SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig Xray 3 sights - U vs square notch
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig Xray 3 sights - U vs square notch Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I’m trying to get used to these on the 320. It seems the tiny rear dots and deep U notch make it very easy to shoot low.

Anyone else noticed this?

If so, has anyone noticed the square notch works better?

I am also open to suggestions for replacing either or both. I am ok with them on the 365 but they are different on the 320.

I prefer the classic P series contrast I sights so I am considering the XS F8 sights, maybe with a paint stripe on he rear.

Since this is a range gun and may be used in stock/production classes, I may consider more competition friendly alternatives.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It’s interesting you would have that problem.
I have always chosen the U notch because it’s sort of the circle within a circle principle, but in actual use I never notice the shape of the notch because I don’t use the bottom of the notch to align the front and rear sights.

When achieving a flash sight picture for shooting at speed, I first (try to) focus on the target and bring the front sight dot onto my intended POI. As part of that process I am also aware of the rear sight wings to help ensure that the front and rear sights aren’t grossly misaligned.

(That of course assumes there’s enough natural light to be able to see the rear sight. Only under low light conditions do I try to see the rear night sight lamps and align them with the front sight lamp, and then of course the shape of the notch is immaterial. I used to think that having rear sight dots that were highly visible under normal lighting conditions was important, but no longer.)

When shooting for slow speed precision I visually align the front and rear sights in the traditional manner of ensuring there is equal light visible in the rear sight notch on both sides of the front sight, and that the tops of both sights are also aligned. Again, the shape of the notch doesn’t matter. I never try to align my sights by positioning the large front sight dot with respect to the rear notch. (I have a square notch on the rear sight of my most recent acquisition, a P365, and realized that prior to just now I never even noticed it was different from my other X-RAY3 sights.)

I would suggest that if you’re focusing on the bottom of the rear sight notch rather than ensuring that the top of the front sight is positioned properly with respect to the top of the rear sight and left/right in the rear notch, you might want to try the method I described.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47412 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think I am attempting to align the 3 dots and the rears are just too hard to see. The deeper U doesn’t allow me to see a partially eclipsed front dot. At least that’s my initial thinking. Maybe more time with this setup will let me sort it out.

Posts: 17901 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't matter that you can't see the rear dots. Focus on the front sight. The shape of the rear should be used to fine tune your sight alignment for more precise shooting, not the dots. Dots are for fast acquisition; shape/light is for precise shooting.

I even prefer blank rear sights, without dots.

In addition, not only are rear sight dots harder to see (and you shouldn't be focusing on the rear sight anyway to try to see the dots), but the front sight dot and rear sight dots also often aren't perfectly aligned. The front sight dot can be slightly higher than the rear sight dots when the sights are properly aligned. If so, this may be exacerbating your low shooting, where in addition to trying to split your attention between the front and rear sight dots, you're also trying to perfectly align all three dots in a row horizontally, which is actually causing your front sight to be low overall.

(There are also other non-sight causes of low shooting too, like flinching/anticipating.)

Notice in the below examples how the overall shape of the sights themselves are aligned - flat across the top and equal light on either side - but the front sight dot appears higher than the rear sight dots:

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
It's strange. The smaller version with a square notch on the 365 feels right. I can't explain it, but the U doesn't process the same way. The perfect box sight picture goes to crap.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
It's strange. The smaller version with a square notch on the 365 feels right. I can't explain it, but the U doesn't process the same way. The perfect box sight picture goes to crap.

I'm with you. I prefer a square notch. Probably something to do with all the rounds I've put down range over the years using that sight picture.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After spending time with the Truglo Tritium Pro sights on a few different handguns, I believe I prefer the U-notch. However, the deciding factor for me in any sights is a more "noticeable" front sight, regardless of U or Square notches.

It might just be those particular sights, but I find the U-notch helps me get a better flash sight picture with more rapid strings. Again, this might be simply a factor of those sights having a very pronounced front sight with a larger white dot and larger tritium vial.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Legions and 365's all have the square notch X-Rays. I added an X-Ray front to my M17/B - Osage County Guns sells individual fronts - and a full set to my P320c/MS. Haven't tried the round notch ones. Only Sig without them is my P225A1, but I think I'm going to leave it stock.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I think I am attempting to align the 3 dots and the rears are just too hard to see. The deeper U doesn’t allow me to see a partially eclipsed front dot. At least that’s my initial thinking.

That could well be the problem. You really shouldn't be trying to align the dots...you should hardly see the rear dots at all. You should be looking through the notch rather than at the rear sight

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14187 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Focus less on the dot and more on the alignment of the sights; the top of the front sight is what matters; it should be even with the rear sight, and shouldn't require more than a flash picture.

If you're facing a light source in low light, you're not going to see dots. You'll see the outline of the sights, and in that case, you're looking for the proper presentation picture: front sight centered in the rear notch and and the to p of front and rear flat, or aligned. Where the dot is, at that point, becomes irrelevant, as you likely won't see it.

The same thing applies in the light. With that in mind, it doesn't matter how deep the notch is in the rear sight.

That said, I like a u-notch or deeper rear sight. If the grip is proper on the pistol, the front sight will bounce or track up and down with each shot, like a sewing machine. The dot becomes a ping pong ball bouncing up and down out of the cup, or notch.

If you're shooting low, it's likely a function of shot anticipation or tensing up on the grip prior to the shot: you're pulling it low. Focus on aligning the top of the sights and press.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post