SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P320 Accidental Discharge Problem
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P320 Accidental Discharge Problem Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
In thinking about this too much, you know mechanical devices fail... nothing is perfect and especially in mass manufacturing. I'm a fan of Sig, as well as this forum, and have never had one problem with any of the Sig pistols I own, which includes a P320 compact. Still I can see how it could happen... one out of a million or two?

The one item I see that kind of confuses me is it seems that everyone of these 'accidental discharges' happened while the gun was holstered. I would think that if the P320 really had a problem... would not there be some reports of the gun going off out of the holster while getting ready to shoot or after firing or such? Seems like there might have been one somewhere?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Still I can see how it could happen

How what could happen? The gun fires without the trigger being pulled by some means?

If that is what you mean, how could it happen? What mechanical process would make it possible?

That’s the first and fundamental question that must be asked about these claims, and it’s a serious question. I am no mechanical engineer, and if I am missing something about the mechanics of the P320 pistol that could simultaneously pull the sear down to release the striker and push the striker safety up to allow it to move forward, both without pulling the trigger, I would truly like to know what it is.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I completely agree that it could happen. We're talking about fine tolerances here, and QC is clearly not what it once was industry-wide. However, if a gun was out of spec to the extent that it caused an unintended discharge, that condition should be mechanically repeatable...they ought to be able to reproduce the conditions that allowed that specific handgun to fire on its own. And then as an extension of that, they ought to be able to make us aware of the specific issue that resulted in that condition so that we can inspect other guns for the same problem.

I have not seen that demonstrated in a single one of these court cases. They refer to other unintended discharge incidents, and make reference to the pre-upgrade drop safety problems with the P320...but to date nobody has taken a post-upgrade gun and demonstrated how it is supposedly firing on its own with no input from the user. And there's enough scrutiny of the platform now that you'd think if there was an issue, somebody would have identified the specific problem by this point.

Lawyers and politicians...facts don't really matter, it's all about perception. As someone who carries a P320 daily, I'm very invested in the safety of the platform. If there's something wrong with it, I'd love to know about it and be able to inspect my guns for that issue before I or someone I know gets hurt. I guess the one upside to all the legal BS is that there's enough attention being given to this model that if any flaws do develop, they'll be public knowledge in short order.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I'm absolutely wanting a 320.
I've found a few that have the original FCG in them.

So from what I'm reading here, the pistol is just fine with the original FCG?
If so, I'll pick one up soon.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Here's something I read recently about the difference between a Sig P230 and the P232....

seems the P230 had a 'free floating firing pin" and the P232 had a lock on the firing pin... so that it could not fly forward if say dropped straight down and potentially have enough power to set off the primer.... I honestly had never thought about this.

I'm still wondering if there is a problem with the Sig P320 and if in everyone of the law suits they went off in a holster then why aren't some going off while sitting on the range table or such?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:

What is an FCG? If you mean FCU, then no, it's not just fine. The free Voluntary Upgrade will bring the original pistol up to current specs to alleviate the problem of the pistol firing when dropped. This has nothing to do with the pistol "firing on it's own" when holstered.

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:

seems the P230 had a 'free floating firing pin" and the P232 had a lock on the firing pin...

Not sure what one has to do with the other, but the 230 does NOT have a “free floating” fp.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8767 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:

What is an FCG? If you mean FCU, then no, it's not just fine. The free Voluntary Upgrade will bring the original pistol up to current specs to alleviate the problem of the pistol firing when dropped. This has nothing to do with the pistol "firing on it's own" when holstered.

What he said. However, Sig will still upgrade your original gun to the current standard for free, even if you were not the original owner. If you do buy a pre-upgrade gun, I would strongly recommend sending it in for the upgrade. Not only does it have the benwfit of drop safety, but it also adds the disconnector, which protects against out of battery discharge...and your gun will be compatible with current-production parts. There are no good reasons not to do the upgrade, IMO, and plenty of good reasons to do it.

Posts: 8578 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
There are no good reasons not to do the upgrade, IMO
There is one, maybe- collectors wanting an unaltered example.

Posts: 107624 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
I have an unaltered Ruger Single Six.
I know it's dangerous to those who don't understand it.
I've handled it for 40+ years and it taught me how to handle SAA revolvers with no safety.

I can handle a 320 without dropping it.
So I'll be hunting one very soon.

Posts: 39762 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have an unaltered Ruger Single Six.
I know it's dangerous to those who don't understand it.
I've handled it for 40+ years and it taught me how to handle SAA revolvers with no safety.

I can handle a 320 without dropping it.
So I'll be hunting one very soon.

The difference is that the recall to the Rugers significantly changed the way that the gun functioned for the end-user. You lost the 4 clicks, and the trigger pull came back significantly degraded. I have an unconverted 3-screw Blackhawk and would never send it in for the recall, either, but I also don't carry it with a live round under the hammer because it's not drop safe in that manner.

There's no degredation to the end-user between the pre and post upgrade P320. The gun I sent in had thousands of rounds through it, and was very smooth. It came back a little gritty, like a brand new gun, but after some lube and a couple hundred rounds I couldn't feel any difference from before I sent it in.

Like para said above, if you are viewing it as a collectible and value that original condition, then there could be value in not sending it in. But from a practical usage standpoint, there's only benefits to getting it upgraded.

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Is there any advantage to the original FCU, over the "upgraded" version?

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Is there any advantage to the original FCU, over the "upgraded" version?

quote:

Not from what I read. The upgrade is really an upgrade of added safety.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure added safety is considered an advantage. BTW, nobody drops their gun on purpose.

Edit: I think the real question is what is the disadvantage for you to having a current or Voluntary Upgraded P320?

Posts: 3385 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
I'm pretty sure added safety is considered an advantage. BTW, nobody drops their gun on purpose.

They do if the cops tell them to drop it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
So if you had a P320 in your hand and a cop told you to drop it with a gun pointed at you, would you consider it an advantage if the gun didn't go off when you dropped it or not?

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know where this is going, but I'm staying tuned.

probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
That made me laugh out loud when I read it. I think it was the popcorn emoji that that did it. Thanks para.

posted Hide Post
I can't for the life of me think that a 320 would ever have any collector value. A plain jane 320 with no military nonsense or whatever being "unaltered" won't ever be more valuable. What it will be is a gun that will never have any factory service done to it. Ever.

I have been wrong before, but I am pretty comfortable saying that this is not the investment you are looking for. Buy the gun, get the free upgrade. There is no downside.

When I was into the 320 platform I bought a bunch of them cheap. People got scared of the platform and didn't want to deal with the voluntary upgrade (yes that is a silly thing to call a recall but I am not a lawyer). I sent them all into Sig. They came back +/- the same way they went in. None of them would fire if dropped in that particular way. That is a plus in my book.

Posts: 7524 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I can't for the life of me think that a 320 would ever have any collector value.
If you were trying to collect every factory-issued variant of the P320.