SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Appendix carry on a gun with light - is it supposed to be this uncomfortable?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Appendix carry on a gun with light - is it supposed to be this uncomfortable? Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
I’ve been caring my Glock 43X appendix for quite some time. I just added a TLR6 to it, and it is decidedly much less comfortable to carry appendix in my new holster. Has anyone found that the addition of the light makes things a lot less comfortable to carry appendix? If so, do you have any suggestions?

Posts: 1957 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
You added some bulk to the weapon. I don't know how it can not be less comfortable to carry, especially appendix.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Considering where my pants, jeans, and shorts ride, I've never understood how appendix carry could be anything but exceedingly uncomfortable--with the possible exception of my noisy cricket (Ruger LCP in .380 ACP).

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
On some of my holsters, I add a foam wedge or a Mastermind pillow. Helps aid in concealment by tucking the grip inward, and also acts as a soft barrier against your body.

https://www.mastermindtactics....shop?category=Wedges

A simple 1/4" to 1/2" pad might be all you need.

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 98XJRC
posted Hide Post
My recommendation would be to try another holster. I'm one of those who went from carrying a Glock 43 in a G Code INCOG to a Glock 19 with an Inforce APLC and RMR. I found the larger G19 carried nicer for me. In my experience the extra barrel length allowed the holster to use my body to it's advantage and help kick the but of the gun in vs the shorter G43 that felt like it wanted to kick out.

With the right holster and belt setup appendix carry can be extremely comfortable and is hard to beat concealability wise.

Posts: 782 | Location: PA  | Registered: December 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry my 220 AIWB. Get the right holster and it's no problem.

Posts: 5732 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
I carry my 220 AIWB. Get the right holster and it's no problem.

Small guns can be more challenging. This video is worth a watch

YouTube: PHLster Concealment workshop

Posts: 1173 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just don't try one of those Glock's with a bayonet Big Grin

Jeeps...guns...German Shepherds!

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 29, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Considering where my pants, jeans, and shorts ride, I've never understood how appendix carry could be anything but exceedingly uncomfortable

Yeah, I've tried it over the years with various guns and various holsters, and came to the conclusion that I'm just not built for it. (Besides the other issues like adapting all that muscle memory that's been built up for drawing from the strong side hip.)

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carriganzl
posted Hide Post
I appendix carry a full size (4.25") M&P with a Streamlight TLR-7A, holosun 508T and a spare mag in a Tier1 Concealed Axis elite holster, and I am a large guy. As others have said it takes the right holster to fit you, but I too find that full size guns are easier to carry appendix versus compact.

SCUBA Diving, going down is what we do best.

Posts: 954 | Location: Western NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Either I'm not wearing the right clothes or AIWB favors bigger guys. I can conceal a full size pistol at 4 o'clock under a t-shirt. Just putting on an AIWB holster makes me look like I'm sporting a colostomy bag. I still don't understand how it's done.

For reference, I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, no belly to speak of.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Switching to pistols with accessory rails made AIWB intolerably uncomfortable, for me, so, adding something to that rail would, I think, make the discomfort even worse. I cannot imagine any pistol, plus a WML, inside my waistband, being comfortable, much less concealable.

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Particularly if the light turns on by itself in a dark movie theater.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8637 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
Particularly if the light turns on by itself in a dark movie theater.

What type of holster would cause that?

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Regardless of holster, appendix carry won't work for those with dunlop's disease. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lose the light on the 43X for appendix carry. In fact, for most people, lose the light regardless on a 43X. I constantly amazed at the amount of crap people attempt to carry concealed..

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree with a poster above that a change in holster might be helpful if it’s in the budget. There are quite a few variables but the obvious here is the light will add bulk / thickness. Something else that may be helpful is a ratcheting belt. I use the Kore. If I get into a seating position, I can loosen the belt discretely. If I get up, I can also cinch it to add support discretely. They say carry should be comforting not necessarily comfortable and there is a lot of truth to that. Having been at it for some years, I know what jeans, holster and belt combination to bring me a desired comfort level depending on my activity.

Posts: 28 | Location: FL | Registered: February 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I carry AIWB with a WML daily. Generally a Staccato C2 or Glock 19 with TLR-7A. Almost always in a Tenicor holster. I have also appendix carried a Glock 34 with an X300U in a PHLster Floodlight, and although it was not as comfortable, it was workable.

Holster selection is a major factor. I've used other brands and I really like the minimalism and precise fit of Tenicor's stuff.

The TLR-6 is such an anemic light that I'm not sure it's worth the hassle, though, especially if it's uncomfortable.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post