SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    LACSD Vintage Filmography of Marksmanship and pre-USPSA Target Scoring, 1936
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LACSD Vintage Filmography of Marksmanship and pre-USPSA Target Scoring, 1936 Login/Join 
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted
Children, do not try this at home.

https://youtu.be/jDP8BRSEjrA

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is badass. Thanks for posting that.

This one is a personal favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrYc__cOmmY

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
How times have changed

Posts: 13818 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that was very cool, thanks!

p229Extreme/P226Tac-Ops/P226 Extreme/P226 SAO) P226 X-5 Blue Moon/P226 X-5 Black and White

Posts: 750 | Registered: March 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Thanks for posting! The LASD Academy was my alma mater and I attended it 40 years after this film was made (1976)! Hard to believe its been 42 years since then, but time does "fly"!!! While we did most of our training at Bisculuz Center (in East Los Angeles), here's a pic from our week long shooting session at Wayside Honor Ranch. Most of the deputy sheriff and police officer trainees were still issued and using revolvers then, but a few departments (Santa Monica PD, Hermosa Beach PD, and Glendale PD) either issued semi-automatic pistols or allowed officers to purchase and carry their own department approved options. A couple agencies had pretty strange policies. One wouldn't allow those with revolvers to carry speedloaders on their Sam Brownes, only loops and dump pouches. Another policy allowed officers to buy and carry S&W Model 59s (15+1 semi-auto 9mms), but they could only carry a single spare magazine!

I'm the second officer from the right (in all tan), shooting my 6" S&W Model 19 that had been refinished in hard chrome by King's Gunworks in Glendale. You can't see them, but the grips on my revolver were original Hogue two-piece models that he had made in his garage, prior to becoming a big business.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
One wouldn't allow those with revolvers to carry speedloaders on their Sam Brownes, only loops and dump pouches.

As I recall, the California Highway Patrol had a dump pouch requirement at the time the Newhall murders. Something about how they looked on a uniform belt.

Neat photo, BTW; thanks.

And those crazy (literally) “trick” shooting demonstrations in the video were common in that era and before.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
One wouldn't allow those with revolvers to carry speedloaders on their Sam Brownes, only loops and dump pouches.

As I recall, the California Highway Patrol had a dump pouch requirement at the time the Newhall murders. Something about how they looked on a uniform belt.

My department pretty much followed where LASD lead.

Loops were worn for any "presentation" event...because they looked better; nickel and brass showing

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
shooting my 6" S&W Model 19

Do you still have it?

Would be awesome to see a photo or three of it.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I to am a LASD alum as well. Graduated the Academy January 1974, Class 163. I also carried a 6” Model 19, which was hard-chromed and carried in a Hoyt forward cant holster. Cannot not remember where I had it hard-chromed but had King’s do some work for me from time to time. I lived in Glendale so they where close. I used Pachmyr grips on most of my stuff back then but use Hogue almost exclusively now.

Small world…

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have mine, the Hoyt holster and photos. I shoot it a few times a year at our local club in Wickenburg on Revolver Day. It is Magna-Ported and shoots like a dream.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

If the enemy is in range, so are you...

Posts: 185 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: May 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kinda flies in the face of those who said the Thompson was "uncontrollable" on full auto.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16110 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Rhinowso- I still have the Smith, but since I almost immediately upon graduation went to a semi-automatic (Colt Series 70-.45 ACP), I only carried it on the street for a few months. In the mid-1990's, I sent the gun off to Bill Davis for conversion to a PPC gun. I still have it, but the original barrel disappeared (probably sold) as were the two piece grips from Hogue. Frown

Prior to the conversion and afterwards it was a great shooter. I was fortunate enough to get the award for being the top shooter in our class. Here's a pic of it now and you can see it in this pic of one of our Class "A" inspections (I'm the hatless cadet in blue on the right).

Ambush-I loved those Hoyt holsters and if I'd stuck with a "wheelgun", I'd have ordered one for sure! They were the epitome of class for anyone carrying a revolver back then and even though some people liked the "Clamshell" rigs, the best of the best were those Hoyts.

Its always nice to meet up with fellow survivors of the runs up "SBI Hill" and in the "Mexican Alps"!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10208 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post