SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need thoughts on why failure to go into battery with 2 different Sigs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need thoughts on why failure to go into battery with 2 different Sigs Login/Join 
Picture of neverfollow
posted
Went to the range this Sat to shoot the Sig P365 and P229 40SW. Used Federal red box in 9mm for the P365 and Blazer brass for the P229. Loaded mags for each firearm with the mag loader. Sent the targets down range and first up was the P365. First mag ok, second mag had a failure to go into battery 2X (slide wouldn't go all the way into position) in one mag. In both cases cleared the firearm, reloaded the round and all went well. Next up was the P229. First mag fired fine, second mag also had 2 failures to go into battery. In both cases a simple nudge wouldn't move the slide. Cleared the firearm, reloaded the round(s) and each fired as expected. Both firearms were fully greased, neither had any issues prior, and I've shot 100s of rounds through each. My somewhat educated guess was that there were rounds that didn't 'sit' right in the magazines and were somehow interfering with the slide going into battery.

The rest of the shooting went without any issues. Took both home and cleaned and greased the appropriate locations again.

Ill head to the range again this Sat - but in the meantime would appreciate any alternate thoughts on the cause(s).

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I feel your pain, My trusty 9mm EMP which has a better track record then my Gen 3 Glock 19 decided to have a few light strikes last outing.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdshank:
I feel your pain, My trusty 9mm EMP which has a better track record then my Gen 3 Glock 19 decided to have a few light strikes last outing.

My 3" EMP has been dead nuts reliable for probably 1000 rounds. It is my CCW. That would throw me for sure...

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are you a high grip thumbs forward guy? I have induced malfunctions on smaller guns my support thumb riding the slide.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
Could be ammo related. We use whatever we can get in bulk at the range. And we have even had problems with Federal. OAL issues, bad primers, crunched cases ect. Sterling ammo was so bad we took it all out of service and sold it to employees - at a loss.

Barring that as the culprit, I would next replace the recoil springs. IIRC, FTF is an early symptom of a weakened recoil spring. Good luck! Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every time I’ve had that happen it’s weak ammo or very old worn recoil spring.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
The issue is it is two different guns and two different types of ammo... I have to say it; the one common denominator is the shooter.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I have to say it; the one common denominator is the shooter.

Worth pointing out. Maybe have a friend shoot those guns?

My best friend had a Gen 4 Glock 19 he was sure wasn’t holding open on the last round. We went to the range together. Between the two of us, he had close to twenty magazines. We loaded them all with one round and I shot all of them without a failure to lock open. The rangemaster looked at us like we were nuts, but we diagnosed the problem - my friend was riding the slide lock lever.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
The issue is it is two different guns and two different types of ammo... I have to say it; the one common denominator is the shooter.

Either limp wristing or lack of good maintenance is what it looks like.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We used to issue the P229, and now issue P365s as backups (all first-gen models), so I've had quite a bit of experience with both platforms.

If the P365 has a problem, it's the failure to return to battery completely issue. I've seen that on numerous copies of that gun, and heard numerous complaints about it here. The one I had did it a few times in the first 100 rounds, then worked itself out. I believe that design kind of rides the ragged edge of reliability, trying to fit so much into a small package and still make it shootable. As a result it's a little more sensitive than some other designs to environmental factors or shooter-induced issues.

That said, I do not have this same concern about the P229, at least not as a general rule. I have seen them malfunction from limp-wristing, but it takes a pretty severe case. Those guns are incredibly reliable if properly maintained.

My suggestion would be to take them back to the range with an experienced buddy, if possible. Shoot them with a firm grip, and lock your wrists out. Try to let the recoil be absorbed all the way back into your shoulders. Have your buddy shoot them as well. If they work, then you've likely identified your problem. If they don't, then we need to start looking at the guns.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a follow up, 150 rounds through each firearm with no issues, both ran flawlessly.

Posts: 134 | Location: Chapel Hill, NC | Registered: June 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post