SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Revolver Comparison Pic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Revolver Comparison Pic Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Picked up a Ruger GP100 in 10mm with the 3" barrel. Got home and started comparing it to my 3" Smith & Wesson 3" Model 66. Surprising that they are very close in most dimensions since the Ruger feels much heavier and bigger. It really feels more like a 4" barreled L-Frame Smith than it does my K-Frame 66. The Ruger is not going to replace my 3" 66, there's just something that's almost magical about the feel and balance of a 3" K-Frame.

So then I started comparing it to other revolvers. Top to bottom;

Smith 629-5 Mountain Gun .44 Magnum
Smith 586 No Dash .357 Magnum
Ruger GP-100 10mm Auto
Smith 66-5 .357 Magnum
Smith 640-1 .357 Magnum

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dc54
posted Hide Post
I picked up a GP100 3 in in 44 spl. Balances well in the hand. Kind of wish I’d waited for the 10mm. More versatile cartridge! My 3” 66 is my favorite revolver.

Sigs, HKs, 1911s, Berettas, Glocks and SW revolvers

Posts: 1034 | Location: GA | Registered: February 04, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
I'd long thought that my .357 3" GP100 balances perfectly, right up until I held the 2 3/4" Combat Magnum for the first time. I was amazed at the perception in-hand.

There's only a solitary ounce difference between the 4" 686+ and the 4.2" GP100 (39 vs 40), yet to me my S&W feels more neutrally balanced than the kinda forward-heavy feeling GP100 does, which was the main reason why I elected to buy the aforementioned 3" GP100 over it all those years ago. I trust, enjoy and believe in my two Rugers (I also have a 5" GP100) but the K and L frame .357s are something very sweet in-hand, at least to me they are.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice collection. Those S&Ws look dangerous because they don’t have the frame lock...be careful!

Love my Sigs but carry my Glocks

Posts: 374 | Registered: February 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice set of wheel guns! Your photo makes it seem that the N frame is fairly close in size to the other guns. One has to hold one to appreciate the difference. Thanks for the post,

Jerry

Posts: 158 | Location: Oregon | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post