SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red or Green on FO front?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red or Green on FO front? Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
Whats yall's experience?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6339 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both but when one kicks loose or gets dull, I replace with green.

Posts: 3290 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
I prefer green since it's generally brighter than red even in some of the dark indoor ranges I frequent. When using a red dot, it's green only because I don't want a different red dot anywhere close to my window.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Green for targets, red for woods or hunting.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
Green for targets, red for woods or hunting.

Hmmm. hadn't thought of that, assuming the red stands out better against the vegetation?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6339 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Green for sure, made me think of changing out the reds I do have for green. Eek

Posts: 22940 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

Hmmm. hadn't thought of that, assuming the red stands out better against the vegetation?

Yep, way more green than red outdoors.

Posts: 652 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Not FO, but between the green & red dots on my AR, I prefer the green dot indoors & the red outdoors.

IIRC, my BIL's XD-S had green FO & I liked it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15365 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:

Yep, way more green than red outdoors.

That's a YMMV as the human eye can detect more shades of green than it can of red. Also, the color red causes less eye strain than green at night time depending on when you're using your firearm.

Posts: 4204 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
I have and shoot both but prefer red. Your eyes may vary.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3223 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hobby supply stores sell fibre optic in many colors on rolls, very inexpensively. Get whatever color works for you, purple if that's your thing. You're not restricted to the accessory manufacturer's offers.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They say green appears brighter, but I am used to red, so have stuck with it. I don't think it would matter much to me.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer the green and with night sights, that is pretty much what they are. I also have a couple green dot sights which I find much easier to find than the red. Hopefully they will last.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Depends on your eyes. (and your color acuity) I like green and yellow. I've yet to try blue but would like to.

Red? Might as well not be there. In fact, having shot fiber optic sights where the fiber optic fell out, I find that far more useful than a red insert.

Posts: 21121 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Red.

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Shooting many USPSA open division race guns and matches using a frame mounted red dot optic brought me to this observation.

When shooting USPSA targets with an open division race gun at speed, any time you can see the red dot anywhere in the field of view of your optic, and the red dot was on the target, you get the hit.
The red dot you see doesn't need to be centered in the field of view, not even close. All that's needed is see the dot anywhere in the field of view and have it on the target aiming point.

Using iron sight handguns at speed, a red fiber optic insert in your front sight can cause problems. I found that I could see the end of the red plastic fiber optic insert,
(it mimics the optical sight red dot) and a shot was triggered when the red front sight fiber optic insert was not necessarily lined up in the rear sight notch.

So now for any iron sighted handgun that has fiber optic inserts in the front sight, I will not use red.
Any other color is fine as it doesn't look like what you see looking through an optical red dot sight.

It's a mental idiosyncrasy caused by several decades of USPSA open division competition and countless rounds fired.
It is not easy to unlearn. If you can see your dot, and it's on target you get the hit.
Unfortunately, iron sights do not afford you that particular luxury.

So if you shoot a lot with a red dot sight, don't use red for your fiber optic sight.
I don't notice that particular issue using rifles, shotguns, or muzzle loaders, only using handguns.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1550 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
I've gone back and forth over the years 

I've settled on red.

As others have said it depends on your eyes. Everyone is different.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I've also gone back and forth. It's easy as F/O tubes are easy to cut and fit to change back and forth.

I found that I do pick up green faster as it appears brighter to your eye

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Green for me. Red isn't even in the equation. Can't stand red.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4523 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went through a phase where I bought all the colors thinking I was brilliant and going to find the bestest of the best colors. Turns out it is easy. Green and red are the best. By a long shot. To my eyes I can’t say one is better than the other so I have a mishmash of red and green that only changes when I break a rod. No help from me I guess other than to say the blues and yellows and oranges look cool but don’t work as well.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post