SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do any LEO’s or high speed low drag door kicker types actually use strobes?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do any LEO’s or high speed low drag door kicker types actually use strobes? Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted
I find it a bit annoying that EVERY flashlight these days seems to have the “disco setting” and I was just wondering if they REALLY are used for defensive/offensive type uses by folks who really might do so?

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I have the strobe feature specifically disabled on my weaponlights, since I don't use it, and it only serves to frustrate me when I activate it inadvertently when trying to do brief momentary lighting.

(For those who are wondering, Streamlight TLR-1S and TLR-1HL lights have a button press system to disable the strobe feature. Press briefly down on the momentary lever 10x, and hold down on the 10th push for 5ish seconds. After 5ish seconds, the light should flash and turn off, letting you know the strobe is successfully disabled. Repeat it to enable strobe again, if you decide you want it in the future.)

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
I have the strobe feature specifically disabled on my weaponlights, since I don't use it, and it only serves to frustrate me when I activate it inadvertently when trying to do brief momentary lighting.

(For those who are wondering, Streamlight TLR-1S and TLR-1HL lights have a button press system to disable the strobe feature. Press briefly down on the momentary lever 10x, and hold down on the 10th push for 5ish seconds. After 5ish seconds, the light should flash and turn off, letting you know the strobe is successfully disabled. Repeat it to enable strobe again, if you decide you want it in the future.)

You, sir, are my hero. I've hated that stupid strobe mode for years, and now it's gone. Ya learn something new every day!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Now you know, and...

Big Grin

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The strobe tends to do well disorienting drunks but that is about it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Never used it. It always turns on when I don't want it. If I can turn it off on my WMLs and handhelds, I turn it off.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8021 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Useless feature and an annoyance. I guess it MIGHT be useful if you were lost in the wilderness and were trying to signal search aircraft.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have disabled the feature on my Streamlights as well. I don’t need it for my uses.

Posts: 71 | Location: TN | Registered: January 20, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

And rookie cops.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I am neither type, but I can see it being as dazzling or disorienting to the user as the person it is being used on.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks that’s about what I suspected.

I as well disable the strobe where possible.

Although I guess if you are plugging a tango full auto and you want to show him the old bullets going backwards magic trick before he dies....well there is that use. Smile

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think I'm high speed, but nope... don't use strobe.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not on WML but it comes in handy on a regular flashliht when getting people's attention in traffic at accident scenes and flagging in the ambulance when you're in a backyard or bushes.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^THIS. Couldn't agree more.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:

You, sir, are my hero. I've hated that stupid strobe mode for years, and now it's gone. Ya learn something new every day!

Thank God for this. I'm doing this to every TLR-1 I own right now...

And thank you for posting that. I've always hated the strobe feature.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the OP, no.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

And rookie cops.

Which is why I use mine on a weekly basis!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
No. The only time they might be useful is disorientation during HR and that can be just as easily and more effectively accomplished in manual mode. I've never heard of anyone in legit SWAT actually using strobes.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to disable the strobe function on a TLR-7?

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Yes it uses Streamlights typical 10 tap system.