SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What do you guys use to clean black powder??
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys use to clean black powder?? Login/Join 
posted
So I got a Pietta reproduction of a Colt 1858 Army black powder revolver from my dad for my birthday and the thing is a lot of fun to shoot but it’s a bitch to clean. I used hoppe’s and butch’s bore solvent and while it worked that black powder is some stubborn shit

Posts: 3372 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I played around with a Ruger Old Army in the early 2000s using real black powder. The fouling is thick, tenacious and corrosive. Conventional cleaning solvents are not meant for it. You need to flood it with hot soapy water so the fouling is carried away.

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
Ammonia is a good thing. Boiling hot water can work, too. Worked for corrosive center fire, as well.

Posts: 12185 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
For a "quickie" cleaning at the range (if feasible), take along a bore brush, a spray bottle of cheap window cleaner, and wipes or rags to clean your hands and wipe down the gun. The water is what actually does most of the work, however. This isn't a substitute for a good cleaning when you get home, more for cleaning out the bore as accuracy degrades from fouling filling up the rifling.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 28015 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Hot, soapy water always worked well for me.

Posts: 13683 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot, soapy water was my schooling. I used Dawn.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16132 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Simple Green when cleaning my muzzleloader. Works well, no nasty “egg” smell. Be sure to lube after whatever you use

Posts: 280 | Location: Pa | Registered: September 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again with the tried and true hot soapy water for the barrel and cylinder, dry them thoroughly and oil them like crazy.

Unfortunately, that does nothing for powder that makes its way into the frame and messes with the moving parts, so an occasional complete teardown is required. Plenty of instructions for disassembly are available on-line, and all the Colt-designed pistols are the same except Ruger. I neglected a couple pistols before I learned this lesson the hard way.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9187 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Windex with vinegar, followed by Ballistol.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21123 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did put the cylinder in my ultra sonic cleaner which I use simple green and distilled water and that seemed to work well but I figured that was more the ultra sonic part than anything doing the cleaning

Posts: 3372 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Like the others have said hot soap and water is good. Clean it right away. Don't let it sit over night. Another solvent the works quicker is mixing equal parts of isopropyl alcohol, hydrogen peroxided, and Murphy's Oil Soap. Make sure you whip the bore and other parts completely dry and oil them after.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tubetone
posted Hide Post
I have that same pistol. I use a bucket of CLP. The type of powder makes a difference.

Posts: 3078 | Registered: January 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I have a stainless Ruger Old Army.
The grips, cylinder, and nipples get disassembled.
Everything except the grips goes in the kitchen sink with hot soapy water.
Then it gets a boiling water rinse with a teakettle.
Then two hours in the oven at 225 F°
After cooling to room temperature, oiled and put away.
Seriously...

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1551 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Hot, soapy water was my schooling. I used Dawn.

This, followed by Ballistol. Make sure the water is really hot so it will evaporate quickly. When shooting my Sharps or 1873 Springfield I run Ballistol soaked patches down the bore every few rounds to keep the fouling down. Lots of Ballistol soaked patches down the bore and chambers until the patches come out clean and leave a film of Ballistol in the bore. I also use Remoil on the outer surfaces as a protective coat.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Thompson Center no. 13 bore cleaner on a rifle muzzleloader. It is easy as it gets cleans very easy and no smell.

Posts: 987 | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Many copper solvents (like Hoppe’s and Butch’s) don’t effectively remove the salts left from percussion caps and black powder. The Windex formulation with Vinegar is popular with some of the black powder shooters I know. Hot water with Murphy’s Oil Soap in it, for a thorough cleaning at the end of the day. Many use Ballistol as a final step, after making sure the gun is thoroughly dry. Some type of a protectant oil is essential to prevent rusting after cleaning BP residue.

Posts: 26952 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are just making a mess with an oily nitro solvent like Hoppe's or Butches.

Water is the answer, it doesn't even have to be hot, although soap helps.

I cleaned my BPCRs on the range with Mike Venturino's recommendation of diluted Windex with vinegar. When I couldn't find Windex with vinegar at the grocery store and did not want to put ammonia on my Winchester and Browning, I went to diluted M-Pro 7.
Dry and oil with smelly Ballistol.

I usually recleaned at home.

Cleaning a black powder single shot is less trouble than trying to get the copper out of my .308.

Posts: 3292 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Hot, soapy water always worked well for me.

Me too...but keep in mind cleaning a black powder revolver is not like cleaning one shot with smokeless powder... you need to break the gun completely down .... every screw and spring inside the thing.... wash all these in hot soapy water, rinse, dry and then lightly oil....

they are fun to shoot put a pain and time consuming to clean.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to clean the bore with water or a little soap in water, then I'd take the rife minus the stock into the shower with me just to flood all the metal parts with water and remove any powder residue.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Hot water and dish soap.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post