SIGforum
P229 extended beavertail

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1980008205

August 17, 2023, 03:55 PM
Dave Bean
P229 extended beavertail
The P229 Elite has a long beavertail that jabs my thumb when I put my thumb on the hammer during re-holster. It's actually painful. Is there an easy way to "grind down" the beavertail to the older, non-beavertail form??

David
August 17, 2023, 05:05 PM
Austin228
some elites don't have that, I would not recommend trying to grind the beavertail off.

Just sell it or trade for one without a beavertail P229's are not rare and used ones without beavertails can be found aplenty on gunbroker/elsewere/LGS in the used guns section.

Example, my P229 Elite has no beavertail, not trying to trade it but just an example.
August 17, 2023, 05:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Austin228:
some elites don't have that....Example, my P229 Elite has no beavertail, not trying to trade it but just an example.

All actual named "Elite" models have beavertail and front slide serrations. Sometimes, SIG released models that have the Elite slide without beavertail frame, but they are not named Elite. For example, the Limited Edition P229 Classic Carry is configured exactly like that.

And yes, I agree with not to grind down anything on that alloy frame. You are actually damaging it by doing so. Just sell the one that's giving you problem and buy one without the tail. They are plenty out there.

Q

August 17, 2023, 05:46 PM
Austin228
oh I have that exact limited edition with the slide that says Elite on it, my bad (a CDNN CPO iirc, which is why I didn't know it wasn't a true "elite")
August 17, 2023, 06:55 PM
Exactly! Anything without the beavertail frame is not factory Elite model, even if they have the Elite slide. Yes, CDNN used to sell the P229 Classic Carry (Elite Legacy slide with the round SIG tramp stamp on top, no tail no rail frame, funny looking G10 grips) called the Talo Limited Edition for cheap. They (Talo or CDNN) called them Elite, but that was not SIG's doing.

Q

August 18, 2023, 04:12 PM
4MUL8R
If you decock before reholstering why thumb press?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...
August 18, 2023, 04:51 PM
ah3
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
If you decock before reholstering why thumb press?

Pressing on a hammer during holstering prevents any kind of foreign object or obstruction that might other wise actuate the trigger from doing so. It's a simple and very effective safety measure.