SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Red Dot mount for S&W 5906
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot mount for S&W 5906 Login/Join 
Picture of 9mmnut
posted
Recently acquired a 5906 and would like to mount a red dot sight. Where can I find a mount?

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I don't know of any purpose-built red dot mounts for a 5906. By the time modern pistol-mounted miniature red dots started to become commonplace, the S&W 3rd Gens were already discontinued, had been dropped by nearly all LE agencies, and had been surpassed by newer models for most concealed carriers. So there really wasn't any demand for a 5906-compatible mount for a modern red dot.

So you'd have to look at having the slide custom milled for a red dot, if that is even possible based on how the 5906's slide is laid out internally. (There may not be enough open space, or enough metal thickness, to allow for a milled mount on the slide.) I have yet to see any of the custom slide milling shops advertise S&W 3rd Gen milling, but I don't know if that's because it can't be done, or just because nobody has ever wanted to spend the time exploring how to do it due to the negligible demand.

Otherwise, if it's a 5906TSW (with a rail), you may be able to find a generic bridge mount that attaches to the rail, similar to this:

Or you may be able to find a generic rear sight dovetail optic mount that fits (or could be custom modified to fit) the 5906's Novak rear dovetail, similar to this:

Or this:

Or have a custom mount fabricated and installed, like this old school optic mount that is screwed into drilled/tapped holes in the frame:

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are your intentions with the pistol? You're not going to be able conceal any of the contraptions pictured above.

Do you want a clean integrated look like a Sig or a Glock? I was looking at my Smith 4566 and I just don't see how a Trijicon RMR would mount up cleanly without losing the use of the rear sight plus there would have to be space in the slide to drill the holes for the mounting screws without interfering with anything.

You could look for an adapter plate (Trijicon) that would fit in the rear sight dovetail but again you'll lose the use of the rear sight.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Would be removing rear sight.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
I finally found a mount for the SW5906. If you are looking for a red dot mount check out EGW Mounts. Have couple on order.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Could you provide a link for the specific mount? I'm only seeing mounts for S&W M&Ps, Shields, 1911s, 52s, and revolvers on their website.

Are are you just going to do something like make a 52 or M&P mount work by hand-fitting?

https://www.egwguns.com/catalo...x/?p=2&q=S%26W+mount

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
IT is #49330. Same mount used on SW 1911. Fits the 59 series. May need bit of mods.