SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Weapon mounted light on carry pistol?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weapon mounted light on carry pistol? Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Here of late, I have been trying out a TREX Sidecar with a Glock 17/RMR/X300. Its actually not all that bad but requires a bit more of a concealment garnet.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thought about it for HD shotgun and decided not a good idea to give away location. Have handheld lights, one with red filter when minimal light is needed. On top of that light makes pistol larger more difficult to conceal. For HD purposes I'd be more inclined to spend the money on outside lighting around the home.

Posts: 186 | Registered: December 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Every flashlight I have ever had has always been premium storage for dead batteries.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Having started to set a range bag on fire with a weapon light, IWB could prove an interesting experience. Big Grin Though I’m sure you feel the pain before you burst into flames. lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I would say yes, especially given the availability of extremely small footprint lights.

The biggest arguments I hear folks make against are...
-You are muzzling people or things when using the light.
First a weapon light isn't a replacement for a handheld. You don't draw down on your car to find the keyhole or use it to see the menu in the dark restaurant.
Second even in the event you have a legitimate weapon need/use you do not have to point the light/gun directly at the target to provide enough light for target ID / situational awareness. Modern lights have plenty of power to "splash" off the ground or ceiling in a low/high ready type hold.

-The light will give away your position.
You are not going to be running around weapon light on non stop waving it around like a lighthouse beacon. You are going to likely flash and move etc. You don't need to leave it on and frankly in most cases don't want or need to.

My take is having enough light to positively identify a threat is NEVER a bad thing and if said light also deters the actions of said threat without needing to fire all the better. More tools in the tool box is not a bad thing just use the right tool for the job. Shadowy figure climbing in your broken bay window.....weapon light, looking to see if you spilled wine on on your tie in the dark restaurant.......probably not weapon light.....I mean YMMV but I am going with handheld there. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have a question here for those that have a light on either their carry gun or just at home by the bed gun...

Where do you practice with this?

My gun club does not allow shooting after sun set... are there indoor ranges or even outdoor ranges at night that will let you turn the lights off?

This is a real question... if I was going to have a light on a gun I would want to practice using it in the dark.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Here of late, I have been trying out a TREX Sidecar with a Glock 17/RMR/X300. Its actually not all that bad but requires a bit more of a concealment garnet.

That's a lot of gun for AWIB. More power to you, I could never get AWIB to work comfortably for me let alone a G17, although I did try with a 19.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Both my nightstand pistol and hd carbine have bright as hell lights on them. There I don't mind the bulk and I prefer momentary lighting of a wml in the event someone breaks in after dark. Since I have home field advantage and know every corner and nook I'll leave the lights off.
I like to keep my ccw as plain as I can. Iron sights and nothing on the rail.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My bedside pistol is a G19 Gen 5, it wears a TLR-7. I do carry it with the light sometimes, in a Black Rhino Concealment holster.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not on my P365, but my nightstand gun has a light as does the truck gun.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I don’t wander out after dark too much so No. I do carry a pretty intense pocket light when I do. I reserve the WML for My HD gun..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At work yes, uniform G17 w/X300 and plainclothes G19 w/Tlr-7. Off duty, no.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Okay, I have a question here for those that have a light on either their carry gun or just at home by the bed gun...

Where do you practice with this?

My gun club does not allow shooting after sun set... are there indoor ranges or even outdoor ranges at night that will let you turn the lights off?

This is a real question... if I was going to have a light on a gun I would want to practice using it in the dark.

I don’t use a WML on my carry pistol, but when I put one on a carbine for the house, I practiced at the house. Dry fire practice is something that most of don’t use enough, but with the light it’s really about what you can see and when, and handling the weapon and operating the light-target acquisition. Trigger time is not really the thing. At least not in my opinion.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My suggestion for dry (and live) practice with a WML is to spend time both on activation of the light as part of the draw AND (probably more importantly) using a handheld light and transitioning to WML.

Start with your handheld light on your "target" and then execute a one-hand draw, activate the WML, and stow the handheld (if you think that makes sense). Do the same thing but with the gun held down along your leg or wherever you think you might hold it while searching. Try the same thing while starting with a baseboard or umbrella light technique with the handheld, going to handheld on target, then to WML. Etc, etc, etc. This transition skill is arguably more important than just drawing the gun and activating the light because of the myriad potential scenarios where you would have your handheld out first.

Work the same thing in live fire if you can. It may look stupid, but if you have to do it in the daytime, do it in it daytime for live fire if you have to. You can work the low light portion dry if that's all you've got. In live fire, also work drills of handheld on threat, draw and fire, THEN activate WML. It's very conceivable that your threat will dictate the need to shoot immediately with the handheld light and the WML may only be a factor after you have fired initially.

I think it's very important to incorporate handheld techniques into your low light skills even if you have a WML. Shooting with a handheld is ultimately one-handed shooting and those skills need to be good. The WML, particularly on a handgun, is primarily a supplemental light. If you can get it into your fight, it's an asset.

Does this all sound complex? It is. Find a low light class. Sage Dynamics, Steve Fisher, Centrifuge Training, and many others offer stuff. Travel of you have to.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for training time, I will from time to time just move through the house after dark with an unloaded gun and test out the "splash" of my WML. I found the switch on mine (Streamlight) to be intuitive and when picking up my gun, the extra weight and slight balance change lets me know right away its my WML equipped gun. I have test fired my WML gun to ensure its fully functional.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Yep, dry fire is the key.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post