SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Question Concerning Possibly Discontinued Pistol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Concerning Possibly Discontinued Pistol Login/Join 
posted
Has the Beretta 87 Cheetah model been discontinued, and is Beretta continuing to support it if so? I have a pair, and am wondering whether to keep them.

Posts: 17181 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Regardless, they are .22LR correct? Why would you want to get rid of them?

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are 22LR, but I have a fairly large number of guns and am reducing the inventory. I'm getting older, and I don't want my wife stuck with a large inventory.

Posts: 17181 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I assumed your concern was parts availability, but I couldn't imagine there would 'really' be any concern(s) re: failures on a .22LR Beretta. I don't know the 87 Cheetah well enough to suggest whether it should go sooner or later, but I have the impression people really like them.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9059 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are very popular but kind of rare. The dilemma is all my guns are too nice. I managed to part with one of my Mk 25's and a 226 40/357, but that's just a start. I want to get it down to a dozen or so, that means getting rid of 200 or so.

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There are the handful of ways to advertise and sell a few yourself, consignment at a local shop, or an auction of sorts.

One should factor in costs then get an idea what a FTF price could be.

I live near a State line, over the years met twice at an FFL to buy or sell. I asked the shop ahead of time, then bought or sold as a carry-in, no shipping required. In these instances, one of us lived across the line.

Buying or selling varies by location, if desired one can involve an FFL, even when not required. One may ask why would one do that? Just saying what I’ve seen from sellers, some.

Posts: 6228 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Has the Beretta 87 Cheetah model been discontinued, and is Beretta continuing to support it if so? I have a pair, and am wondering whether to keep them.

I contacted Beretta about an 87 that I have owned since new that Isn’t been reliable and they responded, that it was a legacy gun and no longer supported. They then suggested a third party gunsmith that could possibly help me which I did not do. I still have mine and had a successful outing where I got through 100 rounds without a stoppage which was the first time I was able to get it to do in my over a decade of ownership. The only thing I did differently is use Eezox lube which I use for my SeeCamp pistols. It is one of the nicest looking 22 pistols on the market and from what others say one of the most reliable. While disappointing that Beretta won’t service the 87, it occurred to me they may not have any gunsmiths with actual hands on experience in the states. I’ll also say that my other experiences with Beretta service and times to source parts and backlogs was abysmal. Thank God for Cole’s who was able to source shotgun parts and do the service work in a fraction of the time. Cole’s does warranty work for Beretta shotguns and they were incredible to work with. If your 87s work I wouldn’t sell them, but they still fetch good money and retain lots of value if you decide to move them.

Posts: 2996 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I thought. I have not gotten a response from Beretta USA, so thanks for the info.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Beretta works on a catalog system....things get made in batches. There was a time many years back when the 87 wasn't being made and everybody thought they were discontinued and then they magically came back. They're not being made now but doesn't mean they won't be made again.

The older the 87, the more collectible in my opinion due to changes in how they get rollmarked. Early ones lack the "billboard" warnings, country and year codes, etc and are highly prized.

Posts: 3102 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post