SIGforum
Has anyone looked into the Sig P250-22

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/1640070524

May 31, 2017, 10:16 PM
evolution
Has anyone looked into the Sig P250-22
I was looking through a Sig Catalog I picked up at the NRA convention and found the Sig P250-22lr.

Until then I had never heard to it; it appears to be a fully 22lr pistol.

Anyone know anything about it?

GeorgiaCarry.org
National Rifle Association
Life Member
May 31, 2017, 10:25 PM
RogueJSK
Yep, I looked into it a few months ago, as a companion to my P320s.

The fact that Sig has discontinued all the P250s other than this .22 version gave me pause. Then I read that it did not hold the slide open on the last round, which seems like a big no-no for a .22 since they're not supposed to be dry-fired.

So I decided to pass on it. When/if Sig ever comes out with a P320-22, I may give that a shot.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it being a "fully .22LR pistol", but the P250-.22 has a standard P250 grip and Fire Control Unit, paired with a .22 slide assembly and magazine. Using that grip and FCU, you can swap the .22 slide and magazine for any of the other P250 caliber exchange kits.
May 31, 2017, 10:44 PM
evolution
I didn't realize you could swap FCU's like that; I was under the impression it was a 22 and that was all.

Thanks

GeorgiaCarry.org
National Rifle Association
Life Member
June 01, 2017, 05:19 AM
geektoad
I may be wrong, and will no doubt be corrected if I am, but my understanding is that the reason the P250-22 is still in the Sig catalog is because they will not be making a .22lr 320. Given that the 250/320 are the same frame (therefore pretty much the same for training though one is hammer fired and the other striker fired), there isn't much point in engineering a striker fired slide to call it a 320.
June 01, 2017, 06:39 AM
RogueJSK
There has been no talk of a P320-22 anytime soon, but that doesn't mean it won't happen.

The main benefits to producing a P320-22 is to allow it to be interchangeable with other P320 caliber kits (like the P250-22 is with P250 kits), as well as to have a similar trigger pull for training purposes. The P250's long DAO trigger pull and long reset is different from the P320's shorter trigger pull and short reset.
June 01, 2017, 07:05 AM
gc70
A P320-22 would be fairly revolutionary.

I am only aware of two striker-fired .22 pistols - the Beretta Neos and an after-market Glock conversion.

Several popular striker-fired guns -such as the M&P and PPQ- have .22 versions that are actually hammer-fired.
June 01, 2017, 08:18 AM
exfed2001
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
which seems like a big no-no for a .22 since they're not supposed to be dry-fired.

Supposedly the 22 adapter is safe to dry fire as the firing pin cannot make contact with metal at its full extension.

One thing to be careful of if you do use CF ammo, the slide lock lever will need the heftier flat coil spring and button and not the thin wire coil spring that comes with the 22. Otherwise your slide will be locking up before the mag is empty as the release bounces with recoil impulse.

---------------The Answer Is There Is No Answer---------------
June 01, 2017, 08:54 AM
RogueJSK
quote:
Originally posted by gc70:
A P320-22 would be fairly revolutionary.

I am only aware of two striker-fired .22 pistols - the Beretta Neos and an after-market Glock conversion.

Several popular striker-fired guns -such as the M&P and PPQ- have .22 versions that are actually hammer-fired.

I'm not sure if "revolutionary" is a good descriptor. As demonstrated by the other striker-fired .22s you've mentioned, it's been done before. It's just that a hammer-fired .22 is cheaper/easier to make.

It's also possible that a hammer-fired system could conceivably result in better reliability with rimfire ammo than a striker. But even if that's true, the Neo and the Glock conversions are proof that a reliable striker .22 can be made.
June 01, 2017, 02:51 PM
Il Cattivo
One way or the other, I really wish SIG would go ahead and start making .22s and mags that lock back the slide after the last shot. I know mags have been made that work for the 220 conversion, but I'd really like the factory to address that.
June 04, 2017, 03:23 PM
AUTiger89
I have one and fired it for the first time last weekend. Ran fine with CCI Mini-Mags.

The slide does not lock back on the last round.

Phone's ringing, Dude.