SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Website for finding Glock Date of Mnf. and Generation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Website for finding Glock Date of Mnf. and Generation? Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted
Have a couple of Glocks and would like to determine the date of manufacture and what generation they are? Anyone know of a site I could review to determine their history?

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
This website is pretty knowledgeable about firearms. Post some info or pics.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
which model Glocks and what's the first 3 of the serial numbers

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8024 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I emailed my Glock SN to an address that would reply w/ the date of manufacture. I'm sorry, I no longer remember it or if they still do it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Glocktalk Forum used to have a stickie where readers could enter model number and serial number information. It goes back to the very earliest days of Glock in the US. You can get close to a build date.
You can find detailed descriptions on the Web of the features of each generation. No finger grooves = gen 1, 2, or 5. Finger grooves = gen 3 or 4. Removable back straps = gen 4. Lots of other little details accompany those general descriptions for each gen. And don’t forget the gen 3 fish gills.

Posts: 77 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: May 30, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7423 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 81 | Registered: September 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links to Glock information. Will check it out.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1560 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
Glock generations are the easy part.
Grip texture and finger grooves tell you all you need to know.

I used the previously suggested GT link to determine Manufacture dates..

Posts: 4364 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The GlockTalk threads are pretty good at defining the build timeline for individual guns. Not as great as the "birthday" info that SIG now uses straight from the factory, but these are still useful in narrowing the possible build date for most any Glock.

As for this generational stuff: not to complicate things (but I guess I am), there have been some "tweener generation" classifications that have shown up over the decades. To my knowledge these weren't official designations from Glock but have been somewhat commonly used by enthusiasts of the brand to tie down significant variations that don't quite fit the traditional definition (described characteristics) of each formal "generation" build. The most common one that someone might come across is "Gen 2.5", where later build Gen2 frames started commonly showing up with a third cross pin, a somewhat significant structural update to the firearm design. Over the decades there have been other attempts to better pigeonhole the build timeline/sequence of variations that Glock came up with. For instance, early on some owners/purveyors of the RTF2 guns tried referring to those guns as 'Gen 3.5' rather than simply 'RTF2', probably because the former fit more nice and tidy in the whole generational classifying thingy, but as far as I know that effort never really took hold among a wider audience. RTF2 is just RTF2, at least it is for me.

Something similar happened with the front slide serration variants that showed up with Glock's so-called 'summer gun' configuration within the Gen4 production timeline. That too never really caught on since it seemed clear that Glock themselves didn't use this sort of sub-generation type of classification. These were simply limited-production variations and they left it at that. And the same sort of sub-generation nonsense was bandied about--the internet is such a great place, isn't it?--when Glock started making changes to the Gen5 guns to address mostly aesthetic complaints (frame beveling to match the new slide bevel at the muzzle end, etc.). The same sort of frivolous generational chatter that the P365 has been through when SIG issued revisions to fix that gun's early issues.

-MG

Posts: 1999 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
GLOCKCustomerService@glock.us has a pretty fast response time to emailed questions.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post