SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone replaced their Ruger GP100 grips with all wood aftermarket grips?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone replaced their Ruger GP100 grips with all wood aftermarket grips? Login/Join 
posted
I am considering it.
Did you keep them on or go back to the o.e.m. rubber jobs?

I had them on my SP101 and thought they were fine.

Thanks to those in advance for
Any consideration you choose to give this.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a 6 inch GP100 with some Badger grips on it. I quite like it.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple GP100's. I always thought the grips were way too big and replaced them with the same factory rubber/wood(ish) insert but in the compact size. Massive difference and improvement to me. I love wood grips but whenever I buy them I always gravitate back to rubber, it just works better if recoil is present.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always thought the grips were way too big and replaced them with the same factory rubber/wood(ish) insert but in the compact size.

Same as far as the stock grips go. I FAR prefer the compact rubber/wood grip.

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
I like the rubber and wood grip on my 6” blued, but I put Eagle Heritage grips on my 5” Lipsey’s .357. Had to fit them a bit, but they made a huge difference.

Posts: 271 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Here is an old picture I dug up of my Badger gripped Rugers.

posted Hide Post
The o.e.m. grips are great.
But winter is coming,
Am considering carrying it concealed.
So I need the smooth surface.

Do you find that you shoot as well with the aftermarket grips? Maybe better? Maybe worse?

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Hogue Match Champion wood grip on mine and absolutely love it. It offers a different gripping angle than the rubber types and fits me perfectly. They have a slight texturing to them which is actually quite comfortable to grip and doesn't snag on clothing.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also put the OEM compact grip on mine. I like the wood and rubber combo.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've tried a couple of aftermarket wood stocks but found them either slippery and/or harsh with .357 recoil. The older OE rubber grip that uses the wood inserts I also tried, but it doesn't offer much better cushioning than wood stocks. Plus I managed split the webbing of my hand wide open using a set of those; lesson learned.

The fugly overmolded grips work the best for me. Dampens recoil to the point where I can shoot range .357 quite literally all day long...well at least until my shooting elbow starts to complain.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The Wood grips are more slippery but I don't have a recoil issue with them.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of wood grips on the GP100...

I bought my GP100 Stainless used and it came with the Hogue Cocobolo Grips. Though you do get the feeling they're a bit slick when handling the gun, I have a 100% positive grip w/ ZERO slip when shooting it. Recoil is VERY controlled, straight back into the hand...And I only shoot full power .357 Magnum loads in this revolver! Wink

I liked the wood grips on my GP100 so much I bought another...I give you the GP100 'Royal Phoenix'

The 'Royal Phoenix' came stock with the Hogue wood grips from Ruger...And a high polish blued finish! It was a limited run of 595 guns (according to Lipsey's), and some would say the best looking factory GP100 ever made! Cool

Unfortunately, my crappy pics don't do this gun ANY justice! Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Hogue grips are very nice, but their attachment system isn't great for a concealed carry gun. They get pretty long.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^That may be true, but who said anything about CCW...They are range toys, or dare I say, 'Barbaque Guns'! Razz

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8884 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did, four posts above

posted Hide Post
quote:
The Wood grips are more slippery but I don't have a recoil issue with them.

I suspect my small paws have a lot to do with ability to hang onto any of the wood grips properly. Not enough skin area to really hold the gun firmly. With the factory overmolds, I think I get away with a lot more "incorrectness" because they do provide really good traction to compensate.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I did, four posts above

Oops, I somehow missed that! Nevermind then...I'd stick withe the old school wood inlay rubber grips on a GP100 used for CCW.

Live Free or Die!

posted Hide Post
As much as I like wood grips they aren’t ever as good in real life as a good rubber grip. Especially in bigger recoiling guns.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post