SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Caution: think twice before rubbing Aladdin's lamp: I give you the M9A4 !
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caution: think twice before rubbing Aladdin's lamp: I give you the M9A4 ! Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/m9a4-full-size/

"The Beretta M9A4 features the proven design of the M9 series with new modern features that include a red-dot optic compatible slide, a beveled magazine well, and texturized Vertec-style thin grips for instinctive control and a more natural fit for all shooters."

Posts: 15838 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nice pistol, except for that freakin' contraption they glued to it.

Curb feelers on a Ferrari.

Posts: 107234 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Is your objection to the red dot in general or to that particular reddot?

I don't know much about the buriss, but man, they could have picked a smaller and more robust unit.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My objection is gluing that battery-operated zit on a beautiful pistol.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Gotcha. I would not consider the beretta m9 a viable candidate for mounting an optics.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

Gotcha. I would not consider the beretta m9 a viable candidate for mounting an optics.

Slap an LTT Elite 92 RDO slide on the frame and it would be outstanding. I’m a huge fan of the LTT RDO setup, love mine.

Posts: 342 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Just something about the classic Beretta that doesn't want lights or optics on it.

A coworker has an older 92FS and asked me if I wanted it for $300. Never saw money fly out of my wallet so fast. Don't need it but it's $300. No clue what I need it for but it's a Beretta 92FS for $300. G kit already ordered.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7990 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Boy, talk about the need to readjust your muscle memory. And that silhouette pic is just too hilarious in its bizarro factor.

Beretta's use of a Burris RD isn't much of a surprise since it's one of the Italian company's brands. However for us the past Fastfire reflex dots were never particularly impressive in their operation or durability. Too many post-sale returns because of defects right out of the box. With the QC of other brands showing far better, ultimately we got fed up with the headaches and dropped those Fastfire lines.

-MG

Posts: 1927 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
quote:
Slap an LTT Elite 92 RDO slide on the frame and it would be outstanding. I’m a huge fan of the LTT RDO setup, love mine.

I completely agree! While not as aesthetically pleasing as some of my other pistols w/RDS on them, it's extremely functional...my Inox compact.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Beretta's take on mounting a RDO on their slide seems to adhere more to the KISS principle than LTT's.

It looks like they've taken just enough out of the slide to mount the optic plate, but still leave the firing pin block and extractor pin unmolested.
(The FPB work-around really has me scratching my head.)

Langdon's take is to mill the slide, and requires his modified extractor pin, firing pin, firing pin block, as well as modified safety levers and plunger.

LTT's method probably sits a little lower, but I'd venture to guess the difference between the two is negligible.

My training/gaming/carry guns are all Berettas - various 92 flavors and the PX4 Compact. As much as I know RDOs are the wave of the future, I haven't wanted to give up the platforms I currently shoot the best. Both LTT and Beretta are taking a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Now, which design is more durable long-term, well that remains to be seen.
I've come close to sending a slide to LTT for a RDO cut, but remain a little hesitant just to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

Hopefully Beretta is smart and will eventually sell the slides and mounting plates separately.

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
I've only put a few hundred rounds each through my LTT RDO 92 and PX4 slides, they seem solid. I'd say if you want one get it.

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. That optic doesn't look right on a 92 series pistol and it sits horribly high.

Posts: 255 | Location: Oregon | Registered: April 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The benefit of the factory approach over LTT's is that it doesn't require re-certification for LE or MIL use for drop-safety purposes because they didn't touch things in the chain. The LTT sits *slightly* lower but goes way deep into modifying the safety features.

It's nice to have options other than the dumb dove-tail mounts people insisted using on these things.

That said, I'll be keeping my 20+ examples of the 92 in original configs and have no plans to add an M9A4. I might get one of the 92X Defensives if they are ever offered here (all steel, RDO slide and frame safety version).

Posts: 3062 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd say if you want one get it.

Odds are I probably will at some point, but want the kinks worked out first.

LTT has already changed how he mills the PX4 Compact slides and version 1.0 milled slides can't be cut the version 2.0 way.
quote:

"We will not be able to upgrade the old PX4 RDO system to the new system. If someone already has one of our old RDO cut PX4s, we cannot make this new cut into their slide. The cut is in a different location further back from the breach face of the pistol. It does not leave enough material for the front dovetail."

Posts: 12536 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Ugly? Sure. But does it work?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
No, jhe. It doesn't work. There's no red dot. Hell, there's not even circuitry in the damn thing. Matter of fact, it's made out of styrofoam.

Looks pretty realistic, though, doesn't it?

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
I'd say if you want one get it.

Odds are I probably will at some point, but want the kinks worked out first.

LTT has already changed how he mills the PX4 Compact slides and version 1.0 milled slides can't be cut the version 2.0 way.
quote:

"We will not be able to upgrade the old PX4 RDO system to the new system. If someone already has one of our old RDO cut PX4s, we cannot make this new cut into their slide. The cut is in a different location further back from the breach face of the pistol. It does not leave enough material for the front dovetail."

Right. I have a "v1" PX4 but I don't care about co-witness since it's just a range gun

Posts: 4075 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I was planning on a 92x but I’ll wait for this. I bought a compensator recently and my 92 shoots awesome with it, but I like the classic 92 look and the compensator ruins it for me. This will work very well with the comp though.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Beretta 92 series pistols have always been just kinda "meh" to me.
I shot a lot with them in the Marines, on the Police Dept, and a few other places.

I was never a fan of the trigger on them, but can still hit pretty accurately with one.

They tossed a Red Dot mount on them now because, well... Why not?
Everyone else is doing it, so why not Beretta?
And if they didn't, somewhere soon down the line, customers would ask "hey, why don't you have a mount for a Red Dot yet? Everyone else does!"

At the end of the day, it makes the pistol slightly more "functional" in certain situations.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8314 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
Beretta's take on mounting a RDO on their slide seems to adhere more to the KISS principle than LTT's.

It looks like they've taken just enough out of the slide to mount the optic plate, but still leave the firing pin block and extractor pin unmolested.
(The FPB work-around really has me scratching my head.)

Langdon's take is to mill the slide, and requires his modified extractor pin, firing pin, firing pin block, as well as modified safety levers and plunger.

LTT's method probably sits a little lower, but I'd venture to guess the difference between the two is negligible.

My training/gaming/carry guns are all Berettas - various 92 flavors and the PX4 Compact. As much as I know RDOs are the wave of the future, I haven't wanted to give up the platforms I currently shoot the best. Both LTT and Beretta are taking a step in the right direction, IMHO.

Now, which design is more durable long-term, well that remains to be seen.
I've come close to sending a slide to LTT for a RDO cut, but remain a little hesitant just to make sure all the bugs are worked out.

Hopefully Beretta is smart and will eventually sell the slides and mounting plates separately.

I have yet to hear of any bugs w/ the LTT RDO cuts. I am pretty sure Ernie and the crew run the pee out of theirs. I have approx. 1000-1200 rounds through mine w/o a hiccup. That includes hot, cold, dirty, clean, USPSA, shooting little groups at slow speed, inside, outside, and a teenage girl w/small hands. I bought the LTT cut slide. So, I can put my traditional slide back in if I want. No need to send your slide in to get cut unless you really want to.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post