it worth $250-300 to find out, if it gives the OP the type of gun he wants?

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

It's not only Taurus (although I have two Taurus revolvers, each has been back to the factory more than once, neither is reliable).

That was me. Ruger replaced the revolver on their dime, and within 1 month. Ruger QC has been hit or miss regrettably but their standing behind their products has been very good in my opinion. Would Taurus have done the same thing? If yes how long would the replacement take?

You came here looking for specific first hand info on the 856. If you are not finding it due to less than warm feelings on Taurus, then you may have to be the guinea pig. Are you willing to gamble? Are you willing to suffer a potential aggravation like that?

Posts: 3146 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rubec:
quote:
Originally posted by Genorogers:

Really?

I apologize for not having knowledge of that specific model but I have a couple others in my safe from 3-5 years ago that were defective out of the box. They both went back to Taurus, one took 12 weeks and the other 14 weeks so their QC and CS both suck IMO. Friends don't let friends buy Taurus....sorry.

Posts: 932 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Somewhat annoyingly, Neither S&W or Ruger make a small frame snub nosed 6 shot revolver. I find this strange, especially for Ruger which seems to have no problem making a million different variations of everything.

Taurus is selling a lot of these small 6-shot snubs because very few other companies are. And I'm hearing a lot of good things about their G2C and the G3 line. Maybe they've gotten their act together? Is it worth $250-300 to find out, if it gives the OP the type of gun he wants?

quote:

Taurus still has their share of dogs. Our shop has a G2C that needs to go back to make the trigger work correctly; it doesn't go 'click' every time after the striker is reset. We recently had a Judge that came complete with a broken front sight. There was a batch of M65 revolvers that were pretty rough in action AND finish. The 692s we had in late 2019 were just as crude. And don't get me started on that POS Curve bullcrap excuse for a gun. At least Taurus realized what a F-up that thing was and summarily discontinued that piece of trash. The TX22, initially acclaimed but subsequently scorned, sold well but at least a couple that we sold went back for remediation for the notorious off-axis barrel rifling problem.

I get the feeling that Taurus COULD make a good firearm, but they just don't try hard and certainly not consistently enough. We just got in a NIB black G2C whose rickety action strongly reminds me of the POS PT111 Millennium Pro I once owned, totally unlike the relatively refined 2-tone G2C we already had in the display case. Sure with any Taurus you can probably get a decent one, but I surmise that the odds are greater that you could get a real dog than with S&W or Ruger...or even Charter Arms. To be honest I'd rather take on chance on one of those cheap Rock Island Armory 6-shot .38s than depend upon a Taurus.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rubec:
So where can I buy a Colt D frame size 38spl +P rated 6 shot revolver from ruger or S&W for under $300? That’s the Taurus 856.

Perhaps look into an EAA Windicator? They're made in Germany by Weihrauch and imported by EAA.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
I'm in the camp to stay away from Taurus. My limited experiences were all pretty much crap.

That said, my limited Lipseys small batch of custom blackhawks wasn't far off. On the first range session, the 5th round send the ejector rod/housing downrange with the bullet. Ruger made it right, but still...

It happens with them all, just more often with Taurus.

Posts: 823 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post