SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Factory Test Fire 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory Test Fire 1911 Login/Join 
Picture of Gambit
posted
Does anyone know if Sig test fires their 1911s at the factory?
TIA

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I certainly hope so.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
Here is a little tidbit of information.
Just because it was fired at the factory doesn't mean it's made correctly, or fitted correctly.

Back about 8 years ago I purchased a brand new all stainless steel Colt Gold Cup National Match .45ACP from one of the Forum's favorite vendors.
The purchase was without incident. And I place no blame with the vendor.

I got the new Gold Cup out at the range and it worked and shot great. A good friend of mine happened to be at the range that day, and he happened to pick up one of my fired cases.
He's a pistolsmith and looks for bad things in a new gun, especially 1911's.
He said something like "Holy Shit, that firing pin strike is really off center" and then we fired another round and he caught the fired case in the air. (to verify it was actually mine)

Yup, really bad off center. Called Colt, got an idiot customer service person... Emailed this photo. (below)

That Colt went back to the factory, they replaced the slide. They should have replaced the entire gun. I soon sold that Colt.

I won't ever buy another Colt. They can kiss my ass.

Gold Cup by cee_Kamp 32ACP, on Flickr

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1551 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine was test fired both when it left the factory in 2013 & when it went back for a bbl. issue in 2014. Sig 1911 RCS, (Officer's model grip length, 4" bbl., alloy frame) HTH's Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 729 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I believe Sig test fires all guns before they leave the factory.

That being said, many years ago I bought a Sig Hammerli Trailside .22 pistol. Had a test target that was cutout and inserted into a hanging button. Group was amazing.

1st time I took it out, on the 3rd trigger pull of a full magazine the gun burst fired 4 rounds. I was shocked. The gun did it several more times and did a slamfire when releasing a locked slide onto a loaded magazine.

It went back to Sig, they replaced the gun and gave me 2 spare magazines for my trouble. The new gun they sent worked perfectly.....

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4526 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Only Kneel
to Almighty God
posted Hide Post
I recall watching on How It's Made that UBERTI (Or one of the clone makers) test fires their weapons with cartridges that are double the standard pressure.

Posts: 3427 | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I went to a Sig Academy instructor course with a Sig factory employee whose job it was to test fire new guns before they are shipped. They don't shoot a record target they just make sure they go bang. My understanding is they test fire every one.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a factory visit for a few years, but did several before the latest nobody in the building crisis. They fire everything. Its for function only not (as many newbies ask) to make sure the sights are aligned or any other total silliness on a production line. Its a volume production check period.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
Here is a little tidbit of information.
Just because it was fired at the factory doesn't mean it's made correctly, or fitted correctly.

Back about 8 years ago I purchased a brand new all stainless steel Colt Gold Cup National Match .45ACP from one of the Forum's favorite vendors.
The purchase was without incident. And I place no blame with the vendor.

I got the new Gold Cup out at the range and it worked and shot great. A good friend of mine happened to be at the range that day, and he happened to pick up one of my fired cases.
He's a pistolsmith and looks for bad things in a new gun, especially 1911's.
He said something like "Holy Shit, that firing pin strike is really off center" and then we fired another round and he caught the fired case in the air. (to verify it was actually mine)

Yup, really bad off center. Called Colt, got an idiot customer service person... Emailed this photo. (below)

That Colt went back to the factory, they replaced the slide. They should have replaced the entire gun. I soon sold that Colt.

I won't ever buy another Colt. They can kiss my ass.

I'm a 1911 gunsmith. The way I learned, all of mine are built to impact off center. Bullseye gunsmiths learned a long time ago that hitting the center of the primer produces a less optimal burn than slightly off center. Perhaps your Colt was set up by someone who thought it might be intended for precision pistol shooting? There are a number of quirks with 1911s that don't seem right to the layman, but are intended to be that way.

Posts: 67 | Registered: May 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I'm not fussy on it being perfectly centered.
Reasonably close is fine.
That one was off a country mile.
Good riddance of bad rubbish.
Colt... Fancy name, on a piece of junk.
It was brand new, that's how Colt built it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1551 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I bought an Ed Brown Evo in 9 mm in 2019. I wanted a semi custom 1911. I expected it to function and perform flawlessly. Loaded the magazine with FMJ range ammo. Drop the slide- bang. 2nd round doesn’t chamber. Release slide, bang. 50 rounds like this. Back to the dealer- factory checks gun out, opps 38 Super recoil spring. 2 new Ed Brown mags are returned with the gun.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post