SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Field holster recommendation?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Field holster recommendation? Login/Join 
Picture of Expert308
posted
I'm looking for a holster for a 4" K-frame revolver. Something to wear for walking in the woods, nothing tactical. Leather or nylon is fine, but I'd prefer to avoid Kydex. Thumb-strap retention is perfectly adequate. The thing that's giving me trouble is most such holsters are fairly high riding, and I'm looking for something that gets the grip down to about the top of the belt instead of 2 or 3 inches above it.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Troll EBay for Bianchi Model 10s. If you want a thumb break, look at the Model 5BH. There are some good deals to be had.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought this for my 4” 686. Absolutely love it. Great quality and fits perfect. It doesn’t ride too high for me. Not as bad as some. Holster at MidwayUSA

Posts: 65 | Location: NC | Registered: September 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I’d suggest having a look at the offerings of Barranti Leather. I’ll admit to a certain bias here, as I’ve found their IWB holsters for revolvers to be second to none.

They have an extensive selection of OWB holders, including more “field” vs. concealed-carry designs.

https://barrantileather.com/sh...gories/belt-holsters

Lead-time has lately been running about 4 weeks. Quite reasonable IMO and well worth it.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love Simply Rugged holsters and highly recommend them. https://www.simplyrugged.com/

There are several holster manufacturers that charge two or three times as much that take two or three times as long to deliver and are two or three times as popular, but after owning most all of those I am now a loyal Simply Rugged customer.

Their sourdough pancake holster with the IWB straps will get you the carry position you are looking for. It allows the gun to sit low which I also prefer.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
El Paso saddelrey Number 2.

Posts: 532 | Registered: July 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Check out Vintage Gunleather, he gets many styles like that from time to time.

https://vintagegunleathertoday.com/

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Some good pointers, thanks guys. I'm going to hit the gun show tomorrow, and if I don't find something suitable there I'll probably grab something from Vintage Gunleather.

Posts: 7268 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blueinterceptor:
El Paso saddelrey Number 2.

Excellent choice. IMHO

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post